Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - Technical Support > Bug Reports Forum

Bug Reports Forum Have a bug to report? Please post here.

Old 03-24-2020, 11:08 PM   #1
poopedinspace
Bat Boy

crashed_on_startup

Hi all - I've spent the past hour trying to find a solution online but have not been successful.

I am running Linux beta on my Chromebook. I have installed and reinstalled both Steam and OOTP and restarted a half dozen times. Whenever I launch OOTP 21 I get the message:

OOTP found that the crashed_on_startup flag is set. Obviously the game crashed when you started it last time. OOTP will reset the graphics settings to default values. You can set them back later in the Game Preference dialog.

Please let me know what other info is needed to diagnose and resolve. Appreciate any help!
poopedinspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:01 PM   #2
steelmen1994
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I'm getting the exact same issue. Was hoping there would be a way to play OOTP on the Pixelbook Go. Steam installed fine but then I received the same error message when I tried to launch OOTP 21.
steelmen1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 03:05 PM   #3
TJG
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopedinspace View Post
Hi all - I've spent the past hour trying to find a solution online but have not been successful.

I am running Linux beta on my Chromebook. I have installed and reinstalled both Steam and OOTP and restarted a half dozen times. Whenever I launch OOTP 21 I get the message:

OOTP found that the crashed_on_startup flag is set. Obviously the game crashed when you started it last time. OOTP will reset the graphics settings to default values. You can set them back later in the Game Preference dialog.

Please let me know what other info is needed to diagnose and resolve. Appreciate any help!
Same boat here. I reset the flag to 0 in app.cfg file, which gets rid of that pop up, but it will crash on the next attempt, and the cycle continues.
TJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 03:23 PM   #4
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

The most important thing to have would be the trace file.

Go to the following folder, assuming you installed OOTP to the default location and are on a Windows machine:

C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Roaming\Out of the Park Developments\OOTP Baseball 21\config

Open the app.config file.

Find the line that says

trace_mode

and change it to

trace_mode

Then restart the game and let it crash.

Then go to the following folder (again assuming a default install): C:\Documents\Out of the Park Developments\OOTP Baseball 21\debug

and find the file called ootp_trace.txt

Note: The links above may be different on some systems. Worst case, you can do a search for the specific files.

Attach that to your post as a .csv file so we can take a look at it.

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here
Lukas Berger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 07:04 PM   #5
poopedinspace
Bat Boy

Not entirely sure I did this correctly...attached as a .csv.

Also, FWIW, I have the previous 5 version of OOTP. OOTP 18-21 all give the same message, but OOTP 17 works just fine.
Attached Files
File Type: csv ootp_trace.csv (4.7 KB, 152 views)

Last edited by poopedinspace; 03-28-2020 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:20 PM   #6
poopedinspace
Bat Boy

Hey all - I managed to get the game working on my Chromebook.

In Steam I went to the game's properties and there is an option for "Force the use of a specific Steam Play compatibility tool". I changed it from Steam Linux Runtime to Proton 5.0-5. It took a few minutes to update, and then the program launched! I haven't gotten into the game to mess around yet but I've gotten this far.

Hope this is of use to someone!
Old 05-02-2020, 01:32 PM   #7
Archelirion
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopedinspace View Post
In Steam I went to the game's properties and there is an option for "Force the use of a specific Steam Play compatibility tool". I changed it from Steam Linux Runtime to Proton 5.0-5. It took a few minutes to update, and then the program launched! I haven't gotten into the game to mess around yet but I've gotten this far.

Hope this is of use to someone!

I hope this isn't too forward but... but I love you.

I use Ubuntu and had the dreaded 'OOTP found that the crashed_on_startup flag is set. Obviously the game crashed when you started it last time. OOTP will reset the graphics settings to default values. You can set them back later in the Game Preference dialog.' message. No trace, no crash dump, nothing. This worked an absolute treat.

All the previous threads I've seen on this (and including mine, I've seen a few ) have ended in a dead end. Maybe pop this in an FAQ or something.
Archelirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:11 AM   #8
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Yeah, this is awesome, thanks for figuring that out poopedinspace!

I added an article to our knowledgebase about this on our support site.

Old 08-29-2020, 06:42 PM   #9
catskinsox
Bat Boy

I just installed the game on Linux and am having the same issue. This "solution" should not be acceptable. By changing to Proton, you are installing the windows version of the game and playing thru Wine, essentially. This should not be an acceptable solution. It DOES work, but you are basically just ignoring the actual problem, which is the Linux version is broken.
catskinsox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 02:16 PM   #10
catskinsox
Bat Boy

No response to this? You are advertising Linux support, then advising people to use the windows version.
Old 09-05-2020, 03:25 AM   #11
catskinsox
Bat Boy

Hello??? Will someone respond to the fact that your linux version of the game is broken and apparently has been for months?
Old 01-31-2021, 05:49 PM   #12
stowolf
Bat Boy

same problem, it crash under linux. And indeed, selecting proton is like using wine, and it removes alor of functionality(like the trackpad isn't working on my laptop. Kinda make playing... difficult)
stowolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 04:52 AM   #13
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by stowolf View Post
same problem, it crash under linux. And indeed, selecting proton is like using wine, and it removes alor of functionality(like the trackpad isn't working on my laptop. Kinda make playing... difficult)
If you fill out a support ticket here or by sending an email to support@ootpdevelopments.com the support guys can try to work with you a bit to see if we can get things running for you. There are so many different Linux distros, it's impossible to make sure things function optimally on all of them, but there are some tricks that can hopefully get things working better for you.

Old 02-01-2021, 09:45 PM   #14
stowolf
Bat Boy

Already did over the weekend I just saw this thread too https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=317402

Adding opengl_mode 4 solved the crash on startup but it crash on the first game now I will wait for support to contact me back.

Last edited by stowolf; 02-01-2021 at 10:28 PM.
stowolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:21 AM   #15
jhw
Minors (Rookie Ball)

So, after the support was no help at all, I found a solution for the crash on startup problem on Linux:

You have to delete the following file from the lib64 folder in the Game directory: libstdc++.so.6

Of course you also need to clear the crash on startup flag in the config file. Afterwards the game runs fine again, fully native on Linux.
jhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 02:23 PM   #16
jerichox
Bat Boy

I'm getting the same error. Can you look at my attached file and let me know if there is a solution?

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: txt ootp_trace_2023-09-18_13-19-14.txt (5.4 KB, 7 views)
jerichox is offline   Reply With Quote