Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP Mods Logos, roster packs, historical databases, OOTP tools, FaceGen files... it's all here!

Old 04-15-2010, 11:53 PM   #1
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

The Unofficial Storyline XML Thread

So the beta team has promised to come out with a guide to editing the XML but 3 WHOLE DAYS IN and they haven't come out with it. So... I will go ahead and get an unofficial let's-figure-this-out sort of thing. Please feel free to add to this thread with your own discoveries.

The Format
------------------
<STORYLINES> Everything in the file has to come in between this tag to work.

<STORYLINE id="Routine Absence - Missed Flight"> - Each individual storyline is contained in this tag. The id itself appears to be able to be just about anything; just don't repeat them. Settings you can put inside of it (meaning before the end bracket) include the following. It appears that you don't have to include all of the parameters but I don't know what the defaults are:

random_frequency="20" - How often the event occurs. The higher number means the more often but beyond that I have no idea how the game figures this out.
storyline_happens_only_once="0" - Obviously a boolean; a 1 means it happens just once, a 0 means it can happen over and over again.
min_usage_interval_days="30" - Likely the number of days that must go by before this event plays again.
in_spring="0"
in_season="1"
in_offseason="0"
- More booleans. These explain themselves, I think.
league_year_min="1950" - The minimum year an event can occur. Is there a maximum year tag?
is_minor_league="0"

<REQUIRED_DATA> - This section includes the data objects that will be referenced in the upcoming stories. Objects you can have include:

<DATA_OBJECT type="PLAYER" /> - The first item on any list; this is the primary subject on the story. In the text section, you'll reference this person using [%personlink#1 f l] where f indicates the game will show the first name and l the last. The next two data objects can be similarly represented with [%personlink#2 f l] and [%personlink#3 f l].
<DATA_OBJECT type="TEAM_MATE" /> - A randomly generated(?) teammate.
<DATA_OBJECT type="MANAGER" />
<DATA_OBJECT type="TEAM" /> - Represented in the text portion by [%teamnickname].

In the initial xml, the data objects are always in this order. Are there more data objects available?

Some of the parameters that can be used to exclude players from getting some events are:

player_leadership_max="100"
player_work_ethic_min="100"
player_work_ethic_max="100"
person_greed_max="75"
player_leadership_min="180"
person_age_min="33"
person_age_max="25"
player_nationality_id="56" - In the xml, this is used to reference a foreign player. Is this a player from a specific country, or does "56" just reference "any foreigner"?

Note that, like the parameters in the opening storyline, you need to include these in the data object brackets. Can you select teammates and managers the same way you do for the player? In the opening XML, the subject player is the only person who has these parameters.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:59 PM   #2
RandyTiger
Hall Of Famer

Interesting. Thanks, Syd, that's most helpful!
RandyTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:04 AM   #3
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Nation 56 is the Dominican Republic.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:45 PM   #4
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

Interesting stuff. I didn't see this until now, but was going through the xml the other day. A couple more observations:

Morale can increase or decrease:
<ARTICLE id="3" previous_ids="1" wait_days_min="6" wait_days_max="10" morale_decrease="80">

Injury can be set:
<ARTICLE id="3" morale_increase="40" injury="1" injury_description="Personal leave" injury_length="2">

Suspensions can be set:
<ARTICLE id="1" player_work_ethic_max="80" suspension_days="2">

I don't see any other examples in the file of what can increase or decrease, but was thinking of creating a test file and league to see what I can come up with.
NYY #23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:29 AM   #5
Afino
Hall Of Famer

- there is a max year tag
- Data Objects also include Owner, Pitching_Coach, Hitting_Coach, League
- all of the Personalities along with Age have min and maxes
- Wait_days_min/max is the range of days in which the next story can appear
- I don't think anything but Morale can increase or decrease, but I can check.

I don't think we can select the teammate's attributes yet. I'll have to check with Andreas.

And we'll get around to that manual, our focus is (mainly) on getting a bigger file itself out for a patch.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:19 AM   #6
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
- I don't think anything but Morale can increase or decrease, but I can check.
A good one to add would be popularity, if it isn't there already.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:27 AM   #7
Afino
Hall Of Famer

Actually Popularity is in there as a condition, I believe.

Not sure about it increasing or decreasing though. I'll have to check on that too

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:51 AM   #8
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
Not sure about it increasing or decreasing though. I'll have to check on that too
Yeah, it would be cool if we could increase or decrease it (maybe have the guy help a local charity or something and it helps his popularity).

Old 04-18-2010, 12:25 PM   #9
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

I'd like to see some attribute increases and decreases as well. That could get rather old rather quickly but it'd still be nice to have spring training stories about a guy learning a new pitch or a hitter showing up in the best shape of his life and occasionally having it do more than a morale boost.

Thanks, Alfino, for the additional info.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Old 05-04-2010, 12:22 PM   #10
kingcharlesxii
Hall Of Famer

Any updates on the manual and/or new features in patches for the storyline engine? This is something that I'd really like to start playing around with but I've been waiting to get some more info. If it's going to be awhile, I'd like to know so that I could just get into it.
kingcharlesxii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:19 AM   #11
ctorg
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcharlesxii View Post
Any updates on the manual and/or new features in patches for the storyline engine? This is something that I'd really like to start playing around with but I've been waiting to get some more info. If it's going to be awhile, I'd like to know so that I could just get into it.
Ditto. I was hoping we'd hear more about this by now.

"When the trees blow back and forth, that's what makes the wind." - Steven Wright

Fjord emena pancreas thorax fornicate marmalade morpheme proteolysis smaxa cabana offal srue vitriol grope hallelujah lentils
ctorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:22 PM   #12
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Still waiting on updates on this. I've gone in and written a couple articles for a Spring Training Bingo storyline set but to be honest I'm a little stuck not knowing exactly what can and can't be added.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:19 AM   #13
Syt
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcharlesxii View Post

Same here. This could be a great way to breathe life into players who are currently an agglomeration of statistics and numbers but little personality. I want cases of "Manny being Manny", an uncooperative Milton Bradley type, or maybe the occasional celebrity scandal. Not too often, but enough so that some players have a life beyond their stats.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:49 PM   #14
kingcharlesxii
Hall Of Famer

I'm one that likes to test crazy edge cases so it would be really helpful if I knew exactly what I could and couldn't do with this. Can I affect multiple players with one event? An entire team? What attributes can I affect (just normal ratings or things like personality and happiness)? These are all things I'd like to know before I decide to spend a lot of hours on this.
kingcharlesxii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:30 PM   #15
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syt View Post
Same here. This could be a great way to breathe life into players who are currently an agglomeration of statistics and numbers but little personality. I want cases of "Manny being Manny", an uncooperative Milton Bradley type, or maybe the occasional celebrity scandal. Not too often, but enough so that some players have a life beyond their stats.
c.f. A-Rod supposedly sleeping with Madonna.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:12 PM   #16
Who Killed Kenny?
Major Leagues

Has anyone written new storylines? Is there official documentation out there yet?
Who Killed Kenny? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 01:37 AM   #17
Syt
Minors (Double A)

Nope. Probably all busy working on the big update.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:27 PM   #18
ctorg
Global Moderator

I'm really disappointed we haven't heard much on this yet. I was hoping I could start making some custom ones and get a league started. I feel like I need to wait before starting a serious league because this feature is too cool not to include and I just know it won't be re-importable.

"When the trees blow back and forth, that's what makes the wind." - Steven Wright

Fjord emena pancreas thorax fornicate marmalade morpheme proteolysis smaxa cabana offal srue vitriol grope hallelujah lentils
ctorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:28 PM   #19
RandyTiger
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctorg View Post
i'm really disappointed we haven't heard much on this yet. I was hoping i could start making some custom ones and get a league started. I feel like i need to wait before starting a serious league because this feature is too cool not to include and i just know it won't be re-importable.
+1!
RandyTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:27 PM   #20
ry1220
All Star Reserve

Bump. Having not downloaded the patch yet, I'm curious to know if additional storylines have been added/an explanation of the XML files has been released.
ry1220 is offline   Reply With Quote