Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP Mods Logos, roster packs, historical databases, OOTP tools, FaceGen files... it's all here!

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 10:42 PM   #21
Malleus Dei
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed
And that would be you? It continually amazes me how people that have no first hand knowledge jump to conclusions about how the game works or doesn't work.

Oh, wait a minute MD said it so it must be true, give me a break.

Do feel free to come back though when you understand the issues.
I didn't jump to any conclusions. I just read what Nutlaw and Markus posted and raised the alarm by quoting what they posted. If you want to claim that the items Nutlaw listed, like injury rating, have no effect on historical simming you will just make me laugh.

If you're playing pre-1947 American baseball, then the All-American Mod (a namefiles/ethnicites/nation/cities file pack) is for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by statfreak View Post
MD has disciples.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:45 PM   #22
RBLwebguy
Hall Of Famer

This thread should be locked
Old 05-25-2006, 10:47 PM   #23
canadiancreed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBLwebguy
the way things are going, this forum should be locked. It's becoming like OT, only the posts count.

PT22

Old 05-25-2006, 10:55 PM   #24
Malleus Dei
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Scared of the truth? Can't find a way to refute the Nutlaw-Markus discussion? Still trying to paint me in dark colors for trying to make the game better for historical gamers?

If you're playing pre-1947 American baseball, then the All-American Mod (a namefiles/ethnicites/nation/cities file pack) is for you.

Quote:
MD has disciples.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:57 PM   #25
RBLwebguy
Hall Of Famer

Don't flatter yourself.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:58 PM   #26
canadiancreed
Hall Of Famer

guess I better fire up the popcorn machine again

PT22

Old 05-25-2006, 11:05 PM   #27
RBLwebguy
Hall Of Famer

Explain o great one, how these ratings:

- Leadership ability
- Desire to play for winning team
- Greed
- Loyalty
- Intelligence (slightly influences some in-game decisions and player development)
- Work ethic (influences player development/aging, slump management etc.)

are going to affect historical sims? Are you going to edit a whole league on the assumption that it is going to make things accurate? So what if you give a guy Intelligence of 8 on a 1-10 scale, is that going to make him a better player if his rating was only 6? It is a sim and all factors combined will determine how he performs. Maybe he will slump, maybe he will have a CEI, maybe he will drop in talent.

The only benefit seeing these ratings will do is help you draft, keep or trade players. I think having them turned off gives it more mistique. You trust your scout on this guy or that. You watch him develop in the minors, etc.

You seem to know the inner workings of the sim, go for it!
Old 05-25-2006, 11:11 PM   #28
RBLwebguy
Hall Of Famer

dola,

but personally I am happy Markus coded it, but I will be leaning more to having them flipped to hidden to make it a little more challenging.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:17 PM   #29
Malleus Dei
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

- Leadership ability
- Greed
- Loyalty
- Intelligence (slightly influences some in-game decisions and player development)

are going to affect historical sims? Are you going to edit a whole league on the assumption that it is going to make things accurate? So what if you give a guy Intelligence of 8 on a 1-10 scale, is that going to make him a better player if his rating was only 6? It is a sim and all factors combined will determine how he performs. Maybe he will slump, maybe he will have a CEI, maybe he will drop in talent.

The only benefit seeing these ratings will do is help you draft, keep or trade players. I think having them turned off gives it more mistique. You trust your scout on this guy or that. You watch him develop in the minors, etc.

Wrong list. THIS is what was posted:

Nutlaw:

"So in looking through screenshots and league reports, I don't see anything along the lines of team loyalty, desire for winning team, consistency, popularity, injury rating, and the like.

I can certainly understand leaving out clutch performance and team leadership skills, but data regarding who a player prefers to sign with, how likely they are to be injured, and how much a team's popularity would suffer for trading away all of their popular players was pretty important stuff that added quite a bit of depth to the game beyond whether player X's contact rating was higher than player Y.

Do these ratings still exist, possibly as hidden values that can be referenced in various game interactions? If not, then I do not understand why they were taken out."

And the reply from Markus Heinsohn:

"They are there, just hidden... you should get a sense for the ratings through the news/messages on the players."

Now explain to ME how consistency and injury rating DON'T affect historical simming.

Quote:
MD has disciples.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:18 PM   #30
Erik W.
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys3356
It has not been addressed.
Making the ratings visible and then posting that he had done so isn't addressing the issue?

Quote:
There is NO good reason that ratings should be hidden.
They aren't hidden anymore. You're falling behind again.

Quote:
Why not allow people to access all the ratings if they want to?
You can now. Really, do work on your reading comprehension.

Quote:
Most of us (except you) don't need to be told what to do and can make decisions for ourselves.
This makes no sense. I get the feeling that you were looking for some way to try to insult me, but had the same brainlock that's preventing you from seeing the things above. The fact is, in addressing the issue (<- Take special note of that) he has allowed us to make the decision for ourselves, since we can toggle whether or not we see the ratings. See how that works, with the whole making decisions thing?

Quote:
If I want to access all of the ratings then I should be allowed to do so
You're getting really redundant.

Quote:
and since you have created ZERO mods I would suggest leaving this topic to people that understand the issue.
I might not make mods, but at least I can comprehend simple things, like whether or not something has been addressed. I do hope you enjoyed your little moment of superiority there, Mr. Uber Mod Maker. You win at life, for sure.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:21 PM   #31
canadiancreed
Hall Of Famer

why am I getting a immense feeling of deja vu with this thread, like the same thing is being discussed(argued?) over and over again.

PT22

Old 05-25-2006, 11:21 PM   #32
RBLwebguy
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malleus Dei
Wrong list. THIS is what was posted:

Nutlaw:

"So in looking through screenshots and league reports, I don't see anything along the lines of team loyalty, desire for winning team, consistency, popularity, injury rating, and the like.

I can certainly understand leaving out clutch performance and team leadership skills, but data regarding who a player prefers to sign with, how likely they are to be injured, and how much a team's popularity would suffer for trading away all of their popular players was pretty important stuff that added quite a bit of depth to the game beyond whether player X's contact rating was higher than player Y.

Do these ratings still exist, possibly as hidden values that can be referenced in various game interactions? If not, then I do not understand why they were taken out."

And the reply from Markus Heinsohn:

"They are there, just hidden... you should get a sense for the ratings through the news/messages on the players."

Now explain to ME how consistency and injury rating DON'T affect historical simming.
ahh right list, see Markus post on player personality
Old 05-25-2006, 11:21 PM   #33
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

- Leadership ability
- Greed
- Loyalty

Here's the problem as I see it. These ratings are either random, or they are pulled from a database. Without seeing them, as a historical simmer I don't know whether they are generated in a reliable manner or whether, like the fielding ratings, they frequently need editing. From Markus' description they would have a significant influence on career totals, which is one of the things I care about. If Roger Clemens imports with a 5 in work ethic, I want to be able to edit the rating, just as I would if it imports Ozzie Smith with an average range rating.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
Old 05-25-2006, 11:23 PM   #34
canadiancreed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
might have to link it.

PT22

Old 05-25-2006, 11:23 PM   #35
Malleus Dei
Hall Of Famer

Oh, and you can also explain about Markus posting that last night if he was already aware that there was a problem because someone had already brought it to his attention?

I'm sorry, but the official explanation does not correlate with what was posted and doesn't make any sense.

What I saw (and what you can go back and see all this for yourself):

1. Nutlaw posts his question.

2. Markus posts his reply.

3. I post the alarm quoting Nutlaw and Markus.

4. All Hell breaks loose.

5. Early the next morning Markus posts that he has put the hidden ratings on a toggle, ending the problem.

6. The official version becomes, variously, that there was no problem, that there was a problem but it was fixed, and that someone unidentified, but not me, was the one that sounded the alarm.

Quote:
MD has disciples.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:24 PM   #36
RBLwebguy
Hall Of Famer

Either way, the point is moot. The ratings are now available and can be edited by all incl Mal.

Lets close shop on this one and get ready for May 31st.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:26 PM   #37
canadiancreed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Either way, the point is moot. The ratings are now available and can be edited by all incl Mal.

don't forget to put the violins away. They're sounding very out of tune.

Oh and anyone want some popcorn?

PT22

Old 05-25-2006, 11:26 PM   #38
Malleus Dei
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Wrong list! The list that generated the alarm was NUTLAW'S list, which Markus said in his reply were now in the game as hidden variables.

Markus didn't post the other list that you are quoting until he released the fix the next morning.

Sorry, you are not allowed to go back and change the past. This isn't 1984, as much as it feels like it at the moment.

Quote:
MD has disciples.

Last edited by Malleus Dei; 05-25-2006 at 11:29 PM.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:28 PM   #39
Malleus Dei
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

The point is not moot. I did the right thing raising the alarm.

And if I hadn't have done it those ratings would still be hidden-only.

Quote:
MD has disciples.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:30 PM   #40
RBLwebguy
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malleus Dei
The point is not moot. I did the right thing raising the alarm.

And if I hadn't have done it those ratings would still be hidden-only.
Hail to the King baby!
Closed Thread