Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - New to the Game?

OOTP 19 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 09-29-2018, 01:30 PM   #1
superelkman
Bat Boy

When to use certain strategies?

When is the right time to attempt certain strategies in OOTP19? For example, does a hit and run have a higher chance of success with certain players and game situations? What about bunt for hit, run and hit, and double steals? I don't seem to have much success employing these strategies, especially hit and run, so I'd appreciate any feedback as to what has given you success with these in the past.
superelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 04:56 PM   #2
BaseballGoodToMe
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by superelkman View Post
When is the right time to attempt certain strategies in OOTP19? For example, does a hit and run have a higher chance of success with certain players and game situations? What about bunt for hit, run and hit, and double steals? I don't seem to have much success employing these strategies, especially hit and run, so I'd appreciate any feedback as to what has given you success with these in the past.

It's pretty much based on the talent of the players involved. Bunt/steal ratings, as for hit and run you want a batter who can put the ball in play rather than force the runner to make a steal attempt when they break the play.
BaseballGoodToMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 06:36 PM   #3
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Run and hit is the better strategy. That way you must have the correct runner on base. Hit and run in OOTP doesn't seem to be as well developed. That being said I tied and then won a playoff game in the 9th with my backup catcher on 1st with 2 out using hit and run. I had pinch run for my catcher and the PR was thrown out at the plate. Figuring I was toast with the backup on 1B I used hit and run vs run and hit for obvious reasons.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 08:36 PM   #4
superelkman
Bat Boy

Do you guys use hit and runs to stay out of double plays? Like if you have a slow runner on first and an extreme ground ball pitcher on the mound does it make sense to call a hit and run to get the runner on first moving to stay out of the double play? Or in your opinion does this just unnecessarily expose the runner to being thrown out or doubled up on a line drive? Probably just depends on the contact rating of the batter right?
Old 09-29-2018, 11:15 PM   #5
superelkman
Bat Boy

Also what are some tips on stealing bases?

Last edited by superelkman; 09-29-2018 at 11:19 PM.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:49 AM   #6
BaseballGoodToMe
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Also what are some tips on stealing bases?

Instead of opening with the steal button, hit take pitch. Wait for either a 2 ball count or for the opponent to pitch out. At least in 18 the AI never seems to pitchout twice, or with 2 balls.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:51 AM   #7
BaseballGoodToMe
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Do you guys use hit and runs to stay out of double plays? Like if you have a slow runner on first and an extreme ground ball pitcher on the mound does it make sense to call a hit and run to get the runner on first moving to stay out of the double play? Or in your opinion does this just unnecessarily expose the runner to being thrown out or doubled up on a line drive? Probably just depends on the contact rating of the batter right?

I do this if I have a 290+ hitter at the plate with a runner on first. Bad idea if you've got a guy who strikes out alot because yes, you'll just end up with your slow guy caught stealing.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:58 PM   #8
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

best strategy, ever....

take pitch... take pitch... until 2 strikes... swing away... rinse and repeat, lol. every third game of a series becomes a joke as they have no rested, decent releivers.

they don't generate a new random seed each pitch, so it there is virtually no negative effect on your PA if starting at an 0-2 or an 0-0 count. due to other forces that are exclusive from what a PA is, it may be slightly reduced or even improved a bit (probability of success - like errors are a % applied to any ball in play etc, regardless of how good of a random seed you got for that PA)... i wouldn't assume either direction, but there are other forces at play beside what the random seed affects.

e.g. a doomed PA can be saved by an error. you 'roll' a really tiny random seed and it's assuredly an out of some sort... but then the error% kicks in on 1/50 AB or whatever and you get on base safely, even though you were doomed to be out. obviously the % error is relative to context... bad fielding team more likely to have an error etc.

if you've ever taken even a basic physics class, just apply what you know about vectors. each force is it's own vector (heh a vector is a representation of force, kinda double-talk here). it all adds up to a result.

Last edited by NoOne; 10-04-2018 at 01:02 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote