Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations

Old 05-10-2012, 11:47 AM   #1
Carlton
Hall Of Famer

Oct 19th 1911 Greatest World series

The Red Sox behind 29-4 1.63 ERA Smokey Joe Wood
battle the New York Giants and their Ace Christy Mattewson who had his second great year after missing most of 1909 winning the Tripe Crown with 25-16 2.13 231 Ks

Wood has gone 0-2 in the Series while Matty has gone 1-1

Wood carries a no hitter until the 4th when Doyle reaches on an error by backup SS Steve Yerkes, pressed into action by injury and then Fred Merkle triples him home

That score stays until Wood unravels in the 8th as Doyle once again starts the rally with a single, Don Ahner (fictional player who won the Eastern League MVP while with Providence) doubles in a run Snodgrass and Devlin walk and Hartley hits in 2 more to make it 4-0 New York

But Boston is not done

Bottom of the 8th, 2 quixck outs and Solly Hoffman bunts for a hit, Speaker singles and Hooper singles in a run. 2b Larry Gardner hits in 2 more and it is 4-3 New York

NY goes quickly in the 9th and Boston has a chance to upset the reigning World Champs

2 outs, man on 2nd and 3rd, Steve Yerkes with a 3-2 count fouls off one pitch and another, then a blast to LCF, one man crosses the plate, Bill carrigan rounds 3rd and CF Fred Snograss reaches and makes a spectacular play to rob Steve Yerkes of redemption

As many of you know in 1912 Snodgrass muffed a ball against the A's so I thought this was a great story, as was the fact Yerkes, who bobbled the ball in the 4th was the man who could have won the game and been the hero of the Series

"I am at that stage of my life where I keep myself out of arguments. I am 100% self sufficient spiritually, emotionally & financially. Even if you say 1+1=5, you are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. Enjoy!"
Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
tayloraj
Minors (Double A)

Actually, Snodgrass' Muff was against the Red Sox. That said, I love hot OOTP sets up those kinds of dramatic situations for you.

I had a game in OOTP 12, Game 7 of the 1959 World Series, Boston at Milwaukee, with a 41-year old Bob Feller getting the call for the Sox. Feller dominates and Boston takes a 5-0 lead into the bottom of the 9th, with the Braves down to their last breath. He retires the first two batters in order and looks to complete the shutout...

Only at this point all hell breaks loose. Charlie Neal hits a solo homer to break up the shutout. George Wilson singles and Floyd Robinson walks to put two men on...Boston sticks with Feller on the mound (I simulated this game; at this point I'm fairly certain the bullpen would be active with most managers not named Grady Little in charge). Jerry Lumpe and Jacke Davis hit back-to-back RBI singles to put Milwaukee within two runs...still, Feller isn't taken out of the game.

Next batter, the mighty Ted Kluszewski, puts one in the left field seats with a 414-foot bomb...game over, 6 to 5 Milwaukee. I feel like THAT one would go down in history...and get brought up whenever the word 'choke' is mentioned.

Even though that would have to be the most painful loss in history, I freakin' love this game
tayloraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:05 AM   #3
Carlton
Hall Of Famer

Poor Feller, I hope his career is not defined by one game

I have Jesse Burkett still hanging on in 1913 as the Cubs LF/RF backup and he spent 2 years in the American Association

He is currently 4th in career BA with .346 and is at 2,932 hits behind Cap Anson of course and Ed Delahanty with 3,007 and Wee Willie Keeler at 3,005

Both held on to get that 3,000 hit and retire

Nap Lajoie is 38 with 2,871 a nd Honus Wagner is 39 and has 2,850

Don't think I will see another 3,000 hits until Ty Cobb gets his

Ty Cobb BTW, I traded to Cleveland for Elmer Flick straight up just like Hughie Jennings wanted and after the Naps won the Series in 1905 and 1906, they haven't gotten there again, but Detroit won in 1909

Curse of Cobb?

He did have an amazing 1911 season hitting .415 with 256 hits, 17 HRs, 83 Sbs (87 CS) and 121 RBI and followed that up with an even more impressive .442 10 Hrs, 277 HITS and 112 SBS (35 CS)

But Cleveland lost Lajoie in Sept and eventually lost a 6 game lead to the A's who beat them by 2 games for the pennant and lost to the upstart Boston Braves who overtook the Reds in Sept after being 8 games back Aug 31st

Think Cobb may not get a ring in my Universe either

I decided to make the All Star game start in 1913 so it will be nice to see if Cobb can set another record by being the all time consecutive All Star, since he is more durable than Babe Ruth

And yes, this game is awesome

"I am at that stage of my life where I keep myself out of arguments. I am 100% self sufficient spiritually, emotionally & financially. Even if you say 1+1=5, you are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. Enjoy!"
Old 05-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #4
CarolinaSoxfan
Minors (Triple A)

Great stuff guys!....and yes this game is great!
CarolinaSoxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:59 PM   #5
Carlton
Hall Of Famer

And as soon as I post this, 1913 the Cleveland Naps DOMINATED the AL with Joe Jackson and Ty Cobb both hitting over .400 and they sweep the Reds (who only made it because Larry Doyle got injured for the Giants)

Old 05-25-2012, 04:03 PM   #6
tayloraj
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
Poor Feller, I hope his career is not defined by one game
Don't worry too much...Feller did ok, as you can see. The Yankees, as it turned out, made a pretty bad mistake, dumping him after the '44 season for a totally washed up Roberto Estalella, who had 8 games left in his big league career after the trade. Feller won 5 Cy Young Awards, and was part of 6 Boston pennant winners and 4 World Series winners for the Red Sox. As bad as that collapse may have been in the '59 World Series, he'd still probably be remembered as one of the greatest pitchers who ever lived...although he'd probably have a Dennis Eckersley-type popular perception.
Attached Images
tayloraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #7
Carlton
Hall Of Famer

Amazing career for Bob Feller

Old 09-17-2012, 12:15 PM   #8
CarolinaSoxfan
Minors (Triple A)

Unreal career by Bob Feller and he did it without an organization "looking out for him" by imposing an innings limit lol
CarolinaSoxfan is offline   Reply With Quote