Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

View Poll Results: Are these two teams tanking?
First yes, second no 0 0%
First no, second yes 0 0%
Both are 41 87.23%
Neither are 6 12.77%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-22-2019, 06:41 PM   #1
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

Tanking?

Let's get some opinions...

I call this tanking.

Vote yes or no
Attached Images
Image Image 

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

“Everyone is an atheist until Templars begin marching in the rain.”
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Society's tolerance for violent criminals is dumbfounding.
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:22 PM   #2
HiDesertAce
Major Leagues

Yes on both
HiDesertAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:06 PM   #3
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Obviously yes.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:29 PM   #4
davor999
Bat Boy

How can they even have so many good players?
davor999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:38 PM   #5
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davor999 View Post
How can they even have so many good players?
It is 19, so they could have been playing a long time and accumulated enough points to get those players. Or, they could have put real money into the game.
OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:33 PM   #6
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGPuppies View Post
It is 19, so they could have been playing a long time and accumulated enough points to get those players. Or, they could have put real money into the game.
Don't begrudge them the players...but they aren't attempting to win. They're trying to get relegated so they can win a WS. That's a TOS violation.

Old 03-23-2019, 02:39 AM   #7
HiDesertAce
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Cobb View Post
Don't begrudge them the players...but they aren't attempting to win. They're trying to get relegated so they can win a WS. That's a TOS violation.

i think the tanking teams want to move down so they can dominate at the lower level. and pick up PP. but if they win the WS they are back up a level. and then what? tank again to move back down? mostly i think its a frustration move for these teams. can't compete at perfect so they want to go back to diamond.

whatever the case is, the developers need to weigh in with clear rules.
HiDesertAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:50 AM   #8
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Both teams are clearly trying to win fewer games than they are capable of. If this is the definition of tanking we are working with, then obviously they are tanking.

However, I do not believe either team meets a strict definition of the term tanking. This is especially true of the first team, where 15 of their 25 man roster is Silver (not counting the one Diamond player they retained). The second team is much closer to being a tanker, but even then, they are only utilizing 8 iron players, in addition to 3 Silvers and 2 Golds. Both teams include some very highly regarded silver and bronze players - Andrelton Simmons appears on both, and the 2nd team is still fielding Aparicio, Belanger, and McReynolds.

Neither team is significantly disrupting the competitive balance of D375. Neither team is giving an extreme unfair advantage to their competition.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:32 AM   #9
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

I’d be curious to see your definition of tanking.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:51 AM   #10
Blazinghalo
Minors (Single A)

Two teams in D.375 are obviously tanking.

Team 1 is now 26-107 with an active roster of 2 Gold, 3 Silver, 12 Bronze and 8 Iron Cards with a reserve roster of 2 Perfect, 16 Diamond, and 7 Gold. The reserve roster contains 96 Cobb, 93 Maddux, 100 Betts, 100 Trout, 95 Harvey, 96 Brown, 94 Clemens, 92 Connor, 91 Sisler (You get the picture).

Team 2 is now 43-90 with an active roster of 12 Silver, 10 Bronze, 3 Iron and a reserve roster of 1 Perfect, 14 Gold, and 12 Silver. His reserve roster is more modest but he's not starting his 1 Perfect or any of his gold cards.
Blazinghalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:29 AM   #11
ASURay
Minors (Triple A)

Better question -- should we care? The clear answer would seem to be "No."
ASURay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:32 AM   #12
ASURay
Minors (Triple A)

Until there's an option to voluntarily have your team demoted, teams have to do what they can to get where they want to be. I had to "tank" with one team after I changed it from a standard "best players I have team" to a Mariners-themed squad. The Mariners squad couldn't compete at Perfect/Diamond, so I had to get myself demoted to Gold. I wish there was an option to just stay put. Better yet, why can't each account have multiple teams that they can enter in different themed leagues? It'd kind of ridiculous that I have to run three different accounts in order to have the different teams I want (currently have a standard team, a Mariners team, and a 1990s team in v19).
Old 03-23-2019, 10:32 AM   #13
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASURay View Post
Better question -- should we care? The clear answer would seem to be "No."
When you miss the wild card because two teams in their division got to beat those teams 17 out of 19 times along with handing them tens of thousands of free PP, you should care. That season is ruined for all 29 other teams in the league.

It's even likely that a team gets promoted that doesn't deserve it and possibly puts that team in the same situation because they're in a league they can't compete in.

Last edited by zrog2000; 03-23-2019 at 10:37 AM.
zrog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:34 AM   #14
ASURay
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrog2000 View Post
When you miss the wild card because two teams in their division got to beat those teams 17 out of 19 times along with handing them tens of thousands of free PP, you should care.
Then ask the devs for a "volunteer for demotion" feature. Otherwise, you'll have to make do.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:38 AM   #15
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
Then ask the devs for a "volunteer for demotion" feature. Otherwise, you'll have to make do.
Or you can just get banned.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:39 AM   #16
Dunzie
All Star Reserve

Were they reported?
Dunzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:44 AM   #17
ASURay
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Or you can just get banned.
Can someone point me to the section in the rules where "tanking" is clearly defined and prohibited? Players are free to setup their team however they choose in order to meet the competitive goals they have set for themselves. If I'm at the Perfect Level and I decide that I want to switch to an entirely "One Hit Wonder" squad (which will have a ton of bronze cards), then that's my prerogative. Similarly, if I decide that I want to drop down from Perfect or Diamond to Gold in order to generate more favorable results from a theme squad (which are at an inherent disadvantage due to the roster limitations), then there shouldn't be anything preventing me from doing so.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:48 AM   #18
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
Can someone point me to the section in the rules where "tanking" is clearly defined and prohibited? Players are free to setup their team however they choose in order to meet the competitive goals they have set for themselves. If I'm at the Perfect Level and I decide that I want to switch to an entirely "One Hit Wonder" squad (which will have a ton of bronze cards), then that's my prerogative. Similarly, if I decide that I want to drop down from Perfect or Diamond to Gold in order to generate more favorable results from a theme squad (which are at an inherent disadvantage due to the roster limitations), then there shouldn't be anything preventing me from doing so.
license.txt in your installation folder. Just because you didn't read it, doesn't mean that you can make up your own rules.

Quote:
4. Use of Perfect Team Mode
When you access Perfect Team mode, you agree that you will not, nor encourage another party to:

(c) Cheat, deliberately lose, trade wins or Perfect Points, "feed" wins or Perfect Points from one account to another via the auction house or any other method, or otherwise fail to make a good-faith effort to play the game in a fashion intended to win via fair gameplay according to the intended operation of the game.

You further agree that, in order to permit Out of the Park Developments to maintain and promote the fair, proper, and safe operation of Perfect Team and its related services, that Out of the Park Developments and its employees and agents shall have the ability to:

(j) Ban, delete, suspend, or otherwise restrict your user account if you are found to be in violation of any portion of this agreement.

Last edited by zrog2000; 03-23-2019 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:53 AM   #19
ASURay
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
license.txt in your installation folder. Just because you didn't read it, doesn't mean that you can make up your own rules.
This doesn't preclude a team from doing anything, really. I can always make the argument that I am intending to win over the long-term -- taking a step back in order to take two+ steps forward. You'd need to establish a pattern of behavior over multiple season in order to make the case you're trying to make. Furthermore, I don't see where the devs would want to deliberately discourage players from having fun. If I want to see how a team comprised entirely of players named "Tom" would do in PT, then so be it. If a "whale" got banned for fielding a less-than-stellar team for a season, I think they'd have a nice little case in small claims court (depending on how much they spent). The "intended operation of the game" is a pretty nebulous clause.

Last edited by ASURay; 03-23-2019 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:57 AM   #20
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
This doesn't preclude a team from doing anything, really. I can always make the argument that I am intending to win over the long-term -- taking a step back in order to take two+ steps forward. You'd need to establish a pattern of behavior over multiple season in order to make the case you're trying to make. Furthermore, I don't see where the devs would want to deliberately discourage players from having fun. If I want to see how a team comprised entirely of players named "Tom" would do in PT, then so be it.
There is no f'ing argument that you can make that when you're playing a terrible team with far superior cards on reserve that you are not deliberately trying to lose.

You're being completely selfish and not thinking about anyone else in your league when you try to lose. It literally ruins the entire season for that league. No one will know who had the best team, because some teams got huge advantages with free wins.