Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 14 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
REA
Bat Boy

Looking for Ideas for Non-Historic Retirement

I want to expand my player pool for a (semi)historic replay with player development turned off. My preferred approach is to let players play pass their historic retirement. With player development off these players are rather stagnant.

I am not very familiar with the game engine and have experimented with editing player rating but have yet to find a system to randomly change player's ability; increase for players with limited MLB stats (your Moonlight Grahams) and deteriorating abilities for those hanging on one more year.

Does anyone have any ideas on how this might be accomplished.
REA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
Gambo
Hall Of Famer

Not quite sure what your intending on doing. When you turn off player development the players simply will not change (hence stangnancy). If you have recaculate on the player will have his ratings adjusted yearly accordingly.

If you have both player development and recalculation on the player will "develop" over the course of the season but the ratings will be recalculated for the next season. Once the player passes the point where he does not have real statistics the development engine kicks in for him permanently (i.e. all development will remain in affect and he will not recalculate)

OOTP MODS:
Historical Face Gen Project, Spritze/Gambo Database, OOTP Stadium Chart and Ballpark Images, MLB Compiled Uniform & Logo Pack
available at...
http://www.ootpmods.com
Gambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:48 PM   #3
REA
Bat Boy

Retired Players

Thanks for inquiring, I'll try to explain in more detail.

Settings:
  • Recalculate - 1yr (I know 3yr is preferred but with one year I get a few more flyers, out of blue performances (Ed Mathews in the 50's had a 71 HR season sandwiched by 48HR and 30HR years).
  • No Development
  • No Historic Retirement
I want to expand my player pool by using players who would have normally retired. I want to manually edit the ratings of these players allowing for fluctuation of their abilities. I intent to keep a list of such players so it can be done each season to avoid the stagnation created by the settings I am using. I have experimented with some players (in a league created solely for trial & error) and find it fairly easy to manipulate batters but more difficult for pitchers. This is largely due to the fact I have not played OOTP very much.

The system I am currently trying is:

1] Immediately following the importing of data after the completion of the post season I go through a list of players who would have completed their MLB career that season (or previous seasons in some cases).

I roll a die for each player to determine if their career continues. The die roll result is modified by a player's age (younger increases likelihood of continuing) and real life AB/IP that season.

2] If a player continues to play, other dice rolls (modified by age and years past their actual retirement) determine changes I make to their ratings; injuries, range, speed, batting/pitching rating. Some changes are minimum, others quite severe. Younger player's are more likely to have positive changes, player's over 30yr old almost always go downhill to a varying degree.

I am having some difficulty determining the random variables for the pitchers. I edit arm injury, velocity, pitches, movement, and control. The batters changes are better but still could use some work.

Any ideas from guys more familiar with OOTP would be great.

Last edited by REA; 05-06-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:55 AM   #4
mjj55409
All Star Starter

But Gambo's point is that you needn't do all that die rolling. If you turn on development, then the development engine will take over once there are no more (historic) seasons to use for the recalculate.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #5
REA
Bat Boy

Thanks

I am bit confused. I was thinking that development cancelled recalc.

But my understanding of what you and Gambo are saying is that with both turned on, the recalc will negate the development (or lack there of) that occurs over the course of a season for active players. Players will be-to a point-likely to following their actual career trajectory. For those players without actual MLB stats the recalc will have no effect.

I had junked the format from the earlier post for the creation of a handful of low end fictional players who I would max out their injury ratings to limit their effectiveness and impact.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:34 AM   #6
Gambo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by REA View Post

But my understanding of what you and Gambo are saying is that with both turned on, the recalc will negate the development (or lack there of) that occurs over the course of a season for active players. Players will be-to a point-likely to following their actual career trajectory. For those players without actual MLB stats the recalc will have no effect.

I had junked the format from the earlier post for the creation of a handful of low end fictional players who I would max out their injury ratings to limit their effectiveness and impact.
Yes they coexist.

OOTP MODS:
Historical Face Gen Project, Spritze/Gambo Database, OOTP Stadium Chart and Ballpark Images, MLB Compiled Uniform & Logo Pack
available at...
http://www.ootpmods.com
Gambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:30 PM   #7
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by REA View Post
No. Development does not cancel recalc.

As Gambo noted, they coexist.

Recalc and player development will both impact player performance. Development does not cancel recalc and neither does recalc cancel development.

I have found this to be a most pleasing aspect of the game.
VanillaGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:16 AM   #8
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

No Historical Development means I can load 1998 and sim to 2013 and none of the Rays people will Retire?