Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion Talk about the latest FHM, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 12-31-2017, 02:13 PM   #1
BKL
All Star Reserve

Video Play-through Request

I know that the OOTP team does weekly play-throughs.

Based on comments here and my own playing, what I think could be helpful, in addition to the traditional play-throughs, is a few focused "strategy" sessions. The playthroughs are helpful, but you might have to watch a lot of them just to get an idea about a specific topic. What I think could help is 20-minute tutorial on Jeff and Adam's thinking process around topics such as:

- Selecting overall tactics (maximizing suitability vs. picking a tactic that might be less suitable but have better results)
- Picking tactical roles (i.e. what do you look for)
- Roster management (picking captains, assistant captains, major roles and supplementary roles ... how does all this impact the players?)
- Managing young players (developing, when to call up, selecting training roles)
- In game tactics - what to do when you're down? How to best protect a lead? Is it just adjusting global risk taking, or more defined tactical roles? What can you do as a coach in-game to improve results (is it more than just maximizing countering)
- Sim vs. playing out games (pros/cons and what marginal value does playing out provide vs. simming).
- Scouting Strategies
- What to look for in the various peronnel
- Player stats that you would look at during the year to assess your players and then what adjustments would you make as a result?
- Boxcore review - understanding in-game rating and other stats. What directions do these stats tell provide to you?

These are just some examples and I'm sure there is more. It's not a perfect list. The reason I mention this is because so much time is put into the play-throughs that I think 15-20 minute tutorial sessions could also provide a lot of value.

The game seems to have a lot of depth, but it sometimes is difficult to grasp how to manage and coach your team within the mechanics of the game.

Thoughts?

Last edited by BKL; 12-31-2017 at 02:21 PM.
BKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 02:45 PM   #2
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager

I understand where you're coming from on this, and I'm still looking at doing a few more short tutorials (there are several coming in the next month) that will answer some of these, but really it's not worth our time.

And that comes from me from a pure Analytics standpoint. It doesn't really matter the video length or on what channel are people watching, typically most video click max out around a 5 minute mark. Us creating 15 to 20 minute videos just wouldn't be worth the time and effort of it, which is why we're trying to work towards more quick hits or covering them simply in the long video sessions.

I do however try to tag videos that we do (for instance) Scouting in with Scouting, or tactics with tactics and try to remember to write it in the description as well (although the odd time I do forget).
Adam B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:10 PM   #3
BKL
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B View Post
I understand where you're coming from on this, and I'm still looking at doing a few more short tutorials (there are several coming in the next month) that will answer some of these, but really it's not worth our time.

And that comes from me from a pure Analytics standpoint. It doesn't really matter the video length or on what channel are people watching, typically most video click max out around a 5 minute mark. Us creating 15 to 20 minute videos just wouldn't be worth the time and effort of it, which is why we're trying to work towards more quick hits or covering them simply in the long video sessions.

I do however try to tag videos that we do (for instance) Scouting in with Scouting, or tactics with tactics and try to remember to write it in the description as well (although the odd time I do forget).
So if I understand you correctly, 15-20 minutes isn't worth your time, but you are planning on doing some short tutorials in the next few months? I suggested 15-20 minutes, but as I said it was just a thought. Based on your comments, shorter ones would make sense. Thanks for the response and insight.
Old 12-31-2017, 06:16 PM   #4
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager

I have some stuff I'm working on but piecing together scripts and then recording voice and footage takes some work.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:34 PM   #5
tcblcommish
Hall Of Famer

Couldn't you just watch some of the past streams that have been done? Watch how you guys play the game? Should be able to pick up the day by day stuff in there

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
tcblcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:42 PM   #6
BKL
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblcommish View Post
Couldn't you just watch some of the past streams that have been done? Watch how you guys play the game? Should be able to pick up the day by day stuff in there

Yes, I could do that but I was just suggesting an alternative approach. From the questions that have appeared on here, it seems like there have been a number about strategy, tactics, on how the game mechanics works. So, I was just suggesting a few specific focused videos. I don't think most people watch full 1-hour play-throughs but would be interested in some focused session. It's just my opinion from playing sports sims and being part of the OOTP community for 15+ years.

Or, perhaps instead maybe a Q&A type session. Don't get me wrong, play-throughs are helpful but after 20 play-throughs, does the 21st add much additional value? Maybe a different approach might provide value. People have different appetites, ways they learn, etc. (some like play-throughs, some manuals, some Q&A's, etc.).

Last edited by BKL; 01-02-2018 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:43 PM   #7
tcblcommish
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKL View Post
Yes, I could do that but I was just suggesting an alternative approach. From the questions that have appeared on here, it seems like there have been a number about strategy, tactics, on how the game mechanics works. So, I was just suggesting a few specific focused videos. I don't think most people watch full 1-hour play-throughs but would be interested in some focused session.

Or, perhaps instead maybe a Q&A type session. Don't get me wrong, play-throughs are helpful but after 20 play-throughs, does the 21st add much additional value? Maybe a different approach might provide value. People have different appetites, ways they learn, etc. (some like play-throughs, some manuals, some Q&A's, etc.)
Good point, I can see what you mean by that.

Old 01-03-2018, 12:19 AM   #8
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKL View Post
Yes, I could do that but I was just suggesting an alternative approach. From the questions that have appeared on here, it seems like there have been a number about strategy, tactics, on how the game mechanics works. So, I was just suggesting a few specific focused videos. I don't think most people watch full 1-hour play-throughs but would be interested in some focused session. It's just my opinion from playing sports sims and being part of the OOTP community for 15+ years.

Or, perhaps instead maybe a Q&A type session. Don't get me wrong, play-throughs are helpful but after 20 play-throughs, does the 21st add much additional value? Maybe a different approach might provide value. People have different appetites, ways they learn, etc. (some like play-throughs, some manuals, some Q&A's, etc.).
If you ever come to watch us live, Jeff and I are pretty open about just about anything. If there's something specific you want us to address in a given episode, we will likely cover it. You can also reach out to me via PM here, Facebook, Twitter, Discord, etc if you want as well.

Our viewership is up both on Twitch and YouTube, so we're clearly doing something people are enjoying.

Last edited by Adam B; 01-03-2018 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Words. Words. WORDS
Old 01-03-2018, 07:21 PM   #9
tcblcommish
Hall Of Famer

That's a good point by adam, I've contacted him on discord and he is great at getting back to you asap and helping resolve issues