Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 06-21-2020, 09:58 AM   #1
JollyGreenGiant
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Homerun rate too high

I’ve noticed over the last couple years that the amount of home runs hit are way too high. The top guys consistently hit 50-75 home runs a year and many others can get at least 25-30+. Vlad jr and acuna ended with 850+ total career which I think is unlikely.

How much do I lower the home run % so that it’s similar to today’s game?
JollyGreenGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 07:38 AM   #2
Archelirion
Minors (Triple A)

Depends if it is actually too high. I love the smallball game and grumble like a man twice my age at the tunnel-visioned focus on boundaries that MLB seems to have a thing for, so it's not me trying to push personal proclivities here but... home run counts have gone up A LOT in the last 5 years.

There were 22,946 hit in the first 5 years of the last decade - this went up to 29,285 in the last 5. In year-by-year speak, that's 4589 between 2010-14 and 5857 between 2015-19. There were 6776 hit last year, absolutely destroying 2017's record by 600 - in the paraphrased words of our lord Jon Bois, baseball has been going on too long for a record like that to be beaten like that. But it has been. It is ENTIRELY possible that in normal circumstances we will be seeing 7,000 HR seasons in the next 2 to 3 years, and with current trajectories, 8000 HR seasons by the time we hit 2030. This is heavily unscientific extrapolation and should be taken with a fist of salt, but still, MLB is getting hellbent on power and nothing else. I think OOTP is doing a solid job of taking that into consideration, regardless of how I may personally feel.

---

However, 850 HR is A LOT and I get why you might wanna curb that a bit. Depends by how much. You could either:

- Take a flat average of the last decade which is 5223, or .842 of the number OOTP gives (6200 on my new game I just opened). This'd be my least favourite due to how much the game is changing, but hey, if it works for you, go for it.
- Weight each year (arbitrarily, admittedly) over the last decade, which gives 5571, or .899 of OOTP's number;
- Weight each year but with a heightened focus on the last five, which gives 5733, or .925 of OOTP's number;
- Flat average of the last five years, for 5857, or .945
or finally
- Weight the final five years only (again, arbitrary but evenly spaced on my end - you can make your own weightings if you want), which for me gives 5991, or .966.

--

Sorry that I went a bit overboard, just wanted to give a few options as well as throw my own two pennies into the ring. One thing I love about this game is how much you can customise how stuff like this works, but it then increases the onus on you to figure it out.

Last edited by Archelirion; 06-28-2020 at 07:40 AM.
Archelirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:55 AM   #3
Max Boyer
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyGreenGiant View Post
I’ve noticed over the last couple years that the amount of home runs hit are way too high. The top guys consistently hit 50-75 home runs a year and many others can get at least 25-30+. Vlad jr and acuna ended with 850+ total career which I think is unlikely.

How much do I lower the home run % so that it’s similar to today’s game?
What are you game settings? Do you play with very few injuries and low position player fatigue?

If so, look no further. This is the "best" way to see how much potential a player could have if he would be playing all the time without missing too much action, and as a result, this is giving you numbers that are somewhat far from our reality.
Old 07-08-2020, 11:52 AM   #4
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

Without knowing how big your league is mine is from 2012 to 2099.
In my case I have seen the game go their phases like real baseball does . In my save it began with stealing then pitchers winning games. 2 pitchers reaching 400 wins and then HR records to fall
Rookie and season as well as career fell . strike out records falling season and career now it seems the hitters might finally reach .400 of which I would love to see if it happens. I love the dynamics of the game
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote