Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 07-07-2020, 11:31 PM   #1
CBeisbol
Banned

CBeisbol's Random Stuff

A place for stuff that happens in my universes

Trying for their 4th straight World Series win, the 1991 Dodgers were struggling at 1B with the normally reliable Eddie Murray having just a 85ish wRC+ in July. The team was neck and neck with the Padres (who took the Dodgers to game 162 in 1990).

Debating whether to ride it out with the veteran Murray, moving RF Bobby Bonilla to 1B and acquiring an OF, acquiring a 1B or giving the position to rookie Dave Hollins (who had put up a 88 wRC+ in 100 May plate appearances filling in at 3B). Deciding to play it conservatively (not wanting to try TOO hard to win a 4th consecutive WS), we went with Dave Hollins.

He responded.

A solid August

A one-man wrecking crew through 10 games in Septembter.
Attached Images
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 11:56 PM   #2
CBeisbol
Banned

Owners
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 07-14-2020, 05:51 PM   #3
CBeisbol
Banned

Harold Reynolds, the Khris Davis of caught stealing
Attached Images
Old 07-23-2020, 09:44 PM   #4
CBeisbol
Banned

First time I've ever seen this

Runner doubled off on a line drive to an OFer
Attached Images
Old 08-13-2020, 05:26 PM   #5
ALB123
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
First time I've ever seen this

Runner doubled off on a line drive to an OFer
As soon as I saw this post I thought to myself, "Wait. I just had one of those a couple of games ago..." Once again, I have allowed myself to fall victim to how the animation looked, instead of what really happened.

From the Game Log:

Code:
Batting: RHB Tony Sanchez	0-0: Ball
1-0: Ball
2-0: Fly out, F9 (Flyball, 9, EV 87.5 MPH)
Lined into DP, 9-6 (Flyball, 9, EV 87.5 MPH)
Old 08-13-2020, 10:23 PM   #6
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALB123 View Post
As soon as I saw this post I thought to myself, "Wait. I just had one of those a couple of games ago..." Once again, I have allowed myself to fall victim to how the animation looked, instead of what really happened.

From the Game Log:

Code:
Batting: RHB Tony Sanchez	0-0: Ball
1-0: Ball
2-0: Fly out, F9 (Flyball, 9, EV 87.5 MPH)
Lined into DP, 9-6 (Flyball, 9, EV 87.5 MPH)
I must be missing something.
Looks like a double play on a line drive to me
Old 08-15-2020, 02:35 PM   #7
ALB123
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I must be missing something.
Looks like a double play on a line drive to me
Notice how mine says Flyball twice? Lined into DP, 9-6 (Flyball, 9, EV 87.5 MPH)

Yours says Line Drive in the same places. For some reason, I thought that made a difference. Perhaps not?
Old 08-28-2020, 06:33 PM   #8
CBeisbol
Banned

Billy Ashley home run in his first career plate apperance
Attached Images
Old 08-29-2020, 04:25 AM   #9
ALB123
All Star Reserve

I can't remember Billy Ashley, but I sure do remember Steve Avery. His story is a sad one. Lots of promise. Was part of that insane Atlanta Braves starting rotation. I think it was an injury that derailed his career, but I could be wrong...but I swear, I remember his arm blew up or something like that.
Old 08-29-2020, 01:45 PM   #10
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
I can't remember Billy Ashley
Unless you followed the Dodgers, you probably wouldn't. Huge (6'7") outfielder. Mammoth power. Prodigious strikeouts

Quote:
But I sure do remember Steve Avery. His story is a sad one. Lots of promise. Was part of that insane Atlanta Braves starting rotation. I think it was an injury that derailed his career, but I could be wrong...but I swear, I remember his arm blew up or something like that.
Yeah
He was a good, not great (by advanced measures), pitcher who succumbed to the rigors of throwing 100 pitches every few days
Old 09-09-2020, 09:10 PM   #11
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Harold Reynolds, the Khris Davis of caught stealing
The inevitable decline
Attached Images
Old 09-09-2020, 09:12 PM   #12
CBeisbol
Banned

Speaking of decline

Randy Milligan's home runs
Attached Images

Last edited by CBeisbol; 09-09-2020 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:58 PM   #13
CBeisbol
Banned

Mound visit
Pitcher response: I can still pound the zone for a few more hitters

Results:
Attached Images
Old 11-13-2020, 09:33 PM   #14
CBeisbol
Banned

One of these games should make it so the news alerts you to the possibility of a record like this being broken
Attached Images
Old 11-14-2020, 01:54 AM   #15
ALB123
All Star Reserve

Quote:
One of these games should make it so the news alerts you to the possibility of a record like this being broken
Totally agree. It's an MLB record about to be broken...it would be cool to have a little advanced notice.

I feel the same way about "Milestones" too. Yeah, it's cool that OOTP lets me know when Harold Hitts Jr. collected his 2500th base hit, but it could be fun to know when he's at 2490 or 2495. Heck, maybe you'll pour yourself a drink and watch his next game as a spectator once he reaches 2498...At the very least, it might just be fun to know when a milestone is about to be reached.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:31 PM   #16
CBeisbol
Banned

This was cool

Of course, that's how it ended
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by CBeisbol; 11-22-2020 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-23-2020, 02:52 AM   #17
ALB123
All Star Reserve

CBeisbol, I know that I've read posts from you where you mentioned that you often prefer (always prefer?) to use the function "Number of Batters" rather than "Pitch Count Limit" when you're limiting your starting pitchers time on the mound. I can't remember what you typically used for that number. Was it 27 hitters so the SP would face the other team's lineup three times?

I'm thinking of trying that method for my lower level guys. Whichever number you chose, I'm sure you've seen widely varying pitch counts from those SPs when they are finally pulled. If you had to guess, what do you think would be the most common 10 pitch range you'll see, using the number of batters as your pitcher's limit? 90-100? 75-85? I'm just curious...

Again, most importantly, what is the number of batters limit you typically use?

Thanks!
Old 11-23-2020, 07:37 AM   #18
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
CBeisbol, I know that I've read posts from you where you mentioned that you often prefer (always prefer?) to use the function "Number of Batters" rather than "Pitch Count Limit" when you're limiting your starting pitchers time on the mound. I can't remember what you typically used for that number. Was it 27 hitters so the SP would face the other team's lineup three times?

I'm thinking of trying that method for my lower level guys. Whichever number you chose, I'm sure you've seen widely varying pitch counts from those SPs when they are finally pulled. If you had to guess, what do you think would be the most common 10 pitch range you'll see, using the number of batters as your pitcher's limit? 90-100? 75-85? I'm just curious...

Again, most importantly, what is the number of batters limit you typically use?

Thanks!
I've said that I wished that function exists

I think it's more realistic than a pitch count. Of course, pitch counts would still have some value and be needed.

I think this would be helpful for things like openers. I recently faced a team in the playoffs that had 3 left-handed hitters leading off their lineup. I'd rather set my opener to face three hitters than set a number of pitches.

I also often use piggy back starters. One starter faces 18 hitters (goes through the lineup twice) before another starter is brought in to face another 18 hitters. 18 hitters is usually something like 4 to 5 innings. But can be 6 innings if they don't allow any base runners. If two pitchers each face 18 hitters and scatter a few hits and walks (say a 1.5 WHIP) that's exactly 4 innings. So, two of them and one reliever (either between them or at the end) finishes the game.

Sometimes I have a reliever on a rehab assignment. Instead of putting them in the bullpen and leaving their appearances up to chance, I start them and have them pitch an inning. Then I can control exactly when they pitch.

Sometimes you want to control number of batters
Sometimes number of pitches
Sometimes innings
Ideally, OOTP would let you set any of those.
Now it just lets you set pitches.

In that case, I *generally* figure 15 pitches per inning.

In my lowest minors, I usually have a bunch of starters and few relievers. I set most of my starters to pitch 3-4 innings (45-60) pitches. Then I have my other starters set as long relievers (also with pitch counts of 45 pitches). The AI usually brings these pitchers in so it fakes the piggy back system and it's like I get 2 players making 3-4 inning starts per game. Then a regular reliever finishes off the game. It's not perfect, but it works. Then I rotate my pitchers between the rotation and the bullpen frequently to even the innings out. Making some allowances for higher ranked prospects.

Then, as I move up the minor league ladder, I start to differentiate between pitchers that are likely to be starters and those likely to be relievers, letting the potential starters pitch progressively more innings.

I have no idea if that answered your question.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:45 AM   #19
CBeisbol
Banned

Here's the pitching staff for one of my league's rookie league level.

Lots of players pitching 2-4 innings per outing.
Most every player starts and relieves.
Attached Images
Old 11-23-2020, 12:55 PM   #20
ALB123
All Star Reserve

Thanks for sharing all of that. I'm always looking for new ways to maximize a pitcher's opportunity to grow without being a hindrance to 5 other guys on the same Rookie or Short-Season A team.

I have been setting my single Rookie-level team's SPs to pitch counts of 75. Otherwise, several relievers don't get the innings they deserve. Actually, instead of calling anyone an SP or RP, I should just call them all just Pitchers. I do a very similar routine where just about everybody is going to start a couple of baseball games. Although I always make a few exceptions with the 0.5/0.5 pitchers I inevitably end up with every season whether they be ~35th Round draft picks or bums auto promoted from my International complex.

I'm confused about the inability to set a limit on the number of batters faced by a particular pitcher. For some reason, I really thought I'd read posts from you and a few others talking about actually using it. Well, obviously, I was mistaken. So, what the heck does this setting do in a pitcher's individual strategy screen?

What does Batters Faced actually do?

Boy, I already spend a lot of time on my Rookie, SSA & Class A teams fiddling with the pitchers and especially the depth charts & lineups. I have a feeling that if I incorporate some of your training philosophies I will improve my pitcher development. Again, thank you for sharing.

P.S. If anyone is curious, this is the personal Strategy screen for Pat Mahomes. He's the father of some kid who throws footballs or something. LOL! He's on a 100 Pitch leash due to his 50 Stamina