Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 23 > OOTP 23- New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 23- New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 01-03-2023, 08:32 AM   #1
Arthurnoah32
Bat Boy

New to OOTP and baseball in general. what to do?

I just got the game on the technoblade merch store and went through all of the tutorials, but I'm still not really sure what to do. I am no closer to understanding what all of these statistics represent, nor do I have any idea how to build up a lineup or manage the lower leagues.

My understanding of baseball is really limited, and the only exposure I've had to the sport is by seeing videos of Jon Bois and part of a Yankees–Guardians game the day before.

We would be grateful for any assistance.

Last edited by Arthurnoah32; 03-01-2023 at 10:50 AM.
Arthurnoah32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 02:06 PM   #2
Haiku
Minors (Single A)

I'm in the same boat. I can suggest you to look for a YouTube channel called TheOnDeckCircle. There's a series of videos explaining baseball rules for beginners in-depth. Also there's a series about baseball stats. It's all very informative and well explained. Give it a try.
Haiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 09:53 PM   #3
Pelican
Hall Of Famer

Wow, respect to each of you for facing the challenge of learning a game that is new to you. I never really considered it, but OOTP presupposes familiarity with baseball rules, traditions, and statistics. Many of us have played and coached and watched hundreds of games. The good news is that the basics of the game are simple. It’s the strategy that can be complex. Sort of like chess in that respect. If chess players kept detailed stats going back 150 years.

The good news is that OOTP is adaptable to virtually any level of challenge. One way to start might be to set up a replay of the 2022 Season, same rosters, same schedule, letting the AI act as field manager (game strategy) and general manager (trades, financials, player development) for all teams. That way, you could watch individual games and get a feel for play, see what the managers do, see how the players perform. After the game is over, you can examine the boxscore, and begin to understand how statistics are compiled, and what they mean. Then you can look at scores from all games, standings, statistics, transactions, milestones, going day by day. At any point - if you are playing in “commissioner” mode, you could take over one of the teams. Think of this as purely practice and getting a feel for the game play. Results are not important, yet.

Glad to hear there is a YouTube series on baseball. You could do worse than to watch the Ken Burns series for PBS (in the U.S.) for the history of the game.

One thing I’d strongly suggest is getting out to watch an actual game. MLB would be great, or better yet Spring Training. But any organized game will help you make sense of things, down to Little League. The rules are basically the same. Depending upon where you are, you might be in season. I hope so.

Last edited by Pelican; 01-03-2023 at 09:56 PM.
Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 04:53 PM   #4
Colorado
Major Leagues

Speaking as a fairly newish baseball fan, the biggest hurdle with regards to OOTP is understanding the complexity of player contracts.

It helps if you are familiar with the NHL which is similar but not as complex, but if you are European and just used to football (soccer), there is no comparison.
Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 07:30 PM   #5
The Game
Hall Of Famer

My
1. start small. Create a small fictional league. use Reserve Roster or just AAA and learn the players and the stats.
2. Watch the various YouTube videos to learn the screens and what you can do.
3. Use the various mods and learn how to install them.
4. back up often. set it to save weekly or daily.
5. Stay away from Challenge mode.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 06:19 AM   #6
Palaaemon
Minors (Triple A)

Welcome to the addiction called OOTP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurnoah32 View Post
I just got the game and went through all of the tutorials, but I'm still not really sure what to do. I am no closer to understanding what all of these statistics represent, nor do I have any idea how to build up a lineup or manage the lower leagues.

My understanding of baseball is really limited, and the only exposure I've had to the sport is by seeing videos of Jon Bois and part of a Yankees–Guardians game the day before.

We would be grateful for any assistance.
First and foremost Have fun!!!. The company motto is "There is no wrong way to play". There are many ways to play as you will find out as you go along. My suggestion as far as the game goes is to keep it simple until you feel comfortable with the rules and the game. It can take some time so don't get discouraged. We all find something new in the game that we didn't know yesterday or hadn't seen before (happens less and less now than when we first started).

There are a lot of great websites and books out there that will help you with learning everything from the baseball rules, what the statistics and abbreviations mean and how they are calculated, sabremetric principles and research as well as advanced metrics (that will come later). Check out your local library, ebook provider, local bookstores, etc. for books on information on baseball. Good websites would be Mlb, Baseball-Reference and Fangraphs just to name a few.

I wish you luck and keep asking questions if you have them. Lastly always, Always, ALWAYS back your game! I back mine up regularly, like at least once per irl day or sooner if something important happens (like winning the world series or something else that would be detrimental to lose if say the game crashed). Saving the game does not solve this. Make sure that you back it up!
Old 02-07-2023, 09:21 PM   #7
jw1952tx
Bat Boy

New to OOTP and have been playing an historical season. But looking around and I think joining a league will be the way to go. Just dont want to jump in to soon and be in over my head. But so far so good. Enjoying the game.
jw1952tx is offline   Reply With Quote