Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 10-08-2019, 10:03 PM   #21
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

how's the rabbit hole going?
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 12:40 AM   #22
CBeisbol
Banned

Just played out an entire spring training

Not one runner was thrown out at second.
Home and third, yes
Never at second

This seems...not accurate
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonCo View Post
Using a script to scan OOTP game logs (and whatever settings we have here), in about 24 games of our 32-team online league we've had the following runners thrown out trying to advance to:

2B: 9
3B: 55
Home: 148
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:57 AM   #23
Pendragon
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward1 View Post
or trying to score on a wild pitch or passed ball? they get thrown out all the time trying to score from 2nd with 2 outs but I've never seen these two scenarios
I have seen running get thrown out trying to stretch a single into a double (three times see you made this post), but it is very rare.

I have never seen a runner thrown out trying to score on a wild pitch or passed ball. They always score.
Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:03 AM   #24
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
I have seen running get thrown out trying to stretch a single into a double (three times see you made this post), but it is very rare.

I have never seen a runner thrown out trying to score on a wild pitch or passed ball. They always score.
If a runner is thrown out advancing there is no WP or PB to count.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:15 AM   #25
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Exactly! This.

If I'm not mistaken (and I often am ), the result comes first and then the visualization of the result. So a pitch that gets away from the catcher a bit, for whatever reason, but doesn't advance any runners, isn't going to show up in the visualization of the game.
Now, are the instances where a runner is out trying to advance on what might have been ruled a wild pitch or passed ball had the runner been safe built into the game? I'm not sure.

The Denver Brewers of the W.P. Kinsella League--
The fun starts here(1965-1971: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=289570
And continues here (1972-1976): https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=300500
On we go (1977- 1979): https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=314601
For ongoing and more random updates on the WPK:https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=325147, https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=330717
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:33 AM   #26
Pendragon
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Yes, we are seeing the result of a wild pitch or passed ball that the system has already "rolled" per se, not a dynamic play in progress.

OOTP apparently does not have animation code in place to show someone being thrown out attempting to advance on a wayward pitch, only an animation for when the play results in runners advancing.

I think this is fine as is in the overall context of what the game is portraying.
Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:40 AM   #27
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
Yes, we are seeing the result of a wild pitch or passed ball that the system has already "rolled" per se, not a dynamic play in progress.

OOTP apparently does not have animation code in place to show someone being thrown out attempting to advance on a wayward pitch, only an animation for when the play results in runners advancing.

I think this is fine as is in the overall context of what the game is portraying.
There would still be a lot of unrepresented outs on the bases then, no?
Old 10-25-2019, 11:26 AM   #28
RonCo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Just played out an entire spring training

Not one runner was thrown out at second.
Home and third, yes
Never at second

This seems...not accurate
I can only report what I can report. Per a script I run on game logs, in a 32 team league, through June 1 (about 55-57 games per team?), I get:

Runners thrown out by outfielders at:

2B: 19
3B: 139
HR: 294
RonCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 12:37 PM   #29
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
I can only report what I can report. Per a script I run on game logs, in a 32 team league, through June 1 (about 55-57 games per team?), I get:

To be clear, I wasn't saying that your numbers weren't accurate.

I was saying that OOTP's numbers don't seem accurate.

A runner thrown out at 2nd every 47 games?

Maybe I'll have a chance to check. Or someone will beat me to it

Last edited by CBeisbol; 10-25-2019 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:40 PM   #30
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Thanks for the facts, RonCo.

I am only guestimating… no facts... I play out the last 3-4 innings of my games so I can control relief pitchers, pinchhitters and defensive subs... and I don't remember having never seen a runner thrown out at second trying to stretch a single... but it's a small sample of games.
I am really watching for it to happen now.

Though an inside-the-park homer is very rare... I will be watching to see if anyone ever gets thrown out at home stretching a triple.

I often see players trying to stretch a double to a triple thrown out at third... I think this is fairly accurate... an outfielder has more time to throw to third than second base and will throw out more runners.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 10-25-2019 at 12:47 PM.
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 12:53 PM   #31
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
There would still be a lot of unrepresented outs on the bases then, no?
No, when this happens, it's recorded as a caught stealing. So every time you see a CS in a box score, there's a chance it could be a ball in the dirt that the runner tried to advance on. As others have stated, the animation for such a play doesn't exist in OOTP (and I don't believe PbP text does, either), so there's really no way to distinguish this from a regular caught stealing even if you're playing out the game.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 12:57 PM   #32
RonCo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Church View Post
Thanks for the facts, RonCo.

I am only guestimating… no facts... I play out the last 3-4 innings of my games so I can control relief pitchers, pinchhitters and defensive subs... and I don't remember having never seen a runner thrown out at second trying to stretch a single... but it's a small sample of games.
I am really watching for it to happen now.

Though an inside-the-park homer is very rare... I will be watching to see if anyone ever gets thrown out at home stretching a triple.

I often see players trying to stretch a double to a triple thrown out at third... I think this is fairly accurate... an outfielder has more time to throw to third than second base and will throw out more runners.
I can say that none of the guys thrown out at home were on plays where a triple was credited, so to date, at least, none have been thrown out on an attempted inside the park homer.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:02 PM   #33
RonCo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
To be clear, I wasn't saying that your numbers weren't accurate.

I was saying that OOTP's numbers don't seem accurate.

A runner thrown out at 2nd every 47 games?

Maybe I'll have a chance to check. Or someone will beat me to it
Given the league size, across the league that would be one guy thrown out stretching a single about every three days. That doesn't seem too horrible, but I admit I don't know. My initial gut reaction is that there might be too many being tossed out at the other bases...but again, I don't know.

Also, this is an online league, and I don't know what kind of base-running aggressiveness settings people are using for their teams...nor do I know how often runners are succeeding...or which runners succeed vs. not-succeed.
Old 10-25-2019, 04:07 PM   #34
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:

In 2019, there were
459 outs made at 2B
344 outs made at 3B
454 outs made at home
*https://www.baseball-reference.com/l...-batting.shtml

per B-R, outs made on the bases "include out advancing on a fly ball, out attempting to reach another base on a hit, doubled off on a line drive, or out attempting to advance on a wild pitch or ground ball. Does not include pickoffs, caught stealing or force plays"
Old 10-25-2019, 04:11 PM   #35
RonCo
Hall Of Famer

Outstanding. So both thoughts are right--too few at 2B, too many at 3B and home ... at least in this league.
Old 10-25-2019, 06:00 PM   #36
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

In my Islandian Pro Alliance playoff game, I just had a runner throw out at second trying to stretch a single... so it does happen... it could be I just might not pay attention to it... it's just another out.

I agree with RonCo… it should happen more than at third base.
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 08:54 AM   #37
Dave Hansen
Major Leagues

Saw a runner thrown out trying to go to second just yesterday in my league.
Dave Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:52 PM   #38
CBeisbol
Banned

Well, it happened

I had a runner thrown out trying to get a double

After playing every spring training game and every game of the season, in finally happened in the 60th game,

Based on this, and the data provided earlier, this doesn't seem nearly frequent enough
Old 11-05-2019, 07:27 PM   #39
nickwatic
Minors (Double A)

Actually happened to me today. I was down 4-3 in the 9th and my guy hit a single and decided now was the time to go for 2nd base in a game that we could afford no mistakes

nickwatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 06:15 AM   #40
dward1
All Star Reserve

this is clearly blatantly off. there is a lot of coding clean-up they can do with the in-game engine. a total re-write is probably needed soon as it doesn't quite feel "real" enough, often feels like it's just a spreadsheet with a bit of sloppy if,then stuff (too many balks with runner on third for example, too many wild pitches scoring runs and no one ever out at home on those, along with the poor distribution of runners out at bases we are talking here, the confusing tag up system, way too often runners thrown out at home with 2 outs on a single, etc).
dward1 is offline   Reply With Quote