Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team > PT Dynasty Reports

PT Dynasty Reports Tell us about your very own Perfect Team!

Old 07-08-2019, 02:52 AM   #1
Canthereon
Minors (Single A)

Dah Bears: A Tribute

I spent a lot of time recently thinking about my childhood as a Cubs fan. My Grandfather had season tickets through his workplace, and was able to get our family to two games a year. He was a stereotypical Chicago fan, with a love of 'dah Bears, dah Bulls, and dah Cubbies' as he would often say. Thanks to his passion, I was able to enjoy the talents of my favorite player growing up, Mark Grace, up close.

So, thinking about all of these fond memories, I decided to make a historical Cubs tribute team. Here are the rules:

- Any Cubs player before 2019

- White Stockings players (if I ever get any) are fine

- Pay to Play approved

Essentially, I've been picking up fairly priced cards from the AH, and the roster is mostly finalized. The cards I am missing at this point are pretty much 100k plus, so I'll start working packs after I pickup Gabby Harnet (90) and Sammy Sosa (91) for decent prices. Lee Smith (100) for under 150k or Mordecai Brown (98) would also be cards that would tempt me, but spending 100 bucks on a card is not as fun as opening 175 packs, so we'll see.

I see this team being pretty competitive probably through Gold and then falling off in Diamond somewhere in the middle. Defense up the middle is solid, but Third and Right aren't great. Pitching is actually pretty good, decent movement and control. Hitting is more focused on power than average, but nothing really stands out to me as great. For now I'm sticking with a ballpark modeling how OOTP represents Wrigley, so a slight bent towards hitters with 1.002 average and home run modifiers.

I look forward to watching some of my favorite historical legends playing together against your teams
Attached Images

F2P:

Last edited by Canthereon; 07-09-2019 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Removed IMG link
Canthereon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:25 AM   #2
Canthereon
Minors (Single A)

So far, Dah Bears are off to a hot start in the Iron .231, with a 24-3 record..

Some highlights include:
Mark Grace (70) .340/.403/.528
Heinie Zimmerman (96) .339/.378/.642

Greg Maddux (92) 1.29 ERA, .231 BABIP, .76 WHIP
Dizzy Dean (89) 1.13 ERA, .231 BABIP, .88 WHIP

Not much of a surprise here, but excited to see if more varied achievements can be snagged on the way
Attached Images

F2P:

Last edited by Canthereon; 07-09-2019 at 02:28 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:30 AM   #3
Canthereon
Minors (Single A)

The team continues to do well at a 48-6 record. We had another large winning streak, this time of 18 games. The highlight has to be the last game. I couldn't figure out why Ernie Banks was pinch running for Don Kessinger in the 5th, since Banks is a bit slower, until I went to the bottom of the 5th:
Attached Images

F2P:

Last edited by Canthereon; 07-10-2019 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:34 AM   #4
Magus978
All Star Starter

Genuinely curious...how much of your own $ have you put in to get that team in Iron? I do like that you've earmarked everything towards a specific cause, and not freewheeling in packs just because you can

Hope none of my teams run into you until at least Diamond (where my $ team lurks), because they wouldn't stand a chance

http://twitch.tv/GanbaMagus

Last edited by Magus978; 07-10-2019 at 10:39 AM.
Magus978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:50 AM   #5
Canthereon
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus978 View Post
Genuinely curious...how much of your own $ have you put in to get that team in Iron? I do like that you've earmarked everything towards a specific cause, and not freewheeling in packs just because you can :
Yeah no worries, $200 so far, with about 50k points leftover. Biggest ticket items were 55k for Bruce Sutter (probably an overpayment but he got mentioned in a couple of other forum posts, tends to spike prices a bit), 42k for Jake Arrieta, and 40k for all of the live cubs to get Hippo Vaughn (not many solid lefty options in this set). Everything else was 20k or way less.

Part of this was timing. I noticed that with the spike of all the collection cards, non collection items were dipping, and basically no historical Cubs are in collections

F2P:
Old 07-12-2019, 03:18 AM   #6
Canthereon
Minors (Single A)

Through today, Dah Bears are 82-24. Had a solid presence in the all star game, sending 10 players. We had both the highest voted player and the MVP:
Attached Images

F2P:
Old 07-13-2019, 05:26 AM   #7
Canthereon
Minors (Single A)

Thanks to some late night postings, I was able to pick up three more pieces, the highlight being Mordecai Brown (98)! The lineup is now pretty much complete, minus the 100k+ PP cards.
Attached Images

F2P:

Last edited by Canthereon; 07-14-2019 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Posted the wrong attachment
Old 07-15-2019, 02:09 AM   #8
Canthereon
Minors (Single A)

Champions!

In their first season, Dah Bears met all expectations by winning the Iron League Championship with a sweep! My favorite player won the series MVP as well

Other highlights included MVP Heinie Zimmerman and Pitcher of the Year Jake Arrieta.
Attached Images

F2P:
Old 07-17-2019, 02:21 AM   #9
Canthereon
Minors (Single A)

One more note from last season, I gained 34,705 PP from achievements. Not too shabby

This season so far, Dah Bears are performing similarly in Bronze .272. The races are a bit closer, as the Bears have a 45-10 record with a RDiff of 167, there is another team, the Taipei Sambar Deer with a 108 Rdiff.

The season stats so far are promising, with Dah Bears performing significantly better defensively than last season, already a double digit positive ZR.

Heinie Zimmerman continues to light it up, with a .354/.383/.603 line.

Greg Maddux is the workhorse in the lineup right now, with a 1.76 ERA, 1.19 WHIP, and .261 BABIP.

Amazing Grace is only hitting a .238 right now. A big factor is a lot of lefty starters being faced. 21 out of 55 games so far.

Of course, have to end with a fun new achievement for me
Attached Images

F2P:
Old 07-20-2019, 01:06 AM   #10
Canthereon
Minors (Single A)

With 31 games remaining, Dah Bears have clinched their division, on pace to an even better record than last year.

The team leads in Runs, AVG, HR, and ERA. The team ZR is 17.8, not terrible, but that will fall off quickly as we get to higher divisions.

Bruce Sutter as a closer is doing well, 1.36 ERA with a WHIP of 0.70, picking up 41 Saves so far.
Attached Images

F2P:
Old 07-22-2019, 02:10 AM   #11
Canthereon
Minors (Single A)

Bronze Champs!

Dah Bears take the Bronze Level Series against the Lincoln Devils, 4-2. We were 1st in Runs, AVG, HR, and ERA, A total of 25,090 PP were earned this season.

Bruce Sutter got a unanimous Reliever of the Year, and Mordecai Brown got a unanimous Pitcher of the Year, with 10.1 WAR!

As always, when I see an interesting achievement, I will add it. This one is interesting in that it clearly doesn't scale and seems incredibly impressive for the meager PP provided
Attached Images
Image Image 

F2P:
Old 07-23-2019, 02:49 AM   #12
Canthereon
Minors (Single A)

Saw a Lee Smith going for a starting of 139k, ended up getting him for 150k even, so not too shabby.

Day 1 in the books sees Dah Bears with a 14-11 record in Silver .251. The hitting has completely fallen off compared to Bronze, currently clippng a .251 AVG vs the .280 posted last season. ERA is nearly a full point higher, 3.55 vs 2.64. In his first outing, our brand new Lee Smith gave up 4 hits and a run.

A lot of bad luck all around, so we won't react too heavily or make sweeping changes. At some point the focus may need to turn from defense to hitting, but we should be a bit away from that stage.
Attached Images

F2P:
Old 07-24-2019, 03:42 AM   #13
Canthereon
Minors (Single A)

The team is now 33-20, picking up a bit of momentum and leading the division by 5 games. AVG has slightly increased to .257, while ERA has significantly dropped to 3.16. The team seems to be getting over the hump at this point. Surprisingly, they have posted a +21.2 Zone Rating.

Pitching is the best in the league right now, in every category except bullpen ERA and strikeouts. Lee Smith has only given up 7 hits in the 10 games since his debut, earning only 1 more run.

King Kelly and Cap Anson are the only real pickups left that I know of. I would grab a king Kelly if it drops under 200k, since I don't plan on putting more money into the team at this time. He would replace Andy Pafko, who has hit .281/.346/.503 at peak, currently .217/.276/.344.
Attached Images

F2P:
Old 07-25-2019, 03:14 AM   #14
Canthereon
Minors (Single A)

Dah Bears are now 1st in every pitching category but strikeouts. On defense, ZR is up to a +29, and 2nd overall Defensive Efficiency at .695. Hitting isn't great in any category except overall batting WAR, which is 2nd at 13.5.

Had some fun streaks for achievements this cycle
Attached Images

F2P:
Old 07-26-2019, 03:33 AM   #15
Canthereon
Minors (Single A)

Dah Bears have fallen off completely in hitting again, with a .259 team average. Defense and pitching remain strong, so the team still has a 5.5 game lead, but we'll see if they can maintain.

I'm still a bit surprised at this drop off. I'm playing against teams with a lot of live players that have similar or worse stats to mine, so I'm chalking this rough season up to the randomness of baseball.

At least Ryno had a good game today
Attached Images

F2P:
Old 07-28-2019, 05:29 AM   #16
Canthereon
Minors (Single A)

After most of the season was a back and forth, limping to the top of the division, Dah Bears knew they needed to make a big change. The timing was everything, and now King Kelly is part of the lineup.

He made an immediate impact, and took Dah Bears to 20-8 in their final games to finish 94-68.

Andy Pafko and Riggs Stephenson head to the bench as King Kelly pulls full time duty in left. Glenn Beckert steps in to bat against lefties at first to help out Mark Grace.
Attached Images
Image Image 

F2P:

Last edited by Canthereon; 07-28-2019 at 05:45 AM.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:04 AM   #17
Canthereon
Minors (Single A)

Silver Series goes the distance

In a tough contest with a good team, Dah Bears come up just short of victory in the Silver .251 championship against the Erehwon Mysterians four games to three.

In the top of the eighth, with Dah Bears leading 3 - 2, and one out, ace reliever Lee Smith walked Jose Altuve to load the bases. Robin Yount came up to the plate and hit a 2 RBI double to seal their victory.

"I just couldn't find the plate" remarked Smith after the game. "When you're going against the best, you have to hit your spots, and I just couldn't."

"This one stings" Ditka told reporters. "We have a solid group of guys who dominated all year, we just didn't execute our game plan."

Dah Bears earned 15500 PP, continuing their normalizing slide. King Kelly should contribute significantly in Gold, but we'll see if the rest of the team can pick it up.
Attached Images

F2P:
Old 07-31-2019, 03:21 AM   #18
Canthereon
Minors (Single A)

Dah Bears are back to top form thanks to King Kelly and Heinie Zimmerman in the Gold level, with the best RDiff so far at +78. Heinie has hit 20 HRs in 54 games so far, and King Kelly has swiped 30 bases.
Attached Images

F2P:
Old 08-01-2019, 01:47 AM   #19
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Dahhhhh Bears.

Ditka.

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 03:40 AM   #20
Canthereon
Minors (Single A)

Things continue to improve as Dah Bears are in sole possession of first place with a +121 Rdiff. Due to timing, circumstances, and general weakness, Cap Anson joins the squad and Glenn Beckert heads back to the reserve roster. The roster is likely finalized, and has a chance of getting to perfect now

I also failed to mention that Pete Alexander took over for Calude Passeau in the long relief role. Defense on the team makes the ultra low contact rough to continue.

Mark Prior threw quite an inning today as well
Attached Images
Image Image 

F2P: