Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 01-15-2018, 02:17 AM   #1
dynaboyj
Major Leagues

Do career-ending injuries happen in real life?

Not a criticism, but rather just interested--I've always thought the way OOTP handles career-ending injuries to be rather dramatic, with a guy often knowing 4 days after he tears a labrum that he can never play again.

Though injuries regularly destroy real-life athletes' careers, I always thought it to be a gradual thing where they try to recuperate and eventually realize it's not working out for them. Has an injury (other than the rare unfortunate cases of death) ever led to a player's immediate retirement in real life?
dynaboyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 02:44 AM   #2
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Heres what i found
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/9...in-mlb-history
1. Tony Saunders & whomever else is in the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unF08R9YcOQ

2. Nick Johnson, i guess
On February 8, 2012, Johnson signed a minor league contract with the Baltimore Orioles. He attended spring training and competed for a spot on the major league roster, which he earned. He was hitless through his first 28 at-bats for the Orioles, before finally collecting a double in a game against the Yankees on May 1. He suffered a wrist injury on June 27, 2012, and did not play again for the rest of the season.

3. Dravecky

found this also
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...were-cut-short
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:10 AM   #3
Jeffy25
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynaboyj View Post
Not a criticism, but rather just interested--I've always thought the way OOTP handles career-ending injuries to be rather dramatic, with a guy often knowing 4 days after he tears a labrum that he can never play again.

Though injuries regularly destroy real-life athletes' careers, I always thought it to be a gradual thing where they try to recuperate and eventually realize it's not working out for them. Has an injury (other than the rare unfortunate cases of death) ever led to a player's immediate retirement in real life?
Yeah.

I'd rather see injuries that just zap a players ability to play at the MLB level after recovery, then just flat out 'career ending'

They could also just retire instead as well.
Jeffy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:40 AM   #4
Jerry Helper
Major Leagues

The only time that happened to a cornerstone of my team was when it happened to Pete Reiser, who was essentially my best player. It sucked, but from a historical perspective I accepted it
Jerry Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:53 AM   #5
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
prince fielder
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:48 PM   #6
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Juan Encarnacion
Old 01-15-2018, 02:51 PM   #7
thirdsaint
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallewalls View Post
prince fielder
This is the most recent example that works best. I remember being shocked to hear the news about him retiring due to his neck. It doesn't happen often in real life and, to be honest, I haven't seen it happen but maybe once or twice in my 12 season league in OOTP.
thirdsaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 03:05 PM   #8
itsmb8
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallewalls View Post
prince fielder
Cant believe I forgot about Prince, considering he was my favorite player his entire career.
itsmb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 03:20 PM   #9
22tbrads22
Minors (Double A)

most rotator cuff tears in pitchers completely end there ability to throw the ball ever again. Its just about the way those decelerators in the shoulder work to where if you tear them youre pretty much done for
22tbrads22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:07 PM   #10
SuperHappyTime
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Adam Greenberg, who is known for another infamous reason (hit in head by first pitch). I feel for the guy.
SuperHappyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:49 PM   #11
Marsupilami
Major Leagues

D. Wright will be the next one

Marsupilami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:23 PM   #12
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Ray Chapman ....
from WIKI:
"Raymond Johnson "Ray" Chapman (January 15, 1891 – August 17, 1920) was an American baseball player, spending his entire career as a shortstop for the Cleveland Indians. Chapman was hit in the head by a pitch thrown by Yankees pitcher Carl Mays, and died 12 hours later."
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:57 PM   #13
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Death is the ultimate CEI

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:35 PM   #14
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynaboyj View Post

I don't know if OOTP does this to a small degree or not at all (because I don't play with any long-term injuries), but it seems that few CEI's should be instantly reported as such, and most CEI's should follow something like this:

1) player suffers a serious injury to [body part], diagnosis pending
2) injury is fully diagnosed as season-ending, surgery-required
3) at some point - probably at least a few months after the diagnosis, often longer in order to account for surgery and some rehab - the player either:

a) returns with significantly lessened ratings (suggesting a guy who is trying to come back but simply no longer has it) that will, through the natural course of things, result in his unemployment & retirement, or
b) simply retires (suggesting that the player gave rehab a shot but it just wasn't in the cards)

The success or lack thereof of the player's recovery should partially be determined by his age.

I would think that most of the mechanism to support this is already in OOTP. But we gamers like to make OOTP program changes sound simpler than they really are...
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:45 PM   #15
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

anyone say garciaparra, yet?

significantly worse after injury... ended it short, for sure. i'm not a boston fan, but i remember it being his wrists.

there are far fewer lasting effects of injuries now compared to early baseball. not jsut the improved surgeries but how we handle injuries from the point of occurence all the way through the end of re-hab.

basically, the only ones that don't ~fully recover are the ones that don't put in the time and the 'all rare things that still add up to seldom' that could cause it. some stuff is still scary, obviously... no gaurantees on tommy john surgery even though it's mostly good, if not better performance afterward. you can almost set a clock for that surgery, too.

Do CEI only occur with storylines on? or does that only provide an asthetic backdrop?

i have a feeling they don't, or i've had great luck.. i saw them when i'd accidentally leave that option on. at the least it affects frequency, lol.

pretty sure they come back with lowered ratings on occasion with serious injury... then again that also could have been when i accidentally left storylines on, but that's less likely.

the new injury system sounded nice and robust. should review the old changelog/feature list when it was implemented (this year, 99% sure)

Last edited by NoOne; 01-15-2018 at 07:49 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:55 AM   #16
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post

The success or lack thereof of the player's recovery should partially be determined by his age.
It should probably also be influenced slightly by work ethic and to an even lesser extent by intelligence and greed. High work ethic means theyll try harder to come back. Intelligence both in knowing whether to try a comeback / how to rehab properly and greed because greedy players might hang on for one last pay day even with really crabby ratings.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:20 PM   #17
Silfir
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
I don't know if OOTP does this to a small degree or not at all (because I don't play with any long-term injuries), but it seems that few CEI's should be instantly reported as such, and most CEI's should follow something like this:

1) player suffers a serious injury to [body part], diagnosis pending
2) injury is fully diagnosed as season-ending, surgery-required
3) at some point - probably at least a few months after the diagnosis, often longer in order to account for surgery and some rehab - the player either:

a) returns with significantly lessened ratings (suggesting a guy who is trying to come back but simply no longer has it) that will, through the natural course of things, result in his unemployment & retirement, or
b) simply retires (suggesting that the player gave rehab a shot but it just wasn't in the cards)

I would think that most of the mechanism to support this is already in OOTP. But we gamers like to make OOTP program changes sound simpler than they really are...
The mechanism not only is already in OOTP, all of these already happen with some regularity - both the players on a long-term injury that suffer a setback in rehab some months down the line that ends up career-ending, as well as pitchers who come back a shadow of a former self.

If injuries that are immediately deemed career-ending upon diagnosis happen a little more often in OOTP than they do in real life, it's a concession to the players - there's little more maddening than having a character with a season-ending injury make it past the once-a-year retirement date, only for his injury to turn career-ending later, saddling you with another year of paying their salary.

Last edited by Silfir; 01-17-2018 at 12:28 PM.
Silfir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:56 AM   #18
torpidbeaver
Major Leagues

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I'd also like to see something like the reverse, albeit in rare conditions:

Player gets a season-ending injury in Spring Training or whatever. Couple months later, maybe an email about how he's doing well in rehab, expects to be back almost as good as new next year. Then suddenly an email from the trainers, in awe of how he's bouncing back and healing. Now it's late September and, yeah, he's probably taken a little hit on the ratings, but he's bounced back 4 months early from a torn whatever.

Something like Adrian Peterson. Having a hard time coming up with a baseball example.

Then maybe oops, yeah, he really shouldn't have come back so quickly, and a reinjury now means he's gone for most of next season too. Guess you'd have to trust your trainer and your player's intelligence. Maybe an example of where a hard core work ethic could work against you?
torpidbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:04 AM   #19
Silfir
Minors (Double A)

If you squint a little even that is already in the game, too. Players can do well in rehab and come back months earlier than expected, and players who already got injured for months are typically injury prone in general, so it's not uncommon for them to re-injure themselves later that season. So the sequence of events you describe is pretty much inevitable to happen eventually if you play enough seasons. I'm pretty sure I've had that pattern occur before.

Now, custom storylines are a thing, and this would be an example of a worthy one to add. I just find it important to acknowledge just how good of a simulation OOTP is, even if it often requires the player to fill in the blanks when it comes to storytelling.
Silfir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:59 AM   #20
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

Kirby Pucket he was hit in the EYE and never played again and died a few years later. He was a for sure HOF player but I think he only played 9 years ultimately failed to get into HOF due to rules although I do remember they said something of possibly suspending rules for him and I do not recall and didn't look it up at this time of the results.
He has the greatest Centerfield arm I have ever seen yet .... At Tiger Stadium 440 feet away he gets a ball that hit wall and threw it to the catcher on one bounce and got the Tiger runner out. My dad and I was in a WOW moment. Still have never forgotten that play
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote