Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-12-2018, 02:03 PM   #1
drowssap
Minors (Double A)

I Think I Made a Mistake Signing This Guy

I needed a catcher in the offseason (according to my owner). I was plenty happy with the guy I had, but I figured why not? It was a weird signing...he was in my minor league system, then became a free agent. I signed him for 4 years at 40.5 million. He looked like a world beater, but 1 month into the season, his ratings dropped like a stone. I knew he wasn't going to hit .300, but he's such a disappointment, I'm thinking about putting the 10 million dollar man on the bench. What could have gone wrong so soon on this guy? He's 24, so there's time, but I thought there would be progression instead of regression.

Just an FYI: I may be premature in giving up on the guy and that may stem from the way I play. I do play by play, all 162 games...so I see this guy hit groundout after groundout and this may be a frustration thread. LOL
Attached Images
Image Image 
drowssap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 02:12 PM   #2
niles08
Minors (Rookie Ball)

It only appears his overall dropped, not his actual ratings...I am guessing that is due to having the overalls have to do with stats for this season at a high percentage? I would ride this guy out, and he can probably get his average up to .240 or so.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:24 PM   #3
Reggie
Major Leagues

Not sure the signing was a mistake but he may never live up to a $10 million dollar contract. I usually have at least one guy like this on my roster. If I give up on him I try to trade for another high price guy with a shorter contract.
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 02:26 PM   #4
drowssap
Minors (Double A)

I'll try. I think I just have a soft spot for Chris Herrmann. He got the starting job last year after Ianetta hit .130. He got some big hits, including a couple of game winners.

Actually, half of my team is underachieving. To top it off, my 18 game winner and my closer are out for the year. Archie Bradley had a 0.00 ERA until recently when he got blown up in the 9th.

Here's Hermann. He had a very respectable year last year.
Attached Images
Old 04-12-2018, 02:30 PM   #5
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

When you play every game, it is easy to mistake a slump for a long-term trend. It is hard to be patient for weeks in real life, but it might take that long depending upon how fast you play. I wouldn’t second guess a $40 million contract on 135 plate appearances.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 02:45 PM   #6
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

man I was expecting an OPS in the 400s the way you were talking.

he's currently on pace for 1.1 war which happens to be worth almost exactly his 8.5M salary. and that's while playing awfully in your opinion! assuming this is an MLB quickstart with nothing wonky in the stats/financials.

definitely keep him starting

Last edited by dkgo; 04-12-2018 at 02:47 PM.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:58 PM   #7
5-4-3
Minors (Double A)

Your “mistake” is only costing you about $1.325 million a year (salary minus value).

I wish all of my OOTP mistakes were that cheap.
5-4-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 12:20 AM   #8
drowssap
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-4-3 View Post
Your “mistake” is only costing you about $1.325 million a year (salary minus value).

I wish all of my OOTP mistakes were that cheap.
If that's the case, maybe I'm more lucky than good.

On another hand, this guy was a great acquisition. Chicago is paying 85% of the salary.
Attached Images
Old 04-13-2018, 02:17 AM   #9
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
When you play every game, it is easy to mistake a slump for a long-term trend. It is hard to be patient for weeks in real life, but it might take that long depending upon how fast you play. I wouldn’t second guess a $40 million contract on 135 plate appearances.
Yeah, I remember Billy Beane talking about how he'd go into the clubhouse and work out during games because it would keep him from watching players and making rash decisions about them. Baseball is a tough game like that. You see things that you think are meaningful in a game but usually they aren't unless they're part of a trend.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:33 AM   #10
drhay53
Major Leagues

Several things could be happening:

1) Your scouts could be wrong

2) Every player has a hidden adaptability rating that could cause them to take quite a while to settle in. Some guys it takes more than a season, really.

3) You're a bit crazy for offering a guy with 11 career MLB PA 40 mil

4) You're having buyer's remorse combined with a slump combined with it taking a while for the guy to settle in.

He's there now, let him play. If he's still not living up to your evaluation of his contract next season, someone may trade you a utility player or decent reliever for him just to get him off your mind. On the plus side, he's a magnificent defensive catcher, so he really won't be hurting you much leaving him in there to work through the stuff at the plate. In my experience some catchers never work through it though.

Last edited by drhay53; 04-13-2018 at 11:34 AM.
drhay53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:21 PM   #11
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

it's a catcher and he doesn't look half-bad at all. he's only 24, so if something better comes along you can easily trade that guy. just do it day one of offseason for most teams with budget space possible.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:22 PM   #12
andyhdz
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowssap View Post
I'll try. I think I just have a soft spot for Chris Herrmann. He got the starting job last year after Ianetta hit .130. He got some big hits, including a couple of game winners.

Actually, half of my team is underachieving. To top it off, my 18 game winner and my closer are out for the year. Archie Bradley had a 0.00 ERA until recently when he got blown up in the 9th.

Here's Hermann. He had a very respectable year last year.
Nice. Just saw Herrmann in person last night for the Rainiers when they played the Fresno Grizzlies.
andyhdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 01:00 PM   #13
drowssap
Minors (Double A)

Just a quick update: Near the trading deadline and he' still not hitting. I have tried a few different catchers to see what I can get, but got next to nothing as far as production. Herrmann, Matt Weiters (FA signee) and Blake Swihart (trade) have all hit under .200. Going by memory, I think they were all under .150! I have stuck with Swihart because he can play other positions and he has no option years left.

This offseason this guy is gone.
Attached Images
Old 04-19-2018, 03:42 PM   #14
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

It looks to me like this guy strikes out so much that he's right at the threshold to where a player can still hit for a decent average if his BABIP is OK. It looks like this guy's BABIP has been kind of trash and it's hard to say at this point if it's just bad luck or if he's just plain slow and/or pops up a lot. Sometimes a guy like this turns into Mike Zunino and hits in the .250 range, sometimes he turns into Justin Smoak (well, Smoak before last season at least). I guess I'd overall be kind of leery of a slow player whose contact rating exceeds his avoid Ks rating because although slower, high-BABIP players do exist in OOTP (and probably at a higher rate than IRL) it's still a bit of a crapshoot as to whether or not they'll be able to sustain that as they get older.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Old 04-20-2018, 12:00 AM   #15
drowssap
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift View Post
I guess I'd overall be kind of leery of a slow player whose contact rating exceeds his avoid Ks rating.
Can you expand on this statement a bit please? I'm curious about a contract "rating".
Old 04-20-2018, 03:33 AM   #16
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Contact, not contract.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:27 PM   #17
drowssap
Minors (Double A)

Sorry. I read it wrong. I thought you had some cool inside info I could use to determine how much to pay someone.