Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:49 PM   #121
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by '94 EXPOS View Post
There is....unequivocally, I might add.....no way to dispute your passion for stats only! It's not 'stats maybe' or 'stats sometimes' it is stats f&*#^% ONLY
I played it once...and could never go back. It FEELS like being a GM.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:34 AM   #122
CHOWDERHEAD
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Great! Turn your scouting accuracy down at least one notch.
Sounds good, thanks for the insight. I will give it a try.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:01 PM   #123
the_Jewtalian
Bat Boy

For stats only leagues how do you guys draft? I understand using the scouting reports, but there are so many players to sort through. Do you sort by hitting/pitching statistics and view reports for the top 20 or so players and make a selection?

Also how do you handle minor league promotions? I currently use stats to make those decisions but only within the subset of players with enough potential for me to care (3+ stars). Do you leave those decisions with the AI?
the_Jewtalian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:02 PM   #124
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

You do the best you can. Just like a real GM.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:26 PM   #125
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_Jewtalian View Post
For stats only leagues how do you guys draft? I understand using the scouting reports, but there are so many players to sort through. Do you sort by hitting/pitching statistics and view reports for the top 20 or so players and make a selection?

Also how do you handle minor league promotions? I currently use stats to make those decisions but only within the subset of players with enough potential for me to care (3+ stars). Do you leave those decisions with the AI?

Put a blind fold on and randomly select players.
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:30 PM   #126
Ron.
Minors (Double A)

You prioritize guys with nicknames, obviously.
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:52 PM   #127
Spanish Lefty
Minors (Single A)

Right now, for me the most challenging way of playing is:

- Scouting report updates: season start and end. (forces you to request a scouting report if it's trading deadline, for instance)
- Scouting accuracy: very low (varies a lot for prospects, not so much for veterans)
- Player actual ratings: none (guide yourself with stats)
- Player potential ratings 2 to 8, although for youngsters is better to read the written scouting report)
- Other player ratings: 2 to 8
- Overall and potential rating: none displayed (makes a huge difference in difficulty)

-Injury frequency: high (realistic modern day)
-Batter and pitcher aging speed: .310 (I've tried many settings, this is the good one)
-Batter and pitcher dev speed: 1.300 (it adjusts to today's number of youngster in the show)
- Talent Randomness: 150

- Trading difficulty: very hard
- Preference: Heavily favor prospects
- AI Settings: 25 / 50 / 20 / 5

Just for fun, every year, when the World Series ends, I go to the financial tab under "league settings" and multiply every cell by x1.03 to x1.05. Sometimes x1.02... others I leave it the same. Because, you know, inflation I like to see how contracts are every year a bit higher, like in real life.

Anyway, the game still has a problem with the trading difficulty. If you know what you're doing, you can get a nº1 farm system and decent team in one year.

For example, my 2017 Athletics team has gome from 27th to 1st farm system and the team is:

SP: 1.- Sonny Gray (4.4 WAR in 2016), 2.- Jarred Cosart (5.4), 3.- Collin McHugh (3.7), 4.- Sean Manaea (Rookie), 5.- Jesse Hahn (1.1)

RP: Will Harris (0.9), Nick Burdi (Rookie), Justin Nicolino (0.3), Liam Hendricks (0.8), Justin Grimm (1.8), Keone Kela (1.6), Ken Giles (1.1)

Position players: Stephen Vogt (5.5), Andrew Susac (0.9 in late promotion), Brandon Belt (4.3), Rangel Ravelo (rookie), A.J. Reed (rookie), Joe Panik (5.6), Evan Longoria (6.1), Adeiny Hechavarria (1.7), Christian Adames (rookie), Preston Tucker (2.7 in 80 games), Abraham Almonte (1.5 in 60 games), Matt Den Dekker (1.2 in 200PA), George Springer (3.8)

There is no way a real GM could change the team this way.

There has to be a change to make the AI more real, with true untradeable players like Joe Panik or Springer in this case.
Spanish Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 01:38 PM   #128
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish Lefty View Post
Right now, for me the most challenging way of playing is:

- Scouting report updates: season start and end. (forces you to request a scouting report if it's trading deadline, for instance)
- Scouting accuracy: very low (varies a lot for prospects, not so much for veterans)
- Player actual ratings: none (guide yourself with stats)
- Player potential ratings 2 to 8, although for youngsters is better to read the written scouting report)
- Other player ratings: 2 to 8
- Overall and potential rating: none displayed (makes a huge difference in difficulty)

-Injury frequency: high (realistic modern day)
-Batter and pitcher aging speed: .310 (I've tried many settings, this is the good one)
-Batter and pitcher dev speed: 1.300 (it adjusts to today's number of youngster in the show)
- Talent Randomness: 150

- Trading difficulty: very hard
- Preference: Heavily favor prospects
- AI Settings: 25 / 50 / 20 / 5

Just for fun, every year, when the World Series ends, I go to the financial tab under "league settings" and multiply every cell by x1.03 to x1.05. Sometimes x1.02... others I leave it the same. Because, you know, inflation I like to see how contracts are every year a bit higher, like in real life.

Anyway, the game still has a problem with the trading difficulty. If you know what you're doing, you can get a nº1 farm system and decent team in one year.

For example, my 2017 Athletics team has gome from 27th to 1st farm system and the team is:

SP: 1.- Sonny Gray (4.4 WAR in 2016), 2.- Jarred Cosart (5.4), 3.- Collin McHugh (3.7), 4.- Sean Manaea (Rookie), 5.- Jesse Hahn (1.1)

RP: Will Harris (0.9), Nick Burdi (Rookie), Justin Nicolino (0.3), Liam Hendricks (0.8), Justin Grimm (1.8), Keone Kela (1.6), Ken Giles (1.1)

Position players: Stephen Vogt (5.5), Andrew Susac (0.9 in late promotion), Brandon Belt (4.3), Rangel Ravelo (rookie), A.J. Reed (rookie), Joe Panik (5.6), Evan Longoria (6.1), Adeiny Hechavarria (1.7), Christian Adames (rookie), Preston Tucker (2.7 in 80 games), Abraham Almonte (1.5 in 60 games), Matt Den Dekker (1.2 in 200PA), George Springer (3.8)

There is no way a real GM could change the team this way.

There has to be a change to make the AI more real, with true untradeable players like Joe Panik or Springer in this case.
Good post! I only question one setting...I don't think you need trading difficulty in very hard...I think you could go with average or hard with this AI
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 01:55 PM   #129
highandoutside
All Star Reserve

Thanks for the post Spanish Lefty. Would you mind explaining your ageing setting?
highandoutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 02:57 PM   #130
iBrandon
Minors (Triple A)

What's the best set up if I want to do stats only current MLB?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
iBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 03:24 PM   #131
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBrandon View Post
What's the best set up if I want to do stats only current MLB?

There is none. It doesn't work because you already have knowledge and expectations of the players.

Old 04-09-2016, 03:38 PM   #132
Ron.
Minors (Double A)

I don't know about changing player aging this year. I've changed it in the past because it was virtually impossible to get historic career numbers on default settings. Now it seems like hitters are much more consistent year-to-year. I've got 5 active players with more than 500 HR in 2030 and Rowdy Tellez has a legitimate chance to break the all time record.
Old 04-09-2016, 04:29 PM   #133
iBrandon
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
There is none. It doesn't work because you already have knowledge and expectations of the players.
I was thinking of simming 5-10 years down and I don't know nearly as much about MLB players as i do the NFL. I know the stars and some below, but my mlb knowledge is lacking a bit. . Thinking it might work for me.

iBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:31 PM   #134
Cod
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Isn't that a good way for new "Stats only" players to get started though? This method would allow you to ease into the new way of playing instead of going cold turkey. I know some people are all or none when it comes to stats, but I think a lot of people would benefit with an easier transition.
Cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:36 PM   #135
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I don't know about changing player aging this year. I've changed it in the past because it was virtually impossible to get historic career numbers on default settings. Now it seems like hitters are much more consistent year-to-year. I've got 5 active players with more than 500 HR in 2030 and Rowdy Tellez has a legitimate chance to break the all time record.

Yes...this is another one I disagree with...default looks good to me
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:59 PM   #136
Spanish Lefty
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
Good post! I only question one setting...I don't think you need trading difficulty in very hard...I think you could go with average or hard with this AI
I haven't tried average or hard yet in this version, but perhaps it doesn't differ that much. I tried very easy to make myself familiar with the changes and it was more or less the same as last year.

Anyway, as I said, with these settings and very hard, the trading AI has still to be better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highandoutside View Post
Thanks for the post Spanish Lefty. Would you mind explaining your ageing setting?
If you leave aging settings on default... Rookies will be about 24 and will go as low as 22. We can see that is not true nowadays, with players being promoted younger. With "1.300 development speed" you get a bunch with 22-23, a few with 21 and one 20-year player every now and then (Correa, Osuna, Rougned Odor, Bryce... types).

With "aging speed" you have to be much more aggresive. If you leave it with the default setting, David Ortiz and A-Rod are pieces of meat immediately. After running several 30-year simulations, .310 was the most fair approximation (always with high frequency injuries). You get many real situations:

- Average player, durable or iron man, getting to 38-40
- Average player, fragile or wrecked, getting to 32 years, then struggling through the minors with some ML appearances
- Future hall of famers when 30, struggling with injuries, retiring at 35 and not becoming HOFers.
- Very good players, durable or ironman getting to 42-43... (rare, but possible)
... etc.

In the same 30-year simulations, the player which retired the oldest was Trout with 44. Most of the players still retire at 36-38.

The game becomes more real. With the default setting and high injuries everybody retires at age 38-39 MAX and there are no +4 WAR players over 32-33 years.

Quote:
Which aging speed did you put? Anyway, having 5 active players over 500HR isn't that rare if the homerun factor which changes from year to year has been over 1.000. And there is nearly always someone in real life with that chance to break the all-time record. A-Rod has 687 HR with 40. Barry Bonds had 703... He probably won't break it, but still
Old 04-09-2016, 08:20 PM   #137
Ron.
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish Lefty View Post
Which aging speed did you put? Anyway, having 5 active players over 500HR isn't that rare if the homerun factor which changes from year to year has been over 1.000. And there is nearly always someone in real life with that chance to break the all-time record. A-Rod has 687 HR with 40. Barry Bonds had 703... He probably won't break it, but still
.900 batting aging and 1.100 pitching dev are the changes I've made. It's not so much the aging that has changed but the consistency, from what I've seen. In previous versions I would always prioritize defense because (outside of a handful of elite players) hitting was so fickle year to year.

Seems very different this year. Even middling players can be counted on to produce at their established level.

Anyway, here's Tellez. Rooting for him since I've never seen anyone break any significant record in hundreds of years of simming OOTP:
Attached Images

Last edited by Ron.; 04-09-2016 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:21 PM   #138
Spanish Lefty
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
.900 batting aging and 1.100 pitching dev are the changes I've made. It's not so much the aging that has changed but the consistency, from what I've seen. In previous versions I would always prioritize defense because (outside of a handful of elite players) hitting was so fickle year to year.

Seems very different this year. Even middling players can be counted on to produce at their established level.

Anyway, here's Tellez. Rooting for him since I've never seen anyone break any significant record in hundreds of years of simming OOTP:
Well, every run can be very different. Perhaps the HR factor is well above 1.000. Anyway Rowdy Tellez has had a weird behaviour in the last 2 versions: either he stays in AA or he finishes over 500HR Players with similar stats don't usually perform the same way.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:07 PM   #139
Spanish Lefty
Minors (Single A)

I just ran another simulation with .310 aging speed and 1.300 dev speed until 2027

Oldest players in ML (and probable similar players)

- 42: CL David Robertson (closing, Mariano Rivera) and RP Tony Watson (above average, LaTroy Hawkins)
- 41: Matt Carpenter (after a -0.3 war season, Ichiro)
- 40: SP Carlos Carrasco (after a 3.9 war season, Bartolo Colon), RP Adam Liberatore (Joe Nathan), 1B Buster Posey (0.6 war)
- 39: 1B Brandon Belt (3.1 war), CL Zach Britton (still closing), RP David Carpenter, RP Aroldis Chapman, RP Zac Rosscup
- 38: RP Madison Bumgarner, RP Patrick Corbin, C Yasmani Grandal, CF Starling Marte, RP Michael Pineda, SP Jose Quintana, 1B Anthony Rizzo, RP Chris Sale

38 or above - game: 19; real life 2015: 25
40 or above - game: 6; real life 2015: 7

It adjusts pretty well. Perhaps we could try a slower aging speed (.290). I tried once .250 and didn't work.

Youngest players in ML (all unknown, so I won't put names)

- 20: 1 ; real life 2015: 3 (Correa, Osuna and Castro)
- 21: 6 ; real life 2015: 14
- 22: 20; real life 2015: 56

So perhaps we have to increase the development speed, from 1.300 to 1.400 and see again

Active players with +500HR: Giancarlo Stanton (588 with 37yrs), +400HR: Joey Gallo (485 with 33 yrs), Mike Trout (466; 36 yrs), A.J.Reed (405; 34 yrs).

HR record breaking chance:
- Joey Gallo if he belts 40HR for 7 more seasons from 34 to 40
- Thomas Johns. 285 HR with 29. 43HR per season for 11 seasons until he's 40. But made 54HR/year last 3 seasons.

Last edited by Spanish Lefty; 04-09-2016 at 11:16 PM.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:35 PM   #140
Doc_Brown
All Star Starter

Some interesting stuff there Spanish Lefty. Always irked me a little when a guy got to early 30's and then fell off the cliff. Now I didn't want every guy playing on and being useful until they were 40+ but a few would be good.
Doc_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote