Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 Online Leagues

OOTP 19 Online Leagues Want to create or join an OOTP 19 online league? This is the right forum for you.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:51 AM   #1
WBTyler939
Minors (Single A)

Perfect Team is Killing Online Leagues

Ever since PT was released, not only have my online leagues been losing players, but we can't seem to recruit new ones either. I'm hearing the same thing from people in other online leagues, to the point that leagues are shutting down because they can't get new owners to join. I have to imagine this is because people are opting to play PT instead, since it's more or less an online league. I'm hoping that the release of OOTP20 will reignite interest in online leagues, but I'm not optimistic. Hopefully PT and online leagues will be able to co-exist.
WBTyler939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 02:42 PM   #2
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

PT makes money. Online leagues do not. Where do you think the vast majority of company resources will go?
Cooleyvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 04:37 PM   #3
daveyfire
Bat Boy

I only buy OOTP to play online leagues, and I'm sure I'm not alone. To say online leagues don't generate money for the company is simply wrong.
daveyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:29 PM   #4
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

Long before PT, however, online league quality took a big hit. 9 out of 10 leagues nowadays (maybe more) are MLB clones.

To me (and most older folks), these MLB clone leagues offer nothing in the way of excitement. Historic, Unique Concept Leagues, and Fictionals are almost a thing of the past and that's a BAD thing, IMO.

So couple PT, changing demographics of the game (younger), and very few leagues with any thought put into them have all contributed to the slide of online leagues for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyfire View Post
I only buy OOTP to play online leagues, and I'm sure I'm not alone. To say online leagues don't generate money for the company is simply wrong.
I buy it for the same reason, but you miss the point of my comment.

Last edited by Cooleyvol; 02-24-2019 at 07:30 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:53 PM   #5
strzepeksc
All Star Reserve

OOTP Online Leagues Now On Back-Burner

I feel the same way..........Perfect Team is now their moneymaker and OOTP Online League play takes a hit. Very disappointing/discouraging outlook!
strzepeksc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:02 PM   #6
stevem810
All Star Starter

Agree, P.T. will have an impact on 'on-line leagues'. There may be fewer on-line leagues because of the additional choices that are available, yet I'd be surprised if there was a major correction to the amount of leagues. My observation is that on-line leagues have struggled to fill open positions far before P.T.came on the scene.

I'm a long time fictional on-line league participant since OOTP13. My first few weeks of P.T. I wondered if my interest might wane a bit with on-line leagues because P.T. was so much fun.

After several weeks playing P.T. I realize that there is no way it can replace on-line leagues for me. They are different experiences requiring a different set of skills. If anything, I like and appreciate the on-line league even more, having played both. I have two P.T. teams now, but, will only have one when the next version is released.

The game company has simply expanded its offerings just as it has expanded the original games features. I don't think anyone really knows how P.T. will affect on-line leagues, solo play, etc., until more time has elapsed.

As far as the game company goes, it benefits their position to keep all facets of the game dynamic and vibrant. To date, they have presented excellent formats for the old (i.e. ver. 19) and the new (Perfect Team).
stevem810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 04:19 PM   #7
Bristolduke
All Star Starter

I see two problems the on-line leagues have to address. We may be able to do that ourselves, with a little help from the developers.

That is helping stir interest in the on-line world. Not with features at the moment, but maybe thru a repository. We all know the on-line community has been reducing. Leagues struggle. Part of it are related to the issues stated here, and others. If leagues are looking for players, then maybe we need to be aware of leagues folding or in trouble or just looking for players. An inventory (yes we had that in the past, based upon type.

For example, I run two leagues down from 3, neither of which are current year MLB leagues. One is in year 35 and one is finishing year 2. What might help is a place where players can go to find leagues, vice leagues advertising only. The other benefit might also be where leagues could combine, a little tricky but the overall health might be better if there were fewer partially filled leagues.

The second problem is versions. Leagues are reluctant to move to a current version because of the lack of stability, at least for a few months. This was even worse this year with 19 where files were suddenly not compatible.

Those wanting current league on-line setups will always go for the current release, but if we could improve our advertising of old version leagues, and or if there was a way to maintain a file compatibility (even with a limitation of functionality), then maybe the drain on players would not be so bad.

Just some thoughts because the third problem is not solvable. Aging players. I have enjoyed playing with various friends for almost 20 years. I am now retired and I know others are as well. We need a way to pass the torch a bit.
Commish of the On-Line Dynasty League
SIMBL2 - Westbury Cannons
Great Lakes Baseball - Toledo Neptunes
World Baseball - Guantanamo Marines
OMLB - Cincinnati Reds
Bristolduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:06 PM   #8
Nersha
Minors (Double A)

Last edited by Nersha; 08-19-2022 at 07:23 PM. Reason: .
Nersha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:17 PM   #9
mavericktango
Major Leagues

I think a lot of online leagues were struggling to fill open slots some time before Perfect Team, the pool of people wanting to play in online leagues has been dying for a few editions now Perfect team has just exasperated it . We have a section right here on the forum to advertise vacancies in online leagues .... it's called Online leagues
Old 02-25-2019, 08:15 PM   #10
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristolduke View Post
I see two problems the on-line leagues have to address. We may be able to do that ourselves, with a little help from the developers.

That is helping stir interest in the on-line world. Not with features at the moment, but maybe thru a repository. We all know the on-line community has been reducing. Leagues struggle. Part of it are related to the issues stated here, and others. If leagues are looking for players, then maybe we need to be aware of leagues folding or in trouble or just looking for players. An inventory (yes we had that in the past, based upon type.

For example, I run two leagues down from 3, neither of which are current year MLB leagues. One is in year 35 and one is finishing year 2. What might help is a place where players can go to find leagues, vice leagues advertising only. The other benefit might also be where leagues could combine, a little tricky but the overall health might be better if there were fewer partially filled leagues.

The second problem is versions. Leagues are reluctant to move to a current version because of the lack of stability, at least for a few months. This was even worse this year with 19 where files were suddenly not compatible.

Those wanting current league on-line setups will always go for the current release, but if we could improve our advertising of old version leagues, and or if there was a way to maintain a file compatibility (even with a limitation of functionality), then maybe the drain on players would not be so bad.

Just some thoughts because the third problem is not solvable. Aging players. I have enjoyed playing with various friends for almost 20 years. I am now retired and I know others are as well. We need a way to pass the torch a bit.
I agree with the league repository or website listing active leagues and their format/version/description.

I would donate the space/url for such a website, BUT, the game would need to give us a link on the opening screen of the game. That's vital to giving everyone a quick and easy way to the league vault.

Markus/Andreas, could we get such a link on the opening screen? The online league portion of your software is slowing fading away.