Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-25-2019, 05:31 PM   #21
tward13
All Star Starter

I'm in two online leagues that are going strong. So well that the commish is working on starting a 3rd league.

There's been some discussion on our slack site about PT, but not much. It's really a very different thing to online.
tward13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 02:40 AM   #22
torpidbeaver
Major Leagues

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Care to share any facts on these statements? I often hear these, but where is the proof? I mean, look at FIFA, NBA 2KX, MLB the Show, they all still improve their core game, despite their card collecting modes.
MLBtS is not the best example.

In MLBtS and to a lesser extent, NBA2K (probably FIFA too but I havenÂ’t touched it for years) the franchise modes that IÂ’m guessing the majority of the hardcore sim-minded gamers loved... didnÂ’t exactly flourish with the additional money that came pouring in. IÂ’d argue that they are languishing and being ignored, especially in comparison to the time and money put into the MTX modes. Case in point, MLBTS had only two developers working on the Franchise Mode for 2018, while this yearÂ’s franchise iteration didnÂ’t even get its own bulletpoint in the initial press release announcing the game - the majority of those were taken by Diamond Dynasty, RTTS, and Online improvements. Hell, they cut out online franchise last year and shrugged at it this year.

ItÂ’s not that the very core-est parts of the game havenÂ’t improved - the pitcher vs batter play is great, defense looks to be much improved this year - but that the parts that were a core part of the game just three years ago and beloved by many have become consigned to the dustbin.

Worse, though, is that the core gameplay tweaks and changes are being driven by what the MTX players want. In MLBtS itÂ’s the rocket bunts to fight online Cheesers, in NBA itÂ’s a lack of fouls and unrealistic 3-point rates.

Plus, I can recall the devs getting on the OS forums at the start of the DD implementation to reassure their fans, how theyÂ’d never abandon their core simheads, etc etc etc. At this point, improvements made to any part of the game that doesnÂ’t make them that sweet MTX money is completely incidental.

I’m in the “cautiously optimistic” camp, myself, but given the research I’m sure you guys did and the increasing backlash to MTX modes, I think everyone at OOTP has to understand why some people (current or former console gamers, foremost, I’d wager) are very nervous about this happening yet again to a great game.

Because it never happens all at once; itÂ’s always sad death by degrees.

Should also say though that those are different kinds of games made by different types of companies, of course, and I tend to trust stuff Markus says a hell of a lot more than I do PR flaks.

Last edited by torpidbeaver; 02-27-2019 at 02:44 AM.
torpidbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:11 AM   #23
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
And keep in mind that these are bad examples, as they are publicly traded companies which have to make the stockholders happy. Does not apply to us. Here all that matters is that I am happy and my employees are happy. And we are only happy when our customers are happy (and we can pay our bills and feed our families, obviously).
This is the answer to all that are so worried about where OOTP is heading.

Marks only has to answer to Markus, what he says and what he wants is all that matters I've been around here since 2002 and from then 'til now Markus' vision of making the world's best baseball game has never wavered.
Sweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:46 PM   #24
eldur00
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpidbeaver View Post
MLBtS is not the best example.

In MLBtS and to a lesser extent, NBA2K (probably FIFA too but I havenÂ’t touched it for years) the franchise modes that IÂ’m guessing the majority of the hardcore sim-minded gamers loved... didnÂ’t exactly flourish with the additional money that came pouring in. IÂ’d argue that they are languishing and being ignored, especially in comparison to the time and money put into the MTX modes. Case in point, MLBTS had only two developers working on the Franchise Mode for 2018, while this yearÂ’s franchise iteration didnÂ’t even get its own bulletpoint in the initial press release announcing the game - the majority of those were taken by Diamond Dynasty, RTTS, and Online improvements. Hell, they cut out online franchise last year and shrugged at it this year.

ItÂ’s not that the very core-est parts of the game havenÂ’t improved - the pitcher vs batter play is great, defense looks to be much improved this year - but that the parts that were a core part of the game just three years ago and beloved by many have become consigned to the dustbin.

Worse, though, is that the core gameplay tweaks and changes are being driven by what the MTX players want. In MLBtS itÂ’s the rocket bunts to fight online Cheesers, in NBA itÂ’s a lack of fouls and unrealistic 3-point rates.

Plus, I can recall the devs getting on the OS forums at the start of the DD implementation to reassure their fans, how theyÂ’d never abandon their core simheads, etc etc etc. At this point, improvements made to any part of the game that doesnÂ’t make them that sweet MTX money is completely incidental.

I’m in the “cautiously optimistic” camp, myself, but given the research I’m sure you guys did and the increasing backlash to MTX modes, I think everyone at OOTP has to understand why some people (current or former console gamers, foremost, I’d wager) are very nervous about this happening yet again to a great game.

Because it never happens all at once; itÂ’s always sad death by degrees.

Should also say though that those are different kinds of games made by different types of companies, of course, and I tend to trust stuff Markus says a hell of a lot more than I do PR flaks.

You can add the NHL title to the list. This year they messed up the penalties to cater to HUT players so bad I had to change my penalties sliders in my Franchise to 3 out of 100 and lower tripping and slashing to 2 out of 100 each, and even then playing 8 minutes periods each team would take 6 slashing penalties per game it was unplayable...but hey, HUT players got to have some fun.

And don't get me started on titles that are not sports titles. I know it's pretty much outside of what OOTP does or has to really worry about, but there are many sad sad examples in the MMO genre...heck, there's even a title that is crowdsourcing and doesn't have much of anything out and they are bleeding customers out through a cash shop for titles and upgrades that will be available to them...when (if) the game releases. Yes, completely different situation than what we are seeing here, but that's another example of promising to put the money back in the game and it's not happening.

Of course there are games that put the money back in the game as well, Path of Exile is a good example, there are numerous expansions and new seasons coming out and they are constantly trying new things.
eldur00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 01:27 PM   #25
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Also, sim Madden players are loving the gameplay changes so much that they stopped playing altogether because the game is so broken and the gameplay is catered to the MUT/12 year old crowd/casual player that the sim crowd is forgotten about. The biggest addition to the franchise mode last year was a sortable draft board and this year the biggest addition was a worse progression system and a slide show of the coach in his office.

NHL same thing, the gameplay is so broken this year with the penalties as mentioned above. Havent played NBA in a couple years but people are complaining about how pay to win that game is becoming. The Show doesnt even seem to care about franchise mode anymore, which is why I havent played it in years. FIFA is the worst culprit. The Manager Mode hasnt seen any meaningful changes in over a half decade.

It's sad that the franchise modes are dying on the mainstream games but we are lucky to still have OOTP

Last edited by wallewalls; 02-27-2019 at 01:29 PM.
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 01:48 PM   #26
The Game
Hall Of Famer

I like how easy it is to play PT but part of me wishes it was closer to actual baseball or online leagues. Fa, injuries, trades, etc. I realize how they dont do these but it would be nice at some point. My problem with leagues is most owners act like they are god and trading is near impossible when you are a small market team. i also dont want the only team available in the Tampa Rays after the former owner gutted the team before he left. I also despise the sim schedule of most online leagues.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 03:23 PM   #27
Dark Horse
Hall Of Famer

Perfect Team is too different from online league play. It cannot replace it. i play in fictional leagues. Maybe it is different in Modern or Historical leagues?

A Justafan Fan

LBA Geo Bahn Rock Hounds

fan of the ISLANDIAN PRO ALLIANCE
Dark Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:09 PM   #28
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Perfect Team doesn't seem to be killing the four online leagues that I play, most guys in one league play Perfect Team but the hasn't detracted from the league.
JaBurns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:20 PM   #29
cookieeater45
Bat Boy

I'd like to argue, at least for me, playing Perfect Team has kind of opened my eyes and made me consider joining an actual Online League. It's just a matter now of waiting until I think I can commit to it and then choosing one to join.
cookieeater45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:47 PM   #30
SeanBerry
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieeater45 View Post
I'd like to argue, at least for me, playing Perfect Team has kind of opened my eyes and made me consider joining an actual Online League. It's just a matter now of waiting until I think I can commit to it and then choosing one to join.
I'm with you. I'd love to join the right online league but never really considered it before PT.
SeanBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:50 PM   #31
UltimateAverageGuy
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBTyler939 View Post
Ever since PT was released, not only have my online leagues been losing players, but we can't seem to recruit new ones either. I'm hearing the same thing from people in other online leagues, to the point that leagues are shutting down because they can't get new owners to join. I have to imagine this is because people are opting to play PT instead, since it's more or less an online league. I'm hoping that the release of OOTP20 will reignite interest in online leagues, but I'm not optimistic. Hopefully PT and online leagues will be able to co-exist.

LMAO

Good Lord
UltimateAverageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:49 PM   #32
rar
Bat Boy

I have been interested in joining an online league, but with OTTP 20 coming out soon- I figured I would wait for that release. If you have openings I would be interested.
rar is offline   Reply With Quote