Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:11 PM   #1
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

My Current Random Debut League

Currently in 1947, year 2 of my RDL. Using a small 12 team, 1 subleague setup. Started this league with no divisions. League plays a 154 game schedule. The top 3 teams make the post season. 2nd and 3rd place finishers meet in a best of 3 series(all 3 games played at 2nd place teams park). 1st place team receives a bye. Winner of the wildcard series, then meets 1st place team in best of 9 championship series.

The 1946 champions were the Chattanooga Lookouts. The Lookouts defeated the Charleston Riverdogs(Charleston defeated Montgomery 2-1) 5 games to 3.

As you can see the 1947 Chattanooga Lookouts are not going to repeat. In fact, if it wasn't for the dreadful Corpus Christi Hooks, they would be in the cellar. Charleston is sitting middle of the pact at 48-48. Montgomery on the otherhand is right in the thick of things at 54-44 2 1/2 out of first and 1 1/2 out of the 2nd wildcard slot. Name:  southern_league_1947-07-30_17-50-35.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  398.8 KB
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:44 PM   #2
Beirnej1
Minors (Double A)

Hope its ok if I ask a question - Are you using 1947 as the stats output or the 80's?
Beirnej1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:54 PM   #3
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beirnej1 View Post
Hope its ok if I ask a question - Are you using 1947 as the stats output or the 80's?
I using the year I'm playing, so last year 46, this year 47, next year 48 etc. If I make it to the 80's I will probably lock things down somewhere around 84. Have little interest to play the 90's or early 2000's. Bullpens are still tolerable in the mid 80's

Last edited by David Watts; 04-21-2017 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:21 AM   #4
henry296
All Star Reserve

I tired something similar. I started with 1921 and then randomized the names and nicknames. When running auto play the real team came back. What did I do wrong?
henry296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 02:51 AM   #5
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
I tired something similar. I started with 1921 and then randomized the names and nicknames. When running auto play the real team came back. What did I do wrong?
Sounds like you left the box for historical expansion checked. If so, the game will revert to historical reality during the first offseason.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:47 AM   #6
henry296
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Sounds like you left the box for historical expansion checked. If so, the game will revert to historical reality during the first offseason.
Yes that is it.
henry296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:59 AM   #7
crawdad5000
Major Leagues

I read in a post somewhere (can't find it) that you can't use the historical minors in a Random Debut League? Therefore the negro league players can't be part of a RDL?
crawdad5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:13 AM   #8
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad5000 View Post
I read in a post somewhere (can't find it) that you can't use the historical minors in a Random Debut League? Therefore the negro league players can't be part of a RDL?
You can import them from the minor league database, you just can't use the full minor league setup with all the minor leagues and the Negro Leagues.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:24 AM   #9
crawdad5000
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
You can import them from the minor league database, you just can't use the full minor league setup with all the minor leagues and the Negro Leagues.
That's what I thought. I was hoping to import them automatically in a Random environment but I guess I'll have to pick years I want certain players to enter the draft and then individually import them. Right? Sort of spoils the surprise of Random Debuts for those players. Thanks actionjackson for the response.

I just thought of this. I was told that you can't import from the MILB database without the minors turned on?

Last edited by crawdad5000; 04-27-2017 at 11:26 AM.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:07 PM   #10
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's what I thought. I was hoping to import them automatically in a Random environment but I guess I'll have to pick years I want certain players to enter the draft and then individually import them. Right? Sort of spoils the surprise of Random Debuts for those players. Thanks actionjackson for the response.

I just thought of this. I was told that you can't import from the MILB database without the minors turned on?
Yes you can import from the MiLB database without minors turned on. See attached image. See that box below Enter Player ID and Enter Season Year? It says "Include players in minor league database". Check it. BOOM! Minor leaguers without full minor league setup.
Attached Images
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 01:15 PM   #11
crawdad5000
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
Yes you can import from the MiLB database without minors turned on. See attached image. See that box below Enter Player ID and Enter Season Year? It says "Include players in minor league database". Check it. BOOM! Minor leaguers without full minor league setup.
Sounds good. I have the list of when all the Negro League players actually started playing pro ball so I'll use that to augment the random debut players,
including the minor leaguers who didn't make the majors.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:04 PM   #12
Coltrane
Minors (Triple A)

David - Do you manage any of the teams in this league or do you just watch it play out?
Coltrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:36 PM   #13
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltrane View Post
David - Do you manage any of the teams in this league or do you just watch it play out?
Ugh! This league bit the dust. I'm thinking because I did a re-install of the game, due to problems when I got a little crazy trying to download historical facegens. Finished a season and had players showing up in the draft mid career and later. For example, Willie Stargell coming in at 39.

But, I have another going. I don't manage or gm much anymore. Just like to sit back and watch a game per schedule day. Sometimes I watch games by series or just pick the most intriguing matchup of the day.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:52 AM   #14
crawdad5000
Major Leagues

Quote:
I don't manage or gm much anymore. Just like to sit back and watch a game per schedule day. Sometimes I watch games by series or just pick the most intriguing matchup of the day.
Yeah, I'm the same way. I like playing historical and random but I found out I don't have the discipline to keep from grabbing those players that I know blossom in to superstars IRL. So my teams start out slow but end up dominating the league eventually. Now I'm just running universes where I do what you do. Watch mostly, and zoom in on the best matches, including playoff races and the best world series.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:51 AM   #15
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, I'm the same way. I like playing historical and random but I found out I don't have the discipline to keep from grabbing those players that I know blossom in to superstars IRL. So my teams start out slow but end up dominating the league eventually. Now I'm just running universes where I do what you do. Watch mostly, and zoom in on the best matches, including playoff races and the best world series.
It's a fun way to play, especially if you let a league play long enough to see players start making the Hall of Fame. Watching which teams become the great ones, which teams the bottom feeders and those that get close over and over, but just can't grab the prize is a blast.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:50 AM   #16
crawdad5000
Major Leagues

Quote:
It's a fun way to play, especially if you let a league play long enough to see players start making the Hall of Fame. Watching which teams become the great ones, which teams the bottom feeders and those that get close over and over, but just can't grab the prize is a blast.
I play all the all-star games too. I like to see the players who made it out on the field battling each other every year.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:33 AM   #17
Coltrane
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
I using the year I'm playing, so last year 46, this year 47, next year 48 etc. If I make it to the 80's I will probably lock things down somewhere around 84. Have little interest to play the 90's or early 2000's. Bullpens are still tolerable in the mid 80's
Here's a question that I've been wondering about for awhile but never asked (probably because I've never actually made it to 2017 in a historical league).
Lets say you start a league in 1994 with stat output set to auto evolve. What the heck happens once you reach the current year? Do the stats stay put in 2017 forever? Does the game just randomly make up its own stat output eras? Am I making any sense?
Coltrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 07:42 PM   #18
Danbo80
Minors (Single A)

A question to you experts out there. I'm playing my first random debut, and
disabled the draft to have rookies show up as free agents. But there's a problem.

They show up but there's nothing random about it. The players just come in order of the year they debuted. I started my league in 1946. Then as 1947 roles around the free agents are the 1947 rookies, then 48 rookies and 49 and so forth.

I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out how to get random debuts going foward.
Danbo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:27 PM   #19
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo80 View Post
A question to you experts out there. I'm playing my first random debut, and
disabled the draft to have rookies show up as free agents. But there's a problem.

They show up but there's nothing random about it. The players just come in order of the year they debuted. I started my league in 1946. Then as 1947 roles around the free agents are the 1947 rookies, then 48 rookies and 49 and so forth.

I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out how to get random debuts going foward.
Was your inaugural draft in 1946 random debut players?
Old 05-13-2017, 09:36 PM   #20
Danbo80
Minors (Single A)

Yes it was
Danbo80 is offline   Reply With Quote