Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss Out of the Park Developments' games, web site, downloads, research and anything else related to OOTP Developments.

Old 07-14-2016, 05:13 AM   #1
raginhood
Minors (Double A)

What baseball games did you play as a kid?

I remember my first baseball game was by Negamco, japanese made I believe and while it had all the players stats they couldn't use any names but they could put lines for each letter of their names and you could use Street and Smiths rosters to fill in the blanks.

Later after my brother left home I got his coleco spinner baseball game that used these funny looking round discs that had basically lines wide or small all around the disc that were the players abilities. Like Babe Ruth had a wide margin between two lines for his HR ability.

In-between those I had several electronic baseball games where you had to time the red light coming down the pitchers path to get a hit. Not much of a stat based game as it was an arcade game but were still fun.

Then as I got older I had my eyes on APBA and STRAT-O-MATIC baseball. I wanted stratomatic so bad but it was just too expensive for my age. (my mom said). So, I got APBA and found a way to buy the card set for that year. Loved how all the teams came in their own individual small envelopes the size of the cards. Even got the minor league sets. Man when I got that one I was in hog heaven. I was even a sports writer for a mail in league I joined. I still remember the name of the little paper called "Brovers Bunts". Wow that's been a long time ago. Everyone would send me their box scores and I'd write some silly articles about those games.

Later years saw BLM baseball over StratOMatic once again. To this day I've yet to have a Stratomatic game. Once I joined the service, got out got married most of the baseball gaming years were behind me. Till the computer age and a divorce. ) Microleague baseball became my favorite then and I actually used it to make bets in Las Vegas when certain pitchers faced each other. It actually made me some money, felt like I was in some Twilight Zone episode or Night Gallery with a commodore 64 that could tell me the future. lol

Then Front Page Sports Baseball came along and that has been my very favorite to this day but won't work on modern day computers or at least not mine.

Then came OOTPBB and of course you know the rest of the history. While it's a great stat based game there's just something missing from those old days. I guess maybe it is the touching of the cards and rolling the die and looking up the plays on those charts.

If only someone would do a Front Page Sports Baseball modern day. I think I would goto that. I liked the way they had real stadium views and audiences screamin "You ain't Nutin". lol

What did you grow up on?
raginhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:59 PM   #2
canaveral
Minors (Double A)

Negamco was first and even accompanied me on a family trip to Alaska in 1969. They were based in Duluth, MN under the name Nemadji Co. I had moved on by the time they were forced to drop real player names from their ratings as the MLB Player's Assoc. requested payment for using their names. Same thing with BLM (Big League Manager), which I ventured into briefly as a much more detailed and enjoyable game. I also liked their All Sports Digest, a monthly or so newspaper review of gaming and I even wrote a few articles for them.

Statis-Pro was next as a compromise between the simplistic Negamco and well-detailed BLM. Waiting for the cards and ratings to arrive was a real highlight of each late winter, though I did do some BLM ratings myself once they published how in their latter years of business.

Computer games began in earnest with Diamond Mind, but was quickly followed by OOTP. Man, have I ever simmed a lot of seasons so far - dozens and dozens from mostly the '80s to present. Very satisfying to say the least.
canaveral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 02:45 PM   #3
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Intellivision baseball, and electric baseball
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:20 PM   #4
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

Pursue the Pennant, followed by Pursue the Pennant PC version, which evolved into Diamond Mind. An occasional flirtation with Earl Weaver Baseball before that.

But OOTP is what I always hoped Diamond Mind would be. It's literally the game I always hoped for, in terms of what you can do with it. I guess that's why I'm so protective of it.

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb
BigRed75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:36 PM   #5
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I am younger than some here. My very original memory was a game for Commodore 64 that was black and green and if you turned a double play with two outs fast enough the game would record 4 outs.
I cannot remember the baseball game and it was super basic.

I remember the original RBI baseball for the NES and I remember the first one to keep stats because it had a battery backup. Cant remember which version that was.

The first actually good baseball game I played was the original Ken Griffey Jr Presents Major League Baseball for SNES.
Jr was the only player with his real name since the game had the MLB but not MPBPA license.
I would play the hell out of that game and me and my cousin would also play a lot of it.
This was pre internet days so we would never edit the rosters with real names. Nintendo always had themed all of the teams and the name sets were funny.
And this was around 1995 and baseball was not well known in Germany so we had fun playing with players we knew nothing about.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:46 PM   #6
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

Well, I've played almost every decent baseball game I could get my hands on at some point or another. The first game I loved was the Cadeco All-Star Baseball board game with the spinners, still have my original game from the early 80s. I really wore out Tony LaRussa Baseball; played through several seasons, one game at a time, 1000s of games. Played a lot of High Heat Baseball as well for several years. Oddly, I don't play much arcade genre baseball anymore, maybe I aged out of them, but I do find them fun still on occasions.

Certainly, I played a little Strat-o-matic and DMB and FPS Baseball and other games as well. But those were ones I liked the most.

Last edited by TribeFanInNC; 07-15-2016 at 03:49 PM.
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:03 PM   #7
jholland57
Bat Boy

The first game I played was Statis Pro. Then I moved to computer games and played DMB and FPS. I loved all of those games. Now I can't believe I was satisfied with them when I play OOTP.
jholland57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:18 PM   #8
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

I'm a bit older than many of you. I played real baseball, in a real field with a real leather glove, when I was a kid.

My church had several teams, and I played for one of them. We had cool looking caps and T-shirts. I played left field, and I don't think I ever got a base hit.

I was pretty bad, but I had a lot of fun!
Cultural icons, gone but not forgotten: David Bowie, Lou Reed, William S. Burroughs, Tristan Tzara, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsburg, Jimi Hendrix, John Cage, Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls), Mike Hudson (The Pagans), Joey Ramone (Ramones), Stiv Bators (Dead Boys), Tomata Du Plenty (The Screamers), Joe Strummer (The Clash), Lester Bangs
Antonin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:20 PM   #9
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonin View Post
I'm a bit older than many of you. I played real baseball, in a real field with a real leather glove, when I was a kid.
Wha?!?!?
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:31 PM   #10
ihatenames
Hall Of Famer

Earl weaver, front page sports, and then high heat baseball. It was on the forums of high heat that I found Ootp.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:22 PM   #11
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

In Order:

Atari2600 Baseball
Matell Handheld Baseball
Hardball on Commodore
Bases Loaded on NES
Hardball 4-6 on PC
OOTP
Old 08-08-2016, 02:15 PM   #12
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

Bases Loaded and RBI Baseball II for Nintendo. World Series Baseball and Tony Larussa Baseball for Sega. I still play my MLB 11 the Show for PS2 from time to time.
ForeverRoyalKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 02:22 PM   #13
Rayzor
All Star Starter

I played baseball...outside.
Rayzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 02:26 PM   #14
Rayzor
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonin View Post
WOW...real field & real gloves......we use are bare hands to catch the ball, use a big stick from a tree, use rocks are bases, & played in a cow pasture (watch your step)
Rayzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:23 PM   #15
rjl518
Hall Of Famer

lets see...

strat-o-matic
statis pro baseball
pursue the pennant
baseball card game
hardball comm 64
sega world series baseball
rbi baseball
high heat baseball
ea triple play/mvp baseball
the show
OOTP

quite a list

"Colon looking for his 1st hit of the year and he DRIVES ONE! Deep left field! Back goes Upton! Back near the wall! ITS OUTTA HERE!!! Bartolo has done it!!! THE IMPOSSIBLE HAS HAPPENED!!! This is one of the great moments in the history of baseball! Bartolo Colon has gone deep!" ---Gary Cohen. (May 7, 2016) (Petco Park) NYM 6 @ SD 3
rjl518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:56 PM   #16
molarmite
Hall Of Famer

APBA was my first real game that I played. I remember being around age 10 or so and loving the game so much and being on a real life baseball team that I loved so I made APBA cards for my little league team that were ultra realistic based on the actual cards. I knew what each dice roll would typically roll for every type of player. I kind of miss that now!

"Now all you need is a signature. A quote or initial, perhaps."

[
molarmite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:18 PM   #17
rcperinka
Bat Boy

Indoor computer game was Micro League on the Commodore 64.

There was a card and dice game. Came with baseball cards, you rolled the dice and match up what the dice said to the back of the card.

and of course, if it was nice out, grab a glove and head to the ball field or stick ball
rcperinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:47 PM   #18
Vermin360
Major Leagues

The first one I remember spending significant time with was a game shaped like a big blue plastic ballpark with a yellow chute in the outfield down which you rolled a big white baseball the size of a large marble. The other player spun a knob that swung the bat and you scored a hit based on where the ball rolled up the wall and out of the park (unless of course the pitcher caught the marble). Can't remember the name, but the closest I've seen to it online is something called Ballpark Classics.

Moving into the videogame spectrum, Intellivision Major League Baseball was my first. I dabbled with a number of early computer games like Hardball and Earl Weaver baseball then probably every NES and SNES variant. I think my favourite was Bases Loaded.

Tony La Russa Baseball II was a significant one for me. I grabbed all the expansion packs and even hosted a simulation fantasy league where several friends drafted players and we let the engine play out the games. Tony La Russa III was another fine game, but it wasn't long before I moved out of the PC world and back to consoles. MVP Baseball '05 was probably the one in which I spent the most time - three seasons played, every game at the major, AAA, AA, and single-A level.

I dabbled in the 2K series on Xbox 360 since that was all we had after that, and for all the flack it got I thought it was still pretty solid. I loved the pitching system. Now I'm full on OOTP since first diving in with 16 and though I thought I would miss the graphics and hands-on action, the management side of things has become quite compelling.

Manager, Chicago Cubs, 2015-2019
Manager, Oklahoma City Dodgers, 2016-2018
GM, Philadelphia Athletics, 1871-1872
GM, Detroit Red Wings, 1993-1994

Vermin360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:36 PM   #19
Coxmeatsandwich
Minors (Triple A)

Ken Griffey's Major League Baseball for the Nintendo 64 was one of my childhood favorites, as well as SNK Baseball Stars for the NES, and MVP Baseball 2003. Later on in life I became obsessed with MLB Power Pros 2008 but I was probably 16 or 17 by the time I started playing it. Now I choose to spend my life playing OOTP and I have no regrets.
Coxmeatsandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:58 PM   #20
edm
All Star Starter

My first memories of playing video baseball is probably Intellivision baseball. Me and some friends would go to Sears and hang out in the electrics department all day, just to play the display unit, until I was able to convince my parents to get me an one for Christmas

Then played a lot of RBI baseball for the NES. Played this game 24/7 for two summers straight.

Other console games I played include
- Super Action Baseball for Colecovision. Super action controllers!!! lol
- Bases loaded for NES
- Super Baseball 2020 Genesis
- Triple play series psx
- MLB featuring KEN GRIFFEY N64
- All Star baseball 99 N64

As for PC games

Earl Weaver baseball II was my first pc bb game (this was when I started playing one pitch mode, drafting, simming, etc).
Hardball III
Tony La Russa I and II
High Heat series (hh2000 - hh2004) when I discovered ootp2!
edm is offline   Reply With Quote