Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 16 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2015 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 01-20-2016, 10:38 AM   #1
jlech1805
Minors (Single A)

1 Year Max Contracts

I seem to always have the advantage relative to the AI on the financial side even with small budget teams. One way I thought of increasing the challenge was limiting free agent contracts to 1 year. Now injuries or decline in performance won't kill the AI controlled budgets.

Has anyone tried this?

In terms of consequences to the league:

1) Veterans might be under-rated as there is basically no long term financial risk in acquisition. - Might be even more true for pitching.
2) The FA pool will eventually be very large. I would guess there will be tons of pre-season bargains.
3) With a higher percentage of the talent pool available to teams not only will there be more player movement, but more balance in the league. Teams could more easily buy their way into relevance.

Any Others?
jlech1805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 12:40 PM   #2
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

I tried a 3-year limit with good success. I would be concerned about the AI's ability to plan a good roster if it had to re-tool and/or re-negotiate every spot every year.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 02:59 PM   #3
jlech1805
Minors (Single A)

Thanks for the reply.

Just to be clear players will still have to go through arbitration so each and every spot won't be open, but still i get your point. I'll play through this version to see if anything weird happens, but I am liking the 3 year limit as well.
Old 01-20-2016, 03:06 PM   #4
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Many players will be automatically renewed too, so it might not be as big a deal as I think.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 03:45 PM   #5
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

that's a sound idea.

even if you don't do 1 year... a little trial and error of variations and it seems like it could definitely help the AI in that regard, or at least minimize mistakes.

how would you evaluate? # of bad contracts you see in the top 20/50/100 players? how can you compare to normal setting to see the differences it caused and to what extent etc...

i've found with a cash limit, i don't get a ton bad contracts, though. i do see a few in the top-20/25 salaries on the financial report page. i kinda like repercussions for poor financial decisions, though. more lifelike from my perspective. i still would like to know about results if you test any of this out.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:23 AM   #6
jlech1805
Minors (Single A)

Good point on how would you measure the effectiveness of this.

My guess is you would measure it on number of unique teams who made the playoffs over a certain time frame.

There was an article a month or so back about the impact of a bad contract on a team. Imagine a player is getting paid $20M a year and is under-performing as a 2 Win player. If WAR is ~7M on the open market the team is really on losing $6M in value or less than 1 win over the course of a season. Even during a 5 year contract that is not a significant loss. So maybe I am over thinking the impact of large contracts, but still will be an interesting test.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:00 PM   #7
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

not at all... unless you have the yankees-type budget, just 1 bad contract can hamstring you for its duration.

i wouldn't base it on playoff success or making it... that adds luck into the equation.

get a baseline figure of how many "bad" contracts you see with default settings as a rate. you'll need multiple years to get a solid idea of the %.

start from the same backup and make changes to contract lenghts. sim out until no one has a longer contract. start getting rate of bad contracts per year and average it out just as above.

as i think about it more, you might see greater spread between the haves and havenots. every year they get to pick through the most expensive players and those organizations that cannot enter the bidding war will never get the better players (or very rarely).

i guess keeping club control for the first 6years, or whatever, is still going to help them a bit, but free agents will be more common and deeper every year. that is something that does not help the poorer teams as much as the richer teams.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote