Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 16 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2015 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 09-07-2015, 11:03 AM   #1
mking55
All Star Starter

"The overall fan interest almost crashed"

Let me see. This player who I cut at the end of the season had been in the minors all season long. He was signed as a free agent to a 1-year contract for the purpose of sitting in the minors in case he was needed. He was never needed.

How can the fan interest crash over a player who never played that year in the majors?

I would like to see some of the messages fixed in the future to more accurately reflect the state of the league I'm playing. There are other examples but this one seems to get my goat more than the others. And when you only have one goat, you hate for anyone else to get that goat.
mking55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:40 AM   #2
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

The fan interest crashed because the player was popular.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 12:01 PM   #3
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
The fan interest crashed because the player was popular.
There's an addition I have to make.

Why was the player (who never played in the majors all season long) popular?

-> Because people are stupid.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 12:18 PM   #4
cmaug
Major Leagues

It sounds like when an NFL team cuts Tebow...
cmaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 01:41 PM   #5
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mking55 View Post
Let me see. This player who I cut at the end of the season had been in the minors all season long. He was signed as a free agent to a 1-year contract for the purpose of sitting in the minors in case he was needed. He was never needed.

How can the fan interest crash over a player who never played that year in the majors?

I would like to see some of the messages fixed in the future to more accurately reflect the state of the league I'm playing. There are other examples but this one seems to get my goat more than the others. And when you only have one goat, you hate for anyone else to get that goat.
Hang on to your goat!

I look at this two ways: 1) Usually, this message is vastly overstated and the fan interest has gone down some, but not "crashed." 2) Fans can hold an outlier as popular for a number of (mind-constructed) reasons: He was a popular college player. He is the son of a former president. In addition to being good at baseball, he also won American Idol one season. Etc.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 03:18 PM   #6
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

We see this all the time this day and age. People were even interested in the CFL.
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 04:34 PM   #7
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMichaelJordan View Post
We see this all the time this day and age. People were even interested in the CFL.
I have never seen a fan base get riled up over the releasing of a guy in the minors who didn't play in the MLB that year. Do you have any examples to support your statement?
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 05:25 PM   #8
ihatenames
Hall Of Famer

Think of it as your fan base being disappointed that they never had the chance to see a popular player. As others said the effect is likely negligible especially in the offseason. I for the most part ignore the messages.

Also I think it likely serves as a balance. You probably got bonus attendance when you signed him due to his popularity. so you stands to lose ithe bonus by releasing him.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:28 PM   #9
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

I think of it like the Michael Jordan signing. I doubt signing him increased fan interest in the White Sox (although it greatly increased for their Birmingham minor league team) and I doubt fan interest in the White Sox "crashed" when he went back to basketball. If it isn't going to happen for someone like Jordan then it is unlikely any other minor league signings would have much of an affect on the parent club's fan base.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:43 AM   #10
Friendly_Beaver
Minors (Single A)

If they Jays cut Muni Kawasaki fans would be upset, I'm not sure why being a Jays fan myself I've never found anything special about him other than he gives a funny interview and dances a lot. But I can say fans would be mad if they cut him even though he's a AAA player, fan interest wouldn't "crash" no but they'd be disappointed.
Friendly_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:51 AM   #11
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendly_Beaver View Post
If they Jays cut Muni Kawasaki fans would be upset, I'm not sure why being a Jays fan myself I've never found anything special about him other than he gives a funny interview and dances a lot. But I can say fans would be mad if they cut him even though he's a AAA player, fan interest wouldn't "crash" no but they'd be disappointed.
Yeah, and check out what crash means numerically. It will be 2-5 points and back to normal in a week.

As for Kawasaki, he gets to flog for a car dealership for Petes sake! Why not motorcycles?

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:23 AM   #12
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Still not a fan of the delay coded into the fan response, albeit the reaction doesn't affect that much to begin with. When I don't resign a player and he becomes a FA, there's very little if any reaction. It only manifests itself once the player signs with another team. If that's 4 months down the road, it is. Then, there's the message that the fans aren't happy. Geez. They should have been unhappy when I let him go to FA. Are they really going to hang on to hope until he signs elsewhere? Don't think so. The boomerang doesn't have the right logic to it, IMHO.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:46 AM   #13
hefalumps
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
Still not a fan of the delay coded into the fan response, albeit the reaction doesn't affect that much to begin with. When I don't resign a player and he becomes a FA, there's very little if any reaction. It only manifests itself once the player signs with another team. If that's 4 months down the road, it is. Then, there's the message that the fans aren't happy. Geez. They should have been unhappy when I let him go to FA. Are they really going to hang on to hope until he signs elsewhere? Don't think so. The boomerang doesn't have the right logic to it, IMHO.
I dunno... when Markakis and Cruz went to new teams within the span of a week (despite being allowed to become free agents), fan interest in Baltimore definitely took a hit. Even though we pretty much knew Cruz was gone, there was a glimmer of hope he'd resign. And Markakis not resigning was a huge shock.

The same thing will probably happen with Chris Davis and/or Matt Wieters this year. The O's won't extend him, he'll become an FA, we'll hope maybe there's some shot at getting him back without spending a ridiculous fortune, and then we'll all get bitter when he signs with someone else.

Last edited by hefalumps; 09-08-2015 at 11:48 AM.
hefalumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:50 AM   #14
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Fan interest shouldn't drink and drive.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 02:30 PM   #15
markprior22
All Star Starter

Seems like the wording is the problem. "Fan interest almost crashed" seems a little overly dramatic.
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:36 PM   #16
mking55
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMichaelJordan View Post
The CFL was great. I almost crashed when Dave Mann was cut in 1969.
mking55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:42 PM   #17
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mking55 View Post
The CFL was great. I almost crashed when Dave Mann was cut in 1969.
Wow a Dave Mann reference may only mean something to 1 or 2 people here! One of my favourites.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:44 PM   #18
hefalumps
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markprior22 View Post
Seems like the wording is the problem. "Fan interest almost crashed" seems a little overly dramatic.
Agree 100% with this. Maybe something like "Fans are very disappointed" or something.
hefalumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:55 PM   #19
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

I let a few big names go from my team and got a few of these messages. I went from 100 to like 96. Totally devastating, I don't know how I will be able to recover.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:42 PM   #20
Bowtie
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markprior22 View Post
Unfortunately, that's what happens when fan interest drinks and drives.

Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote