Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2014, 06:52 PM   #1
son of clubs
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Wait for 2015?

I know that Franchise Hockey Manager had many issues when it first came out. How much have the patches fixed the game. Is it a playable game now or should I wait for the 2015 version to come out.
son of clubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:08 PM   #2
Cards>Cubs
Minors (Single A)

Im gonna wait until the next version to really try and get into the game. I pre-ordered and beta tested and have no regrets about helping support this game in its early stages even though I didnt seem to play it very seriosly because of some of the issues.

One thing is clear to me, the developers are talented and will fine tune this series as time moves on and I will be first in line to FHM 2015.
Cards>Cubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:15 PM   #3
Duranium
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by son of clubs View Post
I know that Franchise Hockey Manager had many issues when it first came out. How much have the patches fixed the game. Is it a playable game now or should I wait for the 2015 version to come out.
A big update/patch is scheduled for around March 5th - check the progress here

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...te-thread.html

"Surrendering to the glory of music
is a good thing."

David Mancuso 1944-2016

Duranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:58 AM   #4
BostonStrong
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duranium View Post
A big update/patch is scheduled for around March 5th - check the progress here

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...te-thread.html
That patch will deff help a lot the game is fully playable it's missing a few key things like scouting the way the engine picks fights injuries so on but all that is being fixed and updated with the next patch as of right now it's playable and only going to get better
BostonStrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:06 PM   #5
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

It's playable for me. Game improves with every patch.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:31 PM   #6
PotatoPeeler
Hall Of Famer

I've been following this game since it was announced but just haven't seen any compelling reasons to take the plunge. I'm hoping that all changes soon because I'd really love to play a good hockey sim.

I have never taken a lesson on how to talk on TV in my life.
- Tim McCarver

Guns have only two enemies; rust and liberals.

The world is a comedy to those that think; a tragedy to those that feel.
PotatoPeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:34 PM   #7
renojedi
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cards>Cubs View Post
Im gonna wait until the next version to really try and get into the game. I pre-ordered and beta tested and have no regrets about helping support this game in its early stages even though I didnt seem to play it very seriosly because of some of the issues.

One thing is clear to me, the developers are talented and will fine tune this series as time moves on and I will be first in line to FHM 2015.
Same for me. I play out all or most of my games so the match engine is the most important feature. The rest, while annoying, I can live with. After all, I have been making excuses for EA Sports NHL series for years

So my fix won't come for several more months if at all this cycle. Still, glad to contribute to the project even though I've only spent 10-15 hours playing the game since it came out (including the beta). And, I too will pre-order FHM15.
renojedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:38 PM   #8
Richie Daggers Crime
Bat Boy

The game is plenty playable right now. Yes, it needs a lot of work in some areas and a lot of refining in others, but the game is still interesting and addicting despite this.

I have no problem putting my money in because a) I'm playing the game and b) I know it helps future versions, which look very promising.
Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:15 PM   #9
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I pre-ordered and beta tested and have no regrets about helping support this game in its early stages even though I didnt seem to play it very seriosly because of some of the issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
I have no problem putting my money in because a) I'm playing the game and b) I know it helps future versions, which look very promising.
A very important consideration (if you can afford it).

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:32 AM   #10
emren13
Bat Boy

Does this 14 day money back policy still exist? Just curious, because I have been waiting for a hockey manager game for ages!! Reviews are still mixed at this point, though that March 5th update should be huge. My plan was to buy it after said update and if I don't like it then, get money refunded...

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by emren13; 02-21-2014 at 02:35 AM.
emren13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:11 AM   #11
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by emren13 View Post
Does this 14 day money back policy still exist? Just curious, because I have been waiting for a hockey manager game for ages!! Reviews are still mixed at this point, though that March 5th update should be huge. My plan was to buy it after said update and if I don't like it then, get money refunded...

Thanks in advance!
Yup, that policy's always in effect.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:22 PM   #12
emren13
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
Yup, that policy's always in effect.
Thanks!
emren13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:13 AM   #13
dmacgreg37
Major Leagues

Quote:

Exactly where I'm at. I bought it in pre-order, and as of now, don't even have it on my PC anymore. Once the new patch drops, I'll re-dl it and try again. That said, I have no regrets with buying the game and helping support the project getting off the ground.
dmacgreg37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:28 PM   #14
Hanson Bros
Hall Of Famer

Bought it knowing full well it was going to be a while before it is playable ... I have messed around with it a bit but waiting until the next patch comes out to really try it out

I should warn though that I tend to buy sports text sim games just to support the genre

UTBA3
Hanson Bros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:54 PM   #15
son of clubs
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanks for the help guys. I think I'm going to wait until after the March 5th patch comes out and read some reviews of it.
son of clubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:10 PM   #16
fhmplayer94
Bat Boy

Done with this year's game

Uninstalled FHM 2014. OOTP Developments a good framework in place, but there are too many little biographical/statistical errors scattered throughout and unrealistic gameplay, such as the lack of five-on-threes, empty net goals, shorthanded goals, and goals at unrealistic times (for example, goals scored at 0:00 or 0:02 of a period). Plus, there's no differentiation between head coach/gm and no drafting in lockout years, and contracts from the '80's and '90's are wholly unrealistic. However, I did enjoy the vast number of options and customizable portions of the game.

I will wait for next year's game now, and I hope there are some improvements. Regardless, thanks to OOTP for releasing the game; it has a lot of potential.
fhmplayer94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:22 PM   #17
gekkoguy82
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhmplayer94 View Post
Uninstalled FHM 2014. OOTP Developments a good framework in place, but there are too many little biographical/statistical errors scattered throughout and unrealistic gameplay, such as the lack of five-on-threes, empty net goals, shorthanded goals, and goals at unrealistic times (for example, goals scored at 0:00 or 0:02 of a period). Plus, there's no differentiation between head coach/gm and no drafting in lockout years, and contracts from the '80's and '90's are wholly unrealistic. However, I did enjoy the vast number of options and customizable portions of the game.

I will wait for next year's game now, and I hope there are some improvements. Regardless, thanks to OOTP for releasing the game; it has a lot of potential.
Head coaches are included in the game. You should try it with the newest patch.

Last edited by gekkoguy82; 03-13-2014 at 11:24 PM.
gekkoguy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:47 AM   #18
slimjim111
Bat Boy

I agree with most of the comments. The game has potential and I still see it in its infancy.

Having played sports management games since the age of 10, the process takes a lot of time, so I am hopeful that 2015 will be better.

I agree that the glitches do make the game a bit frustrating. A lot of unrealistic results happen throughout the game. Losing 12-2 in the NHL and not getting flack from the management or press... Seeing the Leafs finish top of the conference in the 2013-4 season, whilst Boston ends up 8th.

I played with Montreal and finishing the season very poorly, I still did not get fired! (Very unlike Montreal not to fire a coach that performs poorly)

Historical play is fun, but I wonder if having it is a bit too much considering how much the rules have changed over the years. I would certainly focus on the modern phase of the game and improve the current gameplay.

Focus of media handling, better personnel engine (building a staff and seeing the results), trade reactions from fans, fixing glitches, better training engine (though the new patch was a step in the right direction), tweaking UI and in-game engine. You should be able to see how the game is being played... Penalties should be clearer too. You shouldn't have to go into sub menus to find out who got boxed for what.

Also agree that there should be a difference between GM and coach. Would be nice to actually play as coach and get players traded for you, or have the GM ask your opinion on trades and depending on the management or your performance, whether or not they would even consider your opinion.

All in all, I still feel that for the amount of data that needed to be handled OOTP did a pretty decent job of releasing this first season of FHM.

Fingers crossed for a better FHM 15!
slimjim111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:52 AM   #19
AEWHistory
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhmplayer94 View Post

I haven't tracked how often goals are scored at the end of a period, so you may have a bit of a point that this is rare, but to imply that this is unrealistic in that it never happens is simply not true. As a Devils fan I will always be haunted by the high adrenaline Devils-Rangers finals series in 1994. Facing elimination the Devils tied the game with something like 1.7 seconds to go! I've seen things like this happen a few times in the years since and I'm hardly keeping track, so I have no doubt there are more examples that I'm not aware of.

As for the contracts, remember that the devs have noted that the monetary values are today's dollars. Also, while you certainly have a point about the '80s I think you're either forgetting or unaware of how bad things got in the '90s. The players turned most NHL teams into massive money losers when salaries skyrocketed in the '90s. That isn't unrealistic--it is all too realistic and painful for any franchise that isn't the Canadians, Maple Leafs, or Rangers.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:05 AM   #20
AEWHistory
Minors (Double A)

If you don't mind my asking how old are you? I'm not asking to be a jerk, I think it is a salient point. Also, what was the era you were simulating?

I see a lot of people talking about what is and is not "realistic" and I have to say that fir the mist part I do not agree. If anything, the game is too balanced. I was playing as the KC Scouts in the past few days and managed to win about 2 game for every 3 I lost. In reality the Scouts lost 3 games or so for every 1 they won. As for scores, the famous Gretzky "Mickey mouse" quote about the Devils was after the Oilers had given the Devils a 13-4 drubbing!!! The first game I ever watched of the Rockies they lost something like 10-2. So if those are the REAL scores I don't see why a 12-2 score isn't realistic. Even in the modern NHL it isn't unheard of for some games each year to get to 10 points or more total (for both teams) during a game. Now that's less than what you're reporting but hardly a world away. Now if this is what was the norm then I'd see your point but I just don't have those experiences myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjim111 View Post
I agree with most of the comments. The game has potential and I still see it in its infancy.

Having played sports management games since the age of 10, the process takes a lot of time, so I am hopeful that 2015 will be better.

I agree that the glitches do make the game a bit frustrating. A lot of unrealistic results happen throughout the game. Losing 12-2 in the NHL and not getting flack from the management or press... Seeing the Leafs finish top of the conference in the 2013-4 season, whilst Boston ends up 8th.

I played with Montreal and finishing the season very poorly, I still did not get fired! (Very unlike Montreal not to fire a coach that performs poorly)

Historical play is fun, but I wonder if having it is a bit too much considering how much the rules have changed over the years. I would certainly focus on the modern phase of the game and improve the current gameplay.

Focus of media handling, better personnel engine (building a staff and seeing the results), trade reactions from fans, fixing glitches, better training engine (though the new patch was a step in the right direction), tweaking UI and in-game engine. You should be able to see how the game is being played... Penalties should be clearer too. You shouldn't have to go into sub menus to find out who got boxed for what.

Also agree that there should be a difference between GM and coach. Would be nice to actually play as coach and get players traded for you, or have the GM ask your opinion on trades and depending on the management or your performance, whether or not they would even consider your opinion.

All in all, I still feel that for the amount of data that needed to be handled OOTP did a pretty decent job of releasing this first season of FHM.

Fingers crossed for a better FHM 15!