Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion

Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion Talk about the latest FHM, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 04-29-2018, 12:20 PM   #1
kstepanian
Minors (Single A)

Coaches tactics choices

I am running in GM-only mode and the way coaches are choosing tactics is driving me crazy.

I am GM-ing the Canadiens and 2 seasons ago I won the cup (yay me!). My coach was Mike Sullivan and he was using an offense of Stay in Your Lanes and a defense of Man-to-Man (which he inherited from Claude Julian who I fired mid-season). The following season the defensive tactic switched to 1-2-2 Forecheck despite the fact that the only change in the roster was a couple of 4th line guys. Even worse the effectiveness of Man-to-Man was generall in the low 70's while 1-2-2 Forecheck was in the low 50's.

At the time I chalked it up to the fact that Sullivan was maybe trying to get more offense going since he was an offensive coach or that he just left the old tactic in place when he took over mid-season and was starting fresh in his first full season.

When his contract expired I let him go and hired a new coach (Vlad Ruzicka) who has a balanced approach offensively. He put the team back to the Man-to-Man defense and, lo and behold, we finished with the second-most points and won the cup again with the second-lowest goals against in the league and the second highest scoring offense. All is good.

In the offseason, I had literally no roster changes. The same team is back in toto and he is using the exact same line combinations for both forwards and defensemen. The one change? Defensive tactics have switched to 1-2-2 Forecheck! This time (maybe last time as well and I didn't notice?), while he has kept the offense as Stay in Your Lanes the effectiveness of the offense has also fallen from the upper 60's to mid-upper 40's and the defensive effectiveness, is back down from around 70 to around 50. During pre-season, we went a rousing 0-7 as a result.

WHY?!?!

Why would the same coach with the exact same players and same line combinations switch to a so demonstrably worse defensive scheme?

Why would a change in defensive tactics have such a massive impact on offensive effectiveness when there has been no change in the offensive scheme?

The fact that both times this has happened the switch was to 1-2-2 defense makes me wonder if something more fundamental under the covers is going on after a coach's first season.

Is there any way to force a reversion to the more reasonable tactics?

I don't want to coach myself generally because there is just too much updating when someone is hurt or needs some rest, but too often I feel like I am always trying to work around some ridiculous coaching decision/tendency that seems to come out of the blue.

I am not yet running the latest update, but is there any reason to think this may impact what I'm seeing?
kstepanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 10:34 PM   #2
maikgianino
Minors (Double A)

You should GM + Coach.
Coach is nothing more than making your assistant coach make lines, players roles and then if you notice something that you don't like you simply change it by yourself and job done. When a player is injured just move him to the Injury list if you want. There is nothing really hard to do, nothing really takes long time to complete doing the coaching though. Even being GM + Coach let's you select the tactics so you don't have to worry about your coaches making those crazy changes.

In summary, if I was you would change to GM + Coach right now haha.

Last edited by maikgianino; 04-29-2018 at 10:35 PM.
maikgianino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 02:06 AM   #3
JeffR
FHM Producer

What version are you currently using, exactly? There were some fairly significant changes and fixes to the tactical calculations in the last few updates.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 01:29 PM   #4
kstepanian
Minors (Single A)

I'm running 4.6.75
Old 05-01-2018, 01:55 AM   #5
JeffR
FHM Producer

Yeah, you should definitely update that. With that version, it's still using the overly-generous fit score calculations, so to the AI, the tactics look much closer together in terms of overall effectiveness than they actually should be. So minor fluctuations in ratings due to player development/aging, or even changing just one or two players in the lineup, can be enough to make it think switching is a good idea.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 01:27 PM   #6
kstepanian
Minors (Single A)

Did the upgrade to the latest version but no change. Still getting the 1-2-2 defense with a horrible rating and the accompanying massive downgrade of my offense even though that strategy has not changed.

Once you're running in GM mode there isn't any way to have any control over the strategy right? I can't fire the coach because he just won a cup so I don't think I have any real options here, do I?