Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 16 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2015 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 07-30-2015, 11:49 AM   #1
waltwa
All Star Reserve

"simming ahead" in online leagues

I was just looking for an online league to join. I was going thru the rules of a new league and I saw that "simming ahead" by a gm would result in expulsion from the league.

I have thought in some leagues that simming ahead is done by gm's. I have no idea if it, in fact, is done or even if it can be done by a non-gm, but I was struck that it came up in the rules of a league.Is it possible to sim ahead (and not be the commissioner) and get an idea of what players or prospects will develop positively or negatively and thus prosper in an online league.?
waltwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:39 PM   #2
Tyler87898
All Star Reserve

In previous versions, there used to be a way to sim ahead by clicking on future dates at the top part of the screen where it shows upcoming games. I don't think there is a way to do it on OOTP 16 without being the commish.
Tyler87898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:48 PM   #3
waltwa
All Star Reserve

wow so it was possible. I assume u could then sim ahead at all levels and watch the success or lackof success of all players in the league. I am glad to hear its not possible in 16 but we are talking about computers!!
Old 07-30-2015, 02:51 PM   #4
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltwa View Post
wow so it was possible. I assume u could then sim ahead at all levels and watch the success or lackof success of all players in the league. I am glad to hear its not possible in 16 but we are talking about computers!!
It does not provide the value you would think. No 2 sims are alike, many sims are not even remotely similar. Injuries and development are not predetermined. Injury "ratings" and personality are viewable by any GM. A lot of what people would glean from this can be guessed by looking at true ratings.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:49 PM   #5
waltwa
All Star Reserve

you re probably right but I still am glad that acc to earlier post it is not possible in 16. apparently there were some complaints about it.

I know from my solo league experience that 1yr is different from the same year repeated but still.......
Old 07-30-2015, 05:30 PM   #6
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

In our league it is a bannable offense.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:48 PM   #7
waltwa
All Star Reserve

why is it a bannable offense? does it give the advance simmer an advantage? if yes how?

I agree tho it should be bannable but I am curious as to the exact advantage
Old 07-30-2015, 06:18 PM   #8
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

This is a horse that was beaten to death a long, long time ago.

It's been many versions since it was possible to do this, so why even worry about it?

As previously pointed out, it wasn't reliable anyway since no 2 sims are alike.
Bluenoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:37 PM   #9
waltwa
All Star Reserve

I have never seen anything about it on this forum. I am curious if it doesn't produce any advantage why is it banned in some leagues. why acc to an earlier post did ootp put a stop to it in 16.

I have no idea how it was done or if it produced an advantage - its just that when looking at a league const I noticed it was addressed which led me to believe that at least 2 leagues suspected a possible advantage.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:40 PM   #10
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I have never seen anything about it on this forum. I am curious if it doesn't produce any advantage why is it banned in some leagues. why acc to an earlier post did ootp put a stop to it in 16.
It was banned because it at least has the APPEARANCE of producing an advantage.

Even if no two sims are the same, if a player sims ahead and elects to choose a certain pitcher in the draft as a result, and the player DOES turn out to be good in the online league, then it certainly SEEMS unfair. It's also clearly outside the bounds of "spirit of fair play."
battists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:41 PM   #11
battists
Hall Of Famer

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I see a parallel with betting on baseball.

Think about it: betting on baseball itself gives no competitive advantage. The main reason Rose is banned is because there was a perception that he could have played/managed differently based on bets and it appeared to be a risk to the integrity of the game.

Same thing here.
battists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 03:51 PM   #12
waltwa
All Star Reserve

I just came across another league that banned simming ahead.

I was in a great league that was really competitive and then I noticed a particular team playing at like .750. now this was the best league I had ever played in and it took all kinds of time to compete and then all of a sudden a team is running away with the league.

when I looked carefully at the team I noticed draftees always lived up to expectations in a league where this was highly improbable due to settings. I further noticed that players traded for always had big ticks in ratings after the trade.

now I have no idea if this was playing ahead but I always felt that something had to account for the outcome. I wondered at the time if it could have been due to breaking into the game and playing with the ratings. I can remember in some early editions that leagues broke up due to comm. messing with the ratings obviously to their advantage but I never thought that a non-comm could change ratings and still would doubt it.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:53 PM   #13
bailey
Hall Of Famer

The game is not locked down like Ft. Knox.

bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 06:20 PM   #14
Bisbo
Minors (Single A)

Quote:

I was in a great league that was really competitive and then I noticed a particular team playing at like .750. now this was the best league I had ever played in and it took all kinds of time to compete and then all of a sudden a team is running away with the league.

when I looked carefully at the team I noticed draftees always lived up to expectations in a league where this was highly improbable due to settings. I further noticed that players traded for always had big ticks in ratings after the trade.

now I have no idea if this was playing ahead but I always felt that something had to account for the outcome. I wondered at the time if it could have been due to breaking into the game and playing with the ratings. I can remember in some early editions that leagues broke up due to comm. messing with the ratings obviously to their advantage but I never thought that a non-comm could change ratings and still would doubt it.

I've seen the same thing, which caused me to quit a league I had recently joined.
Bisbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:23 PM   #15
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I have seen similar, the league is still going, the offending party is gone and we are rolling along.
It can be overcome with consistent commissioners.