Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 01-31-2015, 09:07 PM   #381
Steve Kuffrey
Administrator

Steve Kuffrey
1b/3b
Atlanta, Ga
T-R
B-B
Player: Ben Zobrist
Baseball Maelstrom-Montreal Expos-2013 Tourney winner, 2014 WC Team
Sparky's League - Tampa Bay D'Rays
Epicenter Baseball League - Astros 2014
The CBL Rewind - Phillies '95
Steve Kuffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:19 PM   #382
baseballonly
All Star Reserve

Tell me when Martinez retires, I'll make a new guy.
baseballonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:32 PM   #383
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

I'll force retire him now. He only played two games in the majors last year before getting released and hit .204 the year before that. I think he's done.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:39 PM   #384
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

I created Steve Kuffrey. Rather than put him on a college roster, I'm giving him the option I gave one other guy. I'm gonna let him play on Team USA and then he can become a free agent. We'll imagine there was some special reason him and one other created guy (a real life friend of mine) got this exemption.

Mostly I wanna see him perform sooner rather than waiting for the college season, the draft and then another full year.

Last edited by darkcloud4579; 01-31-2015 at 10:41 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:40 PM   #385
baseballonly
All Star Reserve

okay lol, that sucks, but, when there's time, create Paul Scott, the grandson of Shane Scott. Bats L throws R, similar to Chase Utley but almost never gets hurt. Position is 2B.

Thanks
Old 02-01-2015, 01:09 PM   #386
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Paul Scott created.

I did do the baseball classic, but the work involved in maintaining it was kind of wrecking my records in ways I didn't like. So I got rid of it. Team Japan beat Team USA in the final, but as I expected, that was with Japan's best players playing and Team USA a ragtag mix of guys. Overall it was pretty even and interesting, but I think it might be an experiment to table until OOTP16 and see if there's an easier way to do the baseball classic model in that version since we're only talking a few months from now.

Paul Scott and Steve Kuffrey are both in college at Utah. Because my league is stats only, Kuffrey didn't do so great in the baseball classic, so he'd have suffered salarywise if I sent him out into the field right now. A year of college and he should be able to restore his stock well enough to get drafted somewhere without just flaming out for playing on too high a level of competition.

Last edited by darkcloud4579; 02-01-2015 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:36 PM   #387
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

The ABA is going to expand back to 32 teams, as it's been at 28 for almost a decade now.

Two teams who left are coming back Baltimore Atlantics (NABL) and the Salt Lake City Elders (UPB) and the Tacoma Thrashers (NABL). The last team I haven't decided about yet. Probably not taken from another league, though it's a possibility that it's an expansion team because we know how I love those story lines. lol
Old 02-01-2015, 09:38 PM   #388
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

I moved the Toronto Giants to Montana and then to Minnesota (Minnesota Chiefs) for this upcoming year. The Chiefs are going to move to the UPB, I'm going to expand by two in the ABA and take the San Diego Schooners as one club and one other team that'll be named the Foresters for some as of yet determined city.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:52 PM   #389
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Speaking of changes, I am considering turning on injuries in this league. It'll fundamentally change the way the game plays for me, in that, obviously fewer if anyone will reach certain milestones and other things. But I'd just like to mix things up some after 300+ years of it being the same and to me, that seems like a good way to do it.

So for the upcoming year, injuries will be on "very low", fatigue will be on "average" and I've enabled drug suspensions because I'm really curious to see how I'll feel in the future when evaluating certain guys and decide whether I judge them harshly or not for having used PEDs. In real life, I don't care whether players did or not. But in my league, being able to have guys sullied that way and then having to wrestle with it for real, seems like a fun exercise for a league that's never had to deal with it before, just like real life.

Because if you consider all of the guys from the past whoever ever been edited by me, consider them PED users. But no one sees them that way because you don't know who was edited (unless I mentioned it, which I do these days) or not...hell, sometimes I even forget because I don't have a rhyme or reason for editing people (sometimes, I see a guy and like his name and I'm like "he should be a star...")

So anyway, we'll see how long I can tolerate it. Plus injuries because I want to see teams having to deal with that through the season and actually having to make decisions based on it.

I just turned injuries on Low for now. We'll see how the first year goes, I might increase it.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:48 AM   #390
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Okay so the two new teams to the ABA:

San Diego Skippers
Memphis Hounds

Expansion draft setting was set to each team protecting 17 players, all players under 3 years autoprotected and set so no team can lose more than 4 players, so a total of 60 rounds in all.

That way it fills out an entire organization.

Last edited by darkcloud4579; 02-02-2015 at 03:29 AM.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:04 AM   #391
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

I may or may not have spent some time at the bookstore today look at MLB preview magazines for ideas on ways to develop a consistent team capsule style for my dynasties.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:41 PM   #392
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

I am doing both expansion drafts for the new teams, the game is still terrible at it and also...i should've probably done the lists too, because they are not good since the game has way too much pitchers protected and it's not realistic.

I self-crashed to see if I saved before the expansion draft and can go ahead and do the team lists myself. It's tedious, but...I was just in the mood to do an expansion draft anyway to rebuild some teams maybe using two different strategies for a few years. They're in the same division right now, but I'll probably swap them so that they're not in the same league and try the different strategies and see how we do over a few years.

I've NEVER really played with a specific strategy in mind, I've always been a bit of a free wheeler in that sense.

I just checked and my auto-save from last night was from 20 minutes before I started the expansion draft, so I can go through and redo the lists from the other teams.

I discovered that letting them save 25 players was too many. 17 is a better number, because with the talent breakdown in my league and I might even drop to 15 because I use feeders and so, the talent in my minors aren't as good as you'd see in a league where the game was generating the players.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:32 PM   #393
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

30 rounds in the expansion draft, as no team can lose more than 2 players. I feel like a 30-man roster is fine, we're just trying to stock the majors, both already have minor league systems that are stocked.

San Diego is going to take the Tampa Bay Rays strategy of slow and plodding. Don't expect them to make any big moves to try to contend early. They're just going to try to stockpile young players and see how it goes over time. More on this later. Probably gonna be some variation of Moneyball.

Memphis on the other hand is going to Diamondbacks strategy of capturing a market by being successful early. I put a team in Memphis specifically to fill a huge southern gap in the ABA, so the deal here is to attack pretty heavily. A lot of those fans are already fans of teams in Chicago or the Flycatchers, so having a team that's successful out of the gate is the only way to capture them early.

I'm using the 1997 expansion draft as a guide to keep things realistic, tho I have a sense of how to do this by now.

Last edited by darkcloud4579; 02-02-2015 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:46 PM   #394
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Also I'm going to make two other modifications after years of standardization. Going to start letting teams have original ballparks after years of playing in a 1.000 standard stadium. In real life, I like that baseball allows parks to be any dimensions they want for the most part, but in here I didn't feel like dealing with the quirks. I'm ready now.

The other thing? Importing managerial strategy settings for at least the teams in the ABA. I'm not as concerned about the other major leagues, but would like to see how the teams play-perform differently with different tactical considerations. After years of keeping it boring, really interested to see what if any affect this has on gameplay and overall ratings.

The biggest change is obviously going to be injuries and PED suspensions but hey.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:35 PM   #395
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Apparently i'd already done the strategy thing for managers a long time ago. Went to do it and then saw them all and remembered it.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:38 PM   #396
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

As planned, San Diego came out of the expansion draft with a $10.3 million payroll. Memphis is (temporarily) at $167.2 million, but I'm going to make a bunch of deals to get rid of those expensive deals -- at least some of them -- because that wasn't really my intent, but the strat here is to build a team that's ready to contend. The D-Backs won the NL West in their 2nd season. Carolina and Jacksonsville made the NFL conference finals in their 2nd season.

The Hounds want to best that. I'm certain no expansion team has ever won a title in their first year..but not entirely.

Last edited by darkcloud4579; 02-02-2015 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:55 PM   #397
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

I was looking back through history. The Tacoma Thrashers were originally the 3rd incarnation of the Rio Grande Roadrunners, that team won back to back titles in their first two years, but they're historically the same franchise as the team from 1910-2016 that I shuttered for some reason and all of the players that came over were from that team that'd just won a title.

So it doesn't count.

The 1812 Williamsport Grays (defunct) won a title in their 3rd year of existence.

The 2002 New Jersey Shoremen (defunct) only existed for three years as a club and won a title in their first season -- 2002. If I recall, the purpose there was to establish themselves as a local force. Didn't work. In their last year became the New York Titans ((no relation to the current UPB club) and then folded.

The 1808 Brooklyn Bushwicks (defunct) won a title in their first year, eight years after the league was founded.

1842 Sioux Falls Blue Wings (defunct) won a title in their 3rd season.

1944 Atlanta Firecrackers (DEFUNCT) won a title in their 2nd season.

2021 Dallas Settlers (now Albuquerque Dukes) won a title in their 4th season.

2084-85 California Seals won back to back titles in their 4th and 5th season respectively, they haven't won one since.

2033-34 Roswell Rockets (now Florida) won back to back titles in their 6th and 7th season.

So no active team has ever done it. I think the tough thing is, if you do manage to pull it off, you end up being old and it's hard to rebuild a team around after that. What's a better model is kind of what Great Plains did. A playoff team consistently out of the chute, hit paydirt. Franchise has 67 playoff appearances in 81 seasons and 9 championships.

So it'll be interesting to see what they can do.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:46 PM   #398
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Memphis's payroll down to $94 million, 15th out of 32 teams. We'll keep it at that give or take.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:36 PM   #399
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

This was a clutch deal for Memphis, even tho I did want to keep Lyman because it means that payroll falls to the 60$m range and the team can go after 17-year old Team USA free agent SS Aaron Rester, who is causing a lot of attention because he's an American but is a FA like an international due to a commissioner's office loophole due to him playing on Team USA which meant he could go back to college (like Steve Kuffrey did) or become a free agent and avoid the draft.

Don't let the salary of that above trade confuse you, this league is notorious for giving out huge contracts to dudes who have a few good years and then those contracts can get hard to move, part of why I let the ABA be the league with money...so that deals like this can be moved. Teams in my league routinely have $100ms in their accounts to spend, so that deal isn't as bad as it'd look in real life though it is a top 10 contract.

He opted to become a FA and now teams are throwing long term deals at him like crazy in an effort to keep him locked in and to see if he's as good as he appears he might be. He only hit .253 in 99 Winter League ABs for Team USA, but that's respectable when you consider his age. Also had 3 HRs and 16 RBI.

Anyway...not sure if we can get him to Memphis, because overpaying might get other teams in on him, but we'll see what happens. He's the only other person I'm targeting in free agency for that club. I'm not allowing San Diego to participate in free agency at all. They're gonna intentionally stick with who they have, besides any trades I manage to make once i look at their roster from post-expansion draft.

Last edited by darkcloud4579; 02-02-2015 at 11:37 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:04 PM   #400
baseballonly
All Star Reserve

Jesus 31 mil for a .241 hitter? That is a steal by you!