Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Online Leagues

Old 04-01-2006, 12:35 PM   #1
doug melvin
Minors (Single A)

Competitive Fictional League seeks 4

I'm a long-standing commish (three real life years- since ootp4) looking for a few owners for my league. Everyone who's been in my leagues knows that I run a very tight ship-- I sim like clockwork, and if I'm about to miss something, you know ahead of time. Also, you may or may not recognize some of the owners in here, but they are the most knowledgable guys I've run into in the 6 leagues I've been in over the year--- the cream of the crop, so to speak.

I feel CPL is unique for a few reasons:
  1. We finally have a ghost writer! That's right- a scrupulous owner who collects your neat observations, trade rumours, complaints, etc. and writes them up every week or two into a little article. Great way to stay on top of goings on.
  2. We are a fictional league, but I simmed over 100 years of history. That means we have meaningful historical comparisons, great arguements about the HOF, etc. despite only having been in existence for 4 seaons.
  3. We sim a small number of games, but we sim every weekday. You don't have to stay on top of your team every single day of the week, but if you're a control freak, you can.
  4. We have a fixed finances system. You make 70 million bucks a year, no matter what. You can only spend 70 million bucks a year, no matter what. And you can't accumulate any cash.
  5. You can only resign guys who want to resign with your team. Combined with 4 above, this means that it's really hard to have a dynasty, and it's comparatively easy to rebuild, because FA is vibrant. It also means no one really tanks.

I have a very quick boot for owners that I see as being lazy or bad, and as a result, the current owners are all top notch. But it also means I tend to have more openings than other leagues do. If interested, please send your email addy, AIM name, a reference (e.g. a league that you're in), and team preference to sh.misra@gmail.com.

League: http://cpl.shulermisra.org
Teams open (we need 4 guys-- I simply take the team no one wants, meaning I switch teams every season!):

Athletics (a powerhouse team that's clearly been the best in the league for a couple of years... probably good for another year, but then requires some thought)

Phillies (The class of the NL, much as the A's are the class of the AL... still, probably will require some thought in a season or two as they get older)

Tigers (not a powerhouse, but injuries and age have taken away the lustor... made the playoffs, but probably ready for a rebuild)

Giants (similar to the Tigers- never a powerhouse, but they had a bunch of playoff appearances recently... however, the time to rebuild has come)

Cardinals An up-and-coming team that, with the right moves, will probably be the NL favorite in a year or two.

Last edited by doug melvin; 04-01-2006 at 12:38 PM.
doug melvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 10:27 AM   #2
doug melvin
Minors (Single A)

Detroit has been filled.... I know there are a lot of historical league only guys out there... give fictional a chance--- a lot of the guys here are historical league ppl, and you'd be surprised how much historical flavor you get when you have a 100 year history As well, we've managed to avoid many competitiveness problems because of the rules (see above). Give us a chance!
Old 04-14-2006, 10:22 AM   #3
whitesoxs01
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I have done a lot of OOTP, FPS, Hardball, and I have always done historical leagues, I liked having real names that I knew. This is the 1st fictional league that I have liked. The reasons why are simple, everyone gets 70 million, it add such parity, everyone has a chance to do well. You can only resign guys who want to be resigned, so it adds a lot of depth to Free agency.

Most of the complaints I have heard from people over the years are:
1.) It isn't fair that so and so makes 100 million and I only make 30 million.
2.) You get the same playoff teams year after year after year
3.) There are no free agents, all that is there are 35+ year old hasbeens.
4.) People tank, and instead of it being a race to 100 wins, teams try to lose 100 games

This league has solved all those problems, everyone makes 70 million, so there is no reason to waste money, if you don't use your 70 million you lose it. No one can complain about anyone making more money, it is an even playing field. The playoff teams change from year to year, as the good teams can't afford to keep all their players and sometimes they won't even want to sign (if the plays says I want to test Free agency, they go to free agency.)

We have great free agents, who are actually young (sometimes you lose the youngster sometimes you get the young player, http://shulermisra.org/cpl/league/p501.html is the best example of this from just last season.

Any questions about the league feel free to go to the site and look up the rules, but it is a great league. http://shulermisra.org/cpl/league/league.html Is the standings, obviously this might change from when I typed it and you read it, but there are currently 6 of the 8 teams in the AL capable of winning the divinson, and there is a wild card so 2 of those 6 teams will make the playoffs. The NL wildcard race is just as close.
whitesoxs01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 09:14 PM   #4
whitesoxs01
Minors (Rookie Ball)

only 2 teams left, (the A's and the Phillies, who wants to play in Philedelphia anyway) one is running away with the NL, which would mean you could do some trades to get younger, and have a good chance a title. While the other team, the A's is in the middle of the playoff race in the AL.
whitesoxs01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 12:10 PM   #5
doug melvin
Minors (Single A)

A correction- only two teams are open, but it's the Cards and the Athletics.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:49 PM   #6
MikeFly
Bat Boy

Bump, bump come on now shake ya rump-uh!

I wanna make sure the team my Tigers face in the WS has a GM.

Everything about this league has been top notch so far. So maybe I've only been in the league all of about a month but I've been around enough to recognize TT when I see it. The Fly says, "BRING IT".
MikeFly is offline   Reply With Quote