Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Suggestions and Feature Wish List > Earlier versions of OOTP: Text Suggestion Forum

Old 12-19-2006, 02:39 PM   #1
tysok
Hall Of Famer

League News: Rookie of the Month Hitter (B)

Here's the first one. Winning Rookie of the Month should be a little more exciting than just a single line saying he won it followed by a stat line.

Celebrate the award in a story header or give me a quote (clever or cliche) to bulk up these messages. There's plenty there already, but probably 80% are scrawny.

Remember not many stats in the story header. Something like "he won on the strength of a great .333 average blah blah blah blah" with most stats in the stat line on the bottom.

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.

I firmly believe that any man's finest hour... is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. (Vince Lombardi)

I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom. (George S. Patton)
tysok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 02:55 PM   #2
ifspuds
Hall Of Famer

Hope I'm reading correctly what you're wanting, tysok.

Header: It can be hard sometimes for a rookie to establish himself in the big leagues, but winning the Rookie of the Month award is definitely going to help (player)'s cause.

Stat Line: (player) brings home this month's hardware with numbers like (stat line).
Old 12-19-2006, 04:01 PM   #3
CMH
Hall Of Famer

(1)

"Right after [player] heard he was the [league] Rookie of the Year, he started getting congratulatory calls from his teammates.

I'm so happy," [player] said. "I want to thank each one of my teammates, because every day they gave me the energy to play in the big leagues."

(2)
When [Player] heard he won the [league] Rookie of the Year today, he was in the gym getting ready for next season.

"I was pretty excited. I totally forgot that today was the day it was announced," [player] said. "It was pretty fun just to be a part of this rookie class."

*Changed up some things from actualy news story quotes and comments on the awards this year.

Not sure if this is basically what you are asking for with these stories. If you want it to be more in-depth and bulkier then I can do that.
CMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 01:29 PM   #4
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Sent to the Text Team for evaluation.
Eugene Church is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 07:25 PM   #5
fhomess
Hall Of Famer

Here are some quotes a player might say when winning the honor:

"I'm pretty excited to be recognized in this way as the competition up here is definitely much tougher than what I've faced before."

"Am I surprised? Not really. I know I've got what it takes to be here so I expect to succeed."

"I think my mother was more excited than I was, but yeah, it's pretty cool to be getting some recognition as a newcomer to the league."

"I'm really grateful to my teammates for helping me get used to playing up here. They've been great and I'm really happy to have played so well."

"Believe me, there's a whole bunch of guys in that dugout who are intent on reminding me I'm a rookie even with this award."

"Coming in and having some success is exactly what I was hoping to accomplish this year. This is proof that I've succeeded."

"As a kid you set your heart on becoming a big leaguer. You work hard and you practice and if you're lucky you make it. I'd say I'm pretty lucky."

"If I'd known it'd be this easy I'd have told them to bring me up sooner."
Old 12-22-2006, 11:32 PM   #6
redsox45
Hall Of Famer

-- Boston's Kevin Youkilis showed scouts and fans alike that he could contribute at the Major League level. In August, the 23 year old first baseman batted .443 with 9 HR and 23 RBI, picking up the American League Rookie of the Month Award.

Said Youkilis, in an interview with SION, "You can't let up at this level. There's always someone ready to take your slot. You've gotta earn it."

-- Boston's Kevin Youkilis was the consensus pick as AL Rookie of the Month for June. The 23 year old first baseman batted .398 with 6 HR and 21 RBI during the month.

"I'm just glad to be up here with the Red Sox. If I can contribute to the team, I'm happy."

-- Red Sox first baseman Kevin Youkilis won AL Rookie of the Month today. The energetic 23-year old hit .402 with 3 HR and 19 RBI, outpacing his fellow freshmen.

"It's an honor to play in the big leagues. But it's a lot of work just to perform consistently on a day to day basis. I admire guys that can do it for ten, twelve years."

Will

1. Murder of Roger Ackroyd -- Agatha Christie
2. Birds of Prey -- Wilbur Smith
3. King Solomon's Mines - H. Rider Haggard
4. Comstock Lode -- Louis L'Amour
5. Andersonville -- McKinley Kantor
redsox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 11:42 PM   #7
redsox45
Hall Of Famer

Quotes:

"You've gotta work hard to stay in the big leagues. To get an award like this is flattering. But from here on out, the level of expectation goes up."

"I'm just grateful to be playing for the Red Sox. Awards like this are great, but they don't keep you in the majors over the long haul. you've gotta keep plugging."

"It's hard getting over the shock of playing against real pros. They're not going to give you anything. You've got to earn their respect. Rookies just aren't respected."

Will

Old 12-22-2006, 11:52 PM   #8
redsox45
Hall Of Famer

More quotes:

"I just want to win baseball games. Awards are nice, but they don't keep you in the bigs."

"I'm supposed to be in the bigs. I like it here, and I don't want to leave. Rookie of the Month is nice, but it isn't a get out of jail free card."

"I'm just relaxing, going with the flow, and enjoying my time up here. I've learned not to dwell on a bad day. That's part of being a big leaguer."

"I'm trying to chip in where I can. These guys are pros, and they expect guys to act like pros."

Will

Old 12-23-2006, 10:11 AM   #9
redsox45
Hall Of Famer

More quotes:

"I enjoy coming to the ballpark," said Youkilis, on winning the honor, "Who doesn't enjoy playing in the big leagues? It's the big league's for Pete's sake! Just go with it."

"What a shock," confessed a stunned Youkilis, "I just go out there and give my best effort every day. I'm honored that the league has given me this award."

"I don't want to wake up from this. Being in the majors is a dream come true!"

"MLB has a life of its own. I'm thrilled to be here!"

"I wish I could say it's a lot of work, but I just see the ball and I hit it. It's not difficult right know. Maybe it will be, but not now."

"Playing for the Red Sox is cool! It's a great group of guys up here. I wanna be a part of that long term."

"Playing for the Red Sox is sweet! It's hard work, but it's also a lotta fun!"

"It's one big party. Big leaguers live! I'm just going to enjoy it as long as I can."

Will

Old 12-24-2006, 03:26 AM   #10
tysok
Hall Of Famer

Great quotes... helps out my uncreative mind. I've been off on other parts for a while but will hopefully be jumping back into these news areas soon to take a fresh look.

I appreciate the help.

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.

I firmly believe that any man's finest hour... is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. (Vince Lombardi)

I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom. (George S. Patton)
tysok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 10:16 AM   #11
redsox45
Hall Of Famer

No problem...

Last year's text team didn't really focus on quotes. It's good that you guys are able to do so this year, and don't have to write the whole database from scratch.

Will

Old 12-27-2006, 02:28 PM   #12
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

all of the above sent to text team for evaluation.

Thanks to everybody for helping out.

It is much appreciated.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:02 PM   #13
Craig Scarborough
All Star Reserve

When informed he had won the Rookie of the Month award, Joe Smith was appreciative but tried to take it in stride. "This is quite an honor. Honestly, the level of competition might change, but the game doesn't. I just try to hit the ball hard no matter who the pitcher is."

After hitting .350 on the month with 2 HRs and 7 RBIs, Smith seems to have found himself a home in the majors. "I certainly don't miss the long bus trips. I'm just trying to stay here as long as I can."
Craig Scarborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 02:18 AM   #14
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Scarborough View Post
When informed he had won the Rookie of the Month award, Joe Smith was appreciative but tried to take it in stride. "This is quite an honor. Honestly, the level of competition might change, but the game doesn't. I just try to hit the ball hard no matter who the pitcher is."

After hitting .350 on the month with 2 HRs and 7 RBIs, Smith seems to have found himself a home in the majors. "I certainly don't miss the long bus trips. I'm just trying to stay here as long as I can."
Very fine writing.

Wish we had a lot more like this.

Well done.

Hope you will write some more.

Since this will be used in all league classifications, it is best not to make references to the "majors".

No problem. You had no way of knowing this.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 02-24-2007 at 02:20 AM.