Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:10 AM   #1
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

Season 22 (2040) Discussion Thread

Hello All! Good Luck
Old 08-19-2019, 09:13 AM   #2
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

PocketsAintFull's Season Preview

The Birmingham Combined Authority, refreshed last season from their All-NL/NeL life as Painter's Wife's Islanders, start this week in Diamond with their 'pre-Jackie breakaway team'. They left Perfect with 64 wins, but the lineup looks strong for their first full season together. Babe Ruth ('21 Record) is the star attraction, and will be hoping for a fast start after taking his time to settle in last time round. The biggest problem to be solved was pitching, specifically the top of the rotation and the bullpen as a whole. Lefty Grove ('31 Record) is a huge signing for the club, and should give confidence that the batting lineup won't be facing an uphill battle day-in and day-out. The bullpen sees two new high-stuff signings in Ernie White ('41 Wonder) and Johnny Allen ('38 All-Star), who should provide the extra dimension needed, should they manage to stay clear of the long-ball. The DH spot sees a platoon between backup Catcher Mickey Cochrane ('35 All-Star), and Joe Medwick ('36 Record). The strong Negro League spine of the team has been retained, and is a proud part of the club's identity.

Birmingham Lineup (vRHP): CF Pete Hill, RF Hugh Duffy, LF Babe Ruth, 1B John O'Neil, 2B Frankie Frisch, C Ernie Lombardi, DH Mickey Cochrane, 3B Freddie Lindstrom, SS Ray Dandridge. Starting Rotation: Lefty Grove, Rube Foster, Bullet Joe Rogan, Wes Ferrell, Mel Harder. Closer: Leon Day.

It's a big week for Walsall All-Stars, a new 'open-selection' team (minus players eligible for the other two theme teams). Along with the Birmingham Combined Authority, it was touch and go as to whether they would start this week in Perfect or Diamond. They stayed up with 63 wins, and are going to make a go of it, investing the PP made from selling some well-priced veterans. Weak spots were CF (where Utility OF Larry Doby ('52 All-Star) had been filling in, 3B (where an optimistic Yoan Moncada ('19 Live) enjoyed a rare season in the Big League), and Catcher (an open hole after the departure of Ivan Rodriguez). Third-Base welcomes Evan Longoria ('10 All-Star), Catcher brings in a rare 'position platoon' with Yogi Berra ('51 Hardware) & Ray Fosse ('70 All-Star) sharing duties, and Centre Field brings in a huge signing - Mike Trout ('19 Live), who in the grand scheme replaces *himself* ('13 All-Star) from the former All-AL lineup. Corey Kluber, who joined as a free-agent 'rental' last time round, stays to lead the rotation, despite a poor 5.75 ERA. He'll be expected to be much more solid this season.

Walsall Lineup (vRHP): DH Harry Heilmann, 2B Nick Madrigal, CF Mike Trout, LF Juan Soto, 1B Lou Gehrig, C Yogi Berra, 3B Evan Longoria, RF Mookie Betts, SS Andrelton Simmons. Starting Rotation: Corey Kluber, Lucas Giolito, Luis Severino, Orlando Hernandez, Tommy John. Closer: Will Harris.

Milwaukee Northern Alliance nearly had a dream first season together, putting together a 98 win regular season, only to fall 3-2 in the Division Series, meaning they go again in Silver, albeit with a renewed vigour. The team that takes 'anyone at-or-above the geographical latitude of Milwaukee' also moves stadium for the first time - 2040 will be spent in the friendly confines of Target Field, Minnesota, after an initial stint at T-Mobile Park in Seattle. The lineup, notably the batting side, was very strong last season, and stays mostly the same, with the main upgrade being felt at the No.1 spot in the rotation, which sees the arrival of left-hander Jeff Fassero ('96 Hardware, Expos). After the mid-season arrival of Felix Hernandez ('14 All-Star, Mariners), and the outstanding performance of A J Burnett ('08 Hardware, Blue Jays), the Alliance are hopeful that their devastating hitting can be backed up by reliable pitching in their bid for another postseason berth.

Milwaukee Lineup (vRHP): CF Ichiro Suzuki, 1B Keston Hiura, RF Christian Yelich, DH Vladimir Guerrero Jr., SS Robin Yount, LF Ryan Braun, 2B Tommy Harper, C Yasmani Grandal, 3B Jeff Cirillo. Starting Rotation: Jeff Fassero, Felix Hernandez, A J Burnett, Cal Eldred, Dennis Martinez. Closer: Ken Giles.

Last edited by PocketsAintFull; 08-19-2019 at 09:19 AM.
PocketsAintFull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:36 AM   #3
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

edit: oops. delete?

Last edited by PocketsAintFull; 08-19-2019 at 09:42 AM.
PocketsAintFull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:39 AM   #4
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

In a late change to the advertised lineup (read: I forgot I'd made an AH bid overnight ) Stan Musial ('43 All-Star) joins the Birmingham Combined Alliance at RF! Hugh Duffy moves to LF, and Babe Ruth to DH.

Right, no more posting for me on the first page

(adjusted) Birmingham Lineup (vRHP): CF Pete Hill, RF Stan Musial, LF Hugh Duffy, DH Babe Ruth, 1B John O'Neil, 2B Frankie Frisch, C Ernie Lombardi, 3B Freddie Lindstrom, SS Ray Dandridge. Starting Rotation: Lefty Grove, Rube Foster, Bullet Joe Rogan, Wes Ferrell, Mel Harder. Closer: Leon Day.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:43 AM   #5
Marleigh
All Star Reserve

Paragon City Heroes were rebuilding last year and stuck in a stinker of a division (everyone finished over .500) hopefully this year will be better having Dykstra, Lonnie Smith and Plank for a full year, we have bolstered our pitchign in the offseason adding 92 Catfish Hunter to the rotation and 88 Lee Smith as closer plus doing the Taiwan mission to get the lefty reliever we needed. We did buy Derek Lowe earlier but i suspect he will be sold with the new collections coming out.

Bad News Bulldogs were promoted as champions, no changes made (they are a Reds team and have all of the collections done, any upgrades would cost way too much for me to care about so i'm simply gambling by opening packs)

Neuman Furshlugginers missed the playoffs last year, not really a great lineup, in silver, *checks 1st team in division* Scherzer, Keefe, Trout... oh well there's always next year

Marleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:10 AM   #6
old timer
Hall Of Famer

After 2 straight perfect championships, the Raccoons will be lucky to finish above .500 this season. I thought that there were only about 10 whales in this league, but there are even more plus some strong teams like mine. The Raccoons have a career .660 WPct and that's only 13th best in this league! 18 teams have records over .600 and the 18th place team is the USC Trojans, which is a pretty good team.

In my division we have the very tough Losers and SnowPlows. The AC East looks brutal and all of the divisions will be very tough. So it looks like the Raccoons will end up being roadkill this season. Well, it will at least be interesting since it's the 1st time I have no idea how we'll do.
Attached Images

Last edited by old timer; 08-19-2019 at 10:11 AM.
old timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:02 PM   #7
X3NEIZE
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by old timer View Post
After 2 straight perfect championships, the Raccoons will be lucky to finish above .500 this season. I thought that there were only about 10 whales in this league, but there are even more plus some strong teams like mine. The Raccoons have a career .660 WPct and that's only 13th best in this league! 18 teams have records over .600 and the 18th place team is the USC Trojans, which is a pretty good team.

In my division we have the very tough Losers and SnowPlows. The AC East looks brutal and all of the divisions will be very tough. So it looks like the Raccoons will end up being roadkill this season. Well, it will at least be interesting since it's the 1st time I have no idea how we'll do.
You will definitely finish way above .500.... over 600 actually.

X3NEIZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 01:08 PM   #8
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Never buy live relievers… there's no way to not get ****ed by live relievers… every - single - week.

Not much to say this time around. No chances to the Rebs compared to last week. The Raccoons ditched dismal Syndergaard, who has no problems running up a 7+ ERA in Perfect. Of course Lance Lynn instead dropped to gold.

(shrugs)

The most change is with the Accountants that moved Power Pete to DH for good, bringing in Freeman at first instead. Campanella is the new backstop (and likely the next historical diamond to annoy the living crap outta me), and I fiddled with pitching a bit, but to no great effect. Soroka was terrible in August and September, now dropped two points. Why not?

(shrugs)

Everything I ever did in a baseball game (or life in general) was always wrong.

Everything. Always.
Attached Images

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:22 PM   #9
diamond3017
Minors (Single A)

How do you get the live cards to display their updated ratings? For example, Eugenio Suarez is now an 86 but his card still displays 88 for me. I know someone posted a thread about this, but I can't find it.

diamond3017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:37 PM   #10
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
Everything I ever did in a baseball game (or life in general) was always wrong.

Everything. Always.
I don’t believe this. I am pretty sure you can always make the debits equal the credits.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:51 PM   #11
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
I don’t believe this. I am pretty sure you can always make the debits equal the credits.
It's not like my program lets me do otherwise. And I have tried, just for the giggles.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:02 PM   #12
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

I'm still stuck in Diamond with my F2P team. Picked up a few top-tier players to try and put me over the hump.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:27 PM   #13
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

The Frogs have landed in P406, AC East division this week.

Lo and behold, not a single whale in said division. It's a little odd looking around and seeing a total lack of 100 Cy Young, 100 Roger Clemens, 100 Ed Walsh, 100 Pedro Martinez, etc. I have 100 Christy Mathewson and another team has Tim Keefe, but otherwise no top echelon pitchers of note. In fact, I count zero whales in the AC of P406 so the Frogs should be in the hunt this week. Maybe even for best record.

The NC, on the other hand, looks very tough. The East includes both the Saint Paul Fighting Saints and the Malibu Waverunners fighting for the division. The Central will likely come down to the Battery Park City Tamps or the Chicago Cubbies. The wild card will be tough sledding over there.

The Frogs won 99 games last week and exited in wild card play, but it never felt like a completed project. 100 Christy Mathewson, 95 Satchel Paige, 100 Mike Trout, 96 Zack Greinke (Royals), and SE Mark Belanger were all added in midstream so most only got about 2/3 of a season. Or just a quarter of one in Greinke's case. They'll all be there from the get go in 2040. Other new faces: SE Lenny Dykstra, SE Rickey Henderson, 93 Garland Braxton, 96 Koji Uehara, and 96 Buster Posey. It almost feels like an entirely new team. I felt like the ruler of Swamp Castle from Monty Python for a while with how I'd purchase a Uehara, find out it had stats, and sank into the swamp--but the fourth one stayed up! And that's what you'll be getting lad...Anyhow finally got a mint Uehara. Wasn't as lucky with PEAK Mike Mussina, Willie Keeler, SE Luke Appling--all of which are being returned (or have already been returned) to the AH.

It should be an interesting week with all the new mission cards making their debuts. Good luck to all.

waittilnextyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:10 PM   #14
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond3017 View Post
how do you get the live cards to display their updated ratings? For example, eugenio suarez is now an 86 but his card still displays 88 for me. I know someone posted a thread about this, but i can't find it.
main -> perfect team home screen -> profile & settings -> troubleshooting -> reset player card cache

Old 08-19-2019, 06:22 PM   #15
old timer
Hall Of Famer

I know it's early and we did have a tough early schedule, but this doesn't look promising. We're currently in last place and close to the relegation zone.

Right now, we're 11th in R and 9th in RA. Our bullpen is 2nd in ERA, so it's our SPs that have been getting killed. But looking through the games we've played, it doesn't look like this will continue. Even in a normal league, we once had a month where we played under .500 so we I think we'll turn things around.

Edit: We just lost to one of the weaker teams 9-7 and Jay Bell hit 2 HRs and drove in 8 runs to help beat us. Jay Bell?! The RNG gods have it in for us.
Attached Images

Last edited by old timer; 08-19-2019 at 06:37 PM.
old timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:30 PM   #16
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

5-8 is competitive, if 3 of those go either way, 8-5 is possible...&...2 wild cards are up for grabs if not the division. I know the SnowPlows, they are good but 13 games is far too few to forecast.

Last edited by One Great Matrix; 08-19-2019 at 06:31 PM.
One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:42 PM   #17
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

SE 99 Rickey Henderson went 5/5 and stole 2 bases in his first start for the Frogs. Was a triple shy of the cycle. How about that for a debut? Plus, he's a hot dog.

Last edited by waittilnextyear; 08-19-2019 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:50 PM   #18
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Rickey's awesome. I have that card for 2+ seasons now. He was ejected from game #1 of the postseason yesterday for arguing a 3rd strike.

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:20 PM   #19
Argonaut
All Star Starter

My backup IF Tulo has a 5.000 OPS to start the season.

And it was a grand slam too.
Attached Images
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:47 PM   #20
brrrdt1
Minors (Single A)

I'm also a big fan of SE Rickey. He's been my starting CF for the past 6 seasons, only one WAR under 6.0, has stolen 80+ bases every season but one, 125+ runs scored all but one season, and 20+ homers in all but one season. I've thought about trying to get a Mays to replace him, but I irrationally kind of love him, despite the crappy AVG and sub-optimal OBP.

brrrdt1 is offline   Reply With Quote