Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 07-21-2019, 01:44 PM   #1
Stick50
Minors (Single A)

4 man rotation

Has anyone had much success at the perfect level with a 4 man rotation?

Obviously which 4 SP matters, but just as a general question.

Also if you did a 4 man rotation did you put them on a pitch count?

Obviously I assume a 3 man is out of the question
Old 07-22-2019, 05:52 AM   #2
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

I didn't stick with it but I went 8-3 in one stretch of the regular season, almost 2 full turns of starters on 3/4 days rest, rather than 4/5 days rest.

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 03:35 PM   #3
SpacePope
Minors (Single A)

I spent most of my last season running a 4 man rotation in Perfect. On balance it was working fine. I had the roster spots to spare on more pitchers, just didn't have any other perfect-worthy starters. My squad was well over 500 despite having only 10, not amazing, pitchers.

It caught up to me at one point and I lost a game 40 to 11! (the other guy said his team made over 17k PP on that one game!) It seems my pitchers were all icing their arms, so my position players tried their stuff against some of histories best bats. Obviously, it didn't end well. Still, it was just one loss and my pitchers were back to normal the following game.

There are other people who go with a 4 man rotation more out of choice. I've even seen 3 man rotations. For a 4 man rotation during the regular season, I believe the main thing is to actually have a fairly deep bullpen with plenty of converted SPs (the strategy is definitely not to do what I was doing and just be very picky for half a week on the AH to fill an obvious need). The penalty of running an SP on their second day of yellow rest doesn't seem to be very noticable. I've no idea what the strategy of a 3 man rotation is.
SpacePope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 04:51 PM   #4
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

40-11, yikes, yeah maybe you gotta keep that Emergency SP in the pen. Or even 2 to make it the normal 6.

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 01:27 PM   #5
Stick50
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacePope View Post
I spent most of my last season running a 4 man rotation in Perfect. On balance it was working fine. I had the roster spots to spare on more pitchers, just didn't have any other perfect-worthy starters. My squad was well over 500 despite having only 10, not amazing, pitchers.

It caught up to me at one point and I lost a game 40 to 11! (the other guy said his team made over 17k PP on that one game!) It seems my pitchers were all icing their arms, so my position players tried their stuff against some of histories best bats. Obviously, it didn't end well. Still, it was just one loss and my pitchers were back to normal the following game.

There are other people who go with a 4 man rotation more out of choice. I've even seen 3 man rotations. For a 4 man rotation during the regular season, I believe the main thing is to actually have a fairly deep bullpen with plenty of converted SPs (the strategy is definitely not to do what I was doing and just be very picky for half a week on the AH to fill an obvious need). The penalty of running an SP on their second day of yellow rest doesn't seem to be very noticable. I've no idea what the strategy of a 3 man rotation is.
Did any of your 4 SP have a pitch count? Also what did your bullpen look like? Im in a similar boat where i cant find (or dont want to spend the $$) for a SP of decent quality.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:20 PM   #6
SpacePope
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick50 View Post
Did any of your 4 SP have a pitch count? Also what did your bullpen look like? Im in a similar boat where i cant find (or dont want to spend the $$) for a SP of decent quality.
No pitch counts and very hitter friendly park. I really wasn't trying at all at the start of the season. I had just sold off most of my team and was looking to rebuild. I definitely wasn't doing it right.

I still wouldn't use pitch counts for a 4 rotation team, but I would make the park less hitter friendly if I had to do over again. Mostly I wouldn't use a pitch count because I think starter fatigue has less to do with the number of pitches and more to do with having pitched at all. Not sure it that's accurate, but that's my impression.
SpacePope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:37 AM   #7
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

Well I’m trying a 4-man rotation in Perfect with two Emergency Starters (one a long man in the pen, the other a middle reliever) Three of four starters are diamond, the other + 2 ESes are gold. So far am 4 games under .500 but we are a traditionally slow-starting team anyway.

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb
BigRed75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:30 AM   #8
thehatfield
All Star Starter

Been debating. Seems like a smart strategy especially in the lower leagues while building up your deck.

SBC - Western Suburbs Magpies

no pressure no problem

thehatfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:43 AM   #9
Argonaut
All Star Starter

I found with a 4-man rotation and an emergency starter, that the emergency starter never actually started. The rotation was often quite gassed. Don't think I'm interested in a 4-man setup outside of the playoffs. Or in my case while I was selling one of my dudes.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote