Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:59 PM   #21
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

I don't think this is a fun what-if at all. But if you're forcing my hand, I think I would quit OOTP if they offered me the commissioner's job. That is what you were asking, right?
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:03 PM   #22
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
Why are you so cruel to your fellow humans?

I must pick OOTP.

(cancels MLB.tv subscription while dissolving in tears)
Tough choice for you eh? Your beloved Mets lighting up the transaction wire versus your beloved Raccoons. I guess the good thing for you is that there is no wrong answer.

OOTP post re-FG IDs here: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...postcount=3198

My DB which restores Fed Leaguers here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZoN...B2GCcULxt/view

Instructions for the DB: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...07&postcount=9

actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:28 AM   #23
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

I choose OOTP

because real baseball is 240 miles for the Tigers, and my beloved Beach Bums are gone, swept away for the "Pit Spitters". Sweet Crispy Venus on Buttered Toast Points, who the hell picks out these team names?
It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.—Thomas Sowell
"Alinsky works for me now."
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:36 AM   #24
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Cobb View Post
because real baseball is 240 miles for the Tigers, and my beloved Beach Bums are gone, swept away for the "Pit Spitters". Sweet Crispy Venus on Buttered Toast Points, who the hell picks out these team names?
I was bummed to hear about the Bums, but I did like the first Pit Spitters logo I saw.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:25 PM   #25
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

ootp.

my local team is likely a dumpster fire for at least the near future, and i don't have any confidence in ownership.

pecking order of gaming entertainment to lump things together:

RL games (involved, not spectating) > video games > spectating

spectating amounts to unformfortable seating, $10 beers that get warm as ..., and half the time i go i get stuck behind someone with giantism that blocks 1/3rd of my view. plus, it's downtown detroit and smells like one giant open sewer.

if it's colder, you can go steam yourself by standing near a manhole cover... <puked in my mouth a bit>
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:36 PM   #26
koohead
Hall Of Famer

Just for this year correct?
I'm going with MLB for me...I can live with putting my fictional OOTP universe on hold until Oct knowing it'll be right there in the same state I left it.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:06 PM   #27
Reed
All Star Starter

I enjoy OOTP about 300 days a year. I enjoy MLB about 15 days a year. Free Agency, greedy players, greedy owners, DH/non DH, inter league play has ruined MLB for me.
I sadly would have to pick OOTP.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 05:32 PM   #28
tward13
All Star Starter

Real Mets games, then OOTP, then the rest of MLB
tward13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 12:39 AM   #29
Germaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed View Post
I enjoy OOTP about 300 days a year. I enjoy MLB about 15 days a year. Free Agency, greedy players, greedy owners, DH/non DH, inter league play has ruined MLB for me.
I sadly would have to pick OOTP.
I agree. And when you look at the insane money the players get ... Machado 10 years/$ 300 mill., Arenado 8 year/$ 260 mill. extension and now Harper for 13 years/$ 330 mill.

This is completely out of hand.

I have no problem handing out this money in OOTP, but I hate to see this in real life.
that might not be a satisfactory answer.

Happy Chandler, 1947
Germaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:59 AM   #30
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

I have problems handing out this sort of money even in OOTP...

...which is why the Raccoons just signed routinely awesome semi-ace SP Tom Shumway to a 5-yr, $16.5m contract ...! It makes me sleep at night.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:46 PM   #31
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappa1 View Post
I choose real baseball. But it's fading fast with all the stupid new rules they come up with. That's what ultimately will finally drive me away. They keep saying how they're losing fan interest, so they need to make new rules. Well, so far the fan interest is still going down. Did they ever think, gee, maybe we're making it worse instead of better? No. They don't ever think it's there own fault.
I agree. Baseball has to remember that tradition and history is a major appeal of baseball. Even during the steroid era, before we realized that it was the steroids that were setting the new records, it was the history-making that got everyone excited.

Keep changing it and you will lose people. And the short-term profits of commercials from having mostly night games, including for World Series games, and even regular season games on Saturdays and Sundays means they have lost whole generations to baseball because kids never saw a World Series game.

So, the balance might be going to OOTP, though for now, it is MLB in the Summer, OOTP in the Winter. (and well, while watching MLB games in the Spring and Summer too !).
italyprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 11:44 PM   #32
Mariner and Giants Fan
All Star Starter

I only play OOTP because of my love for MLB. So MLB is my pick to keep and just play another one of the dozens of MLB games out there. Though I would miss OOTP for sure.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:11 PM   #33
fredbeene
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarideki View Post
I'd have to say I'd pick to keep OOTP just because the barrage of mid-game advertising in trying to watch or even listen to an actual MLB game feels like way too much for me. Plus, OOTP works better with my daily life because when work gets hectic I know I can pick up right where I left off the night before managing my Tigers to hopefully not the worst record in my current day MLB setup. Even if I had to only play fictional and forego the current MLB in OOTP, I'd still find a lot of enjoyment in crafting my universe. Plus, I'd have you all to share it with if I did.
No brainer....OOTPBP..... I NEVER watch real sports anymore...love affair long gone....
I DESPERATELY want better PBP and text to speech......want to craft and replay leagues and listen as podcasts....
more fun than MLB
fredbeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 09:13 PM   #34
fredbeene
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbman View Post
I would choose OOTP because I get to see baseball played by my heroes and I get to relive those wonderful pennant races of summers past.
YES - i want to relive a decade and check OOTPB instead of the newspaper checking box scores etc : )
Old 03-02-2019, 09:15 PM   #35
fredbeene
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
I do know this, last week when Manny Machado signed with the Padres, I was more interested in the fact that Mickey Mantle had just made the decision to leave the Kansas City Foxes in favor of a free agent deal with the Dallas Axemen. That Mike Schmidt said goodbye to Cleveland to head to Pittsburgh.
lolol love it....
i'll add....during the super bowl...i had MORE FUN and enjoyment guiding my bronze league team with bronze scrubs to the WS win than the game!

ha i'd rather follow the Kansas City Foxes!!!! go Foxes!!
Old 03-02-2019, 11:15 PM   #36
tejdog1
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpd376 View Post
So you mean ruining the most exciting play in sports (play at the plate) wasn't a good idea? I'd be for rule changes to restore pace of play and the balance that made baseball great.

So for the original question OOTP by a mile.
So you'd rather see catchers with legs broken?
Also, no. Triples. By far triples.
How I turn my head and lose it all

And it's unnerving
How just one move puts me by myself
There you go just trusting someone else
Now I know I put us both through hell

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Everyone knows it's spelled "TRAID", not trade
tejdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 11:16 PM   #37
tejdog1
All Star Starter

OOTP because in OOTP I can ignore the Wilpons and actually do what I want as GM and make the Mets great.
How I turn my head and lose it all

And it's unnerving
How just one move puts me by myself
There you go just trusting someone else
Now I know I put us both through hell

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Everyone knows it's spelled "TRAID", not trade
tejdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:15 AM   #38
neugey
All Star Reserve

Tough. I'll say OOTP, and hope for a great Wimbledon.
neugey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 02:41 PM   #39
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

yeah i'd say the greed doesn't lie with the labor force, either.

are they paid too much to play baseball? yeah, it's a game and it's not that important.

are they paid what they deserve relative to the mass amounts of profits they generate? absolutely not.

scale is no understood when you get into the billions... or even the millions for some people. it's too big of a number to grasp for most people. plus, there's no real information on the actual cash flows of the MLB because they are all privately held entities that do not have to publish their financial records.

who should get most of th emoney... the people everyone comes to watch or some rich dbag with an expensive toy? they do nothing... you don't come to watch some 80-year old billionaire that's so cheap they pay $59 for an old fashioned at a day spa.

the players aren't greedy. they are demanding what they deserve. if other people wouldn't tear down othe rlabor forces, maybe ~1/2 of the population here wouldn't be living check-to-check with horrible healthcare and lower-quality products across the board...

ffs, you don't even get the safety features in cars at the same time as more wealthy people. i don't get the self-hating labor people... i think it's just bitterness that someone else is successful and they aren't. hardly a baseball player's fault -- inequalities of life.

the fantacism of ~1/5th of the population causes most of the things people get bitter about... your own interest makes them wealthy. it doesn't happen without that to start. sports fans are a sever minority. that ~20% causes public money to be extorted from local municipalities. mlb is a plague, at the moment... it's not the player's greed that is at fault. it's the fans and the owners.

Last edited by NoOne; 03-03-2019 at 02:44 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:14 PM   #40
DaBears
Major Leagues

Wow, that is a really hard question. Until two or three years ago, I would have absolutely said, "MLB all day every day, OOTP is just a computer game." But, OOTP coming out with 3-D, and then improving it so much so quickly, combined with MLB becoming a relatively boring string of guys walking to plate to fidget with bats, gloves, cleats, etc., strike out, and walk back to the dugout, catchers visiting the mound more often in a game than I visit anyone I know in a year (at least they put a cap on this), and listening to the never-ending carping of the players against management and management against the players, it's a tough call now.

My heart says I cannot give up the real life game - but I admit that I care more about my OOTP team now and also find myself in the third inning of a real life game with no idea who is even winning, while I can tell you my fifth outfielder's wOBA against lefties with runners in scoring position (he's really good, by the way). So, I "say" real life, while admitting I'm not completely sure if that's true anymore.
DaBears is offline   Reply With Quote