Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion Talk about our latest hockey manager game, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 06-26-2017, 02:13 PM   #1
DFyvie
Major Leagues

What makes a power-forward?

So this has been bothering me for awhile. I use tactics that require a power-forward. I acquire a big guy that is strong and likes to mix it up a bit and according to the tactics screen he's a 3/3.. which is not what I thought he would be.

Case in point:

I am the GM of the 2000 Calgary Flames. I currently have Dave Lowry on the topline as my Power-forward. He's good for the role and the game gives him a 4/4 as a Power-Forward. He's also my captain while a young Jerome learns the ropes. Name:  Screen Shot 2017-06-26 at 19.01.11.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  128.5 KB
Name:  Screen Shot 2017-06-26 at 19.00.52.png
Views: 258
Size:  116.3 KB
In case Lowry gets hurt (it will probably happen) I have a young Jason Wiemer toiling on the 3rd line. He has very similar ratings to Lowry (not quite as decent with the puck as Lowry) but he's big/strong/mean. Name:  Screen Shot 2017-06-26 at 19.01.55.png
Views: 241
Size:  481.7 KBYou put him in the power-forward role and he's a 3/3. Name:  Screen Shot 2017-06-26 at 19.02.11.png
Views: 270
Size:  334.9 KB
What gives? What makes a Power-forward?
DFyvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:03 AM   #2
JeffR
FHM Producer

The primary power forward rating requirements are Strength, Bravery, Aggression, Screening, and Balance. Basically, the farther the player's ratings are above a baseline number in each attribute (it varies between 12-16 pro-rated to league level, IIRC), the better he'll be at playing that role.

Lowry fits well mainly because his aggression rating is so high - he's one of those cases where it's a little tough for me to rate that category over the length of his career because his PIM in the first half of his career are about three times as high per game as they were at the end. He did actually project as a power forward coming into the league - decent size for the mid-80's and big junior and AHL/IHL scoring numbers -0 - but didn't produce enough offensively to do that at an NHL level (other than in the Panthers run to the finals), so he wound up in a checking role as his career went on. I'll have a look at his ratings in the database, I think I do need to tone down that aggressiveness a bit, and maybe some of his offensive skills as well.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:17 AM   #3
DFyvie
Major Leagues

I think his offensive numbers aren't too bad. He did have a short resurgence with the Flames in 2000 scoring 18 goals. I remember at the time being a bit surprised. With re-calc on he would probably regress back into a 3rd/4th line role.

But thanks for the clarification on the Power-Forward characteristics.. I figured Screening had something to do with it, wasn't sure. I suspected balance was included (doesn't matter how tough/strong/brave you are if you can't stay on your feet).
DFyvie is offline   Reply With Quote