Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion Talk about our latest hockey manager game, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 11-01-2016, 10:19 AM   #1
dgally
Bat Boy

Coaching Advantage?

I started a game with the Blues. Set up my tactics and roles using the best ones I could.

Now I am 7-13-3 and I feel like it's not particularly warranted.

I am in the bottom 10 of all categories.

I have never once gotten coaching advantage. I rarely get tactical advantage even though I have several major or minor countering roles.

My powerplay is literally 8%. Nearly unheard of. I don't get what I am doing wrong...but it feels like absolute luck if I win a game.

Halps.
dgally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:04 AM   #2
dgally
Bat Boy

Update:

The murder continues.
3 consecutive shutouts.
3 losses after being up (Stars came back from 4-0)
and a lose from the Canadiens where I was outshot 41-16 and they had all advantages plus full momentum every period after 15 min mark. It was NHL vs peewees.

Annnnd destroyed by the Islanders (who are just above me in last) 6-1! (This was actually a guess when it was 3-1...ended being worse at 7-2) Never saw tactical advantage even though I had 5 Major and 4 Minor counterings....

Oh and I didn't score on a single PP during this time.

I mean I could become better as a coach maybe? But at this point, I am guessing I will get fired first...

Last edited by dgally; 11-01-2016 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-01-2016, 11:38 AM   #3
MXD
Minors (Double A)

...PtG ?I started my PtG game in the juniors (for the sake of realism and because junior games are kinda cool anyways). I rarely get Coaching Advantage, but I guess the gap between me (and my skills) and the other coach is much more reasonable) than it would be if I was to start in the NHL.Because that's the thing in PtG (and possibly in sandbox too) : your attributes are really bad. I don't know if there's a thing to be done with this.
MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:00 PM   #4
dgally
Bat Boy

Yeah, it's in PtG - is there a way to increase your attributes in any way?

If the gap is that great, a fix needs to be made otherwise even the best team is doomed with your coaching leadership...

Last edited by dgally; 11-01-2016 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:09 PM   #5
MXD
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgally View Post
Yeah, it's in PtG - is there a way to increase your attributes in any way?

If the gap is that great, a fix needs to be made otherwise even the best team is doomed with your coaching leadership...
...Or maybe PtG is more appropriate for... humm... humble beginnings? Like Junior CHL, EIHL or Ligue Magnus?
MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 01:03 PM   #6
dgally
Bat Boy

But I don't wanna be humble...this time.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:30 PM   #7
no way
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgally View Post
But I don't wanna be humble...this time.
Then if you wanna change your atributes you would have to play sandbox game (which you can play exactly same way as Path to glory) and enable Comisioner mode then you can change your manager attributes.
no way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 01:51 PM   #8
Torgonius
All Star Reserve

Ideally, PtG mode would consider your chosen starting level and let you allocate a scalable number of points when you begin.
Torgonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 03:19 PM   #9
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
...PtG ?I started my PtG game in the juniors (for the sake of realism and because junior games are kinda cool anyways). I rarely get Coaching Advantage, but I guess the gap between me (and my skills) and the other coach is much more reasonable) than it would be if I was to start in the NHL.Because that's the thing in PtG (and possibly in sandbox too) : your attributes are really bad. I don't know if there's a thing to be done with this.
I wondered about this a lot playing the BETA. If I'm a rookie GM/coach in the NHL will I just be run over? Will I not be able to make trades in my favor etc? Scaling would be nice a'la FM.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

http://www.medicsbk.com

The Sports Medic
AlpineSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 03:40 PM   #10
JeffR
FHM Producer

I think we may need to look at the starting coaching skill levels when you begin a career in the NHL (or any higher-level league, for that matter.) Unless you dump points into tactics, you're going to be at a constant disadvantage during games for the first few seasons until you can build up that rating.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 06:56 PM   #11
Romagoth
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
I think we may need to look at the starting coaching skill levels when you begin a career in the NHL (or any higher-level league, for that matter.) Unless you dump points into tactics, you're going to be at a constant disadvantage during games for the first few seasons until you can build up that rating.
...if you last that long.
Romagoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 03:19 AM   #12
last
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by no way View Post
Then if you wanna change your atributes you would have to play sandbox game (which you can play exactly same way as Path to glory) and enable Comisioner mode then you can change your manager attributes.
As far as I can tell even in a sandbox game with commissioner mode enabled you can only change these attributes and therefore these attributes (except player management and negotiating skill) are unable to be increased. I've played through a season in sandbox mode and the option to dump more points into things that occurs at the end of a season in path to glory doesn't seem to occur leaving me stuck with a skill of 5 for tactical ability. Had I known I would've dumped all my points into it to start with!
last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:10 AM   #13
Rooney
Bat Boy

Yeah it's an issue at the moment, my team has been losing a lot of games because of it, very annoying. I hope you guys fix it soon
Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 01:22 PM   #14
tylerjlc
Bat Boy

This seems to be a pretty big issue. Playing as the Leafs I'm routinely giving up 5+ goals, (10-0, 9-1 are a few of the lopsided games). I've won 2 of 19 games.
tylerjlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 11:11 PM   #15
pucku33
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerjlc View Post
This seems to be a pretty big issue. Playing as the Leafs I'm routinely giving up 5+ goals, (10-0, 9-1 are a few of the lopsided games). I've won 2 of 19 games.
A brand new coach that has never coached at any level before will always be at a disadvantage. Realism isn't an issue at all.
pucku33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:35 AM   #16
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerjlc View Post
The tactical advantage effects are significant, but not that significant. You may want to try a different tactic, particularly if you notice you're having trouble finding many players rated with 4-5 dots at their tactical role.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:37 AM   #17
Torgonius
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
The tactical advantage effects are significant, but not that significant. You may want to try a different tactic, particularly if you notice you're having trouble finding many players rated with 4-5 dots at their tactical role.
Could we get added to the scouting report an entry on what tactical role(s) best suit that player? It could fit under Ability or Current Role.
Torgonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:34 AM   #18
Rooney
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucku33 View Post
A brand new coach that has never coached at any level before will always be at a disadvantage. Realism isn't an issue at all.
If we go for realism in this case we wouldn't be able to play because a brand new coach wouldn't be in the NHL, so the disadvantage is an issue.

Last edited by Rooney; 11-03-2016 at 09:41 AM.
Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:44 PM   #19
dgally
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torognius View Post
Could we get added to the scouting report an entry on what tactical role(s) best suit that player? It could fit under Ability or Current Role.
This would be huge - while it's clear with your 1st line, sometimes 2nd, the 3rd and 4th line can be a crapshoot at time as they are littered with 3 dots.

Also, not sure if anyone can clear this up...the countering roles? Do you want those red/yellow dashes? Or is it you being countered. I had 6 reds and 4 yellows against the Avs recently and got throttled 16 shots to 2 in the 1st period. And I don't think I sacrificed a single dot...

And I agree on the sandbox. You can't edit some of the skills and even pouring them all into tactics isn't enough to be competitive with 98% of the time in coaching advantage.

I've also noticed that momentum can shift to max within 1:30 mins into a period. It's way to fast. This seems to be really tough to come back from and can result in getting steamrolled in a single period. After you get past 5 mins in, the momentum appears to be a lot more fluid.

Last edited by dgally; 11-03-2016 at 12:48 PM.
Old 11-03-2016, 02:22 PM   #20
dgally
Bat Boy

Also noticing a near unrealistic amount of penalties. Like 9-12 a game - for both sides. Even when tactics point to avoiding penalties.

And it's kind of unclear on who is on the penalty as sometimes when someone scores a PP the penalty doesn't go away.