Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 10-05-2014, 09:33 AM   #1
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer

1,000 Free Agents Rated at 1/1?

I am in a league in which I am taking over a slightly below average team with the worst farm system in the league. I also got dumped into the league at the end of July and missed the international FA signing period. I have a long road to hoe, but I have to start somewhere.

Right now, since the draft isn't until next June, I need to beat the free agent bushes for some talent to stock my system. There are about a thousand free agents out there with one star actual and potential ratings, to match the preponderance of lower level guys I got stuck with in my own system.

My question is: how can I efficiently approach evaluating this list of 1,000 guys versus the value of the guys in my system? They all kind of look alike at first blush, so I could use a tip on approach here.

Bonus question: I would like to download all the free agents to a file to look at all of them at once, but all my game is allowing me to do is to write report to disk one page at a time. There are over 40 pages of guys, so I don't want to have to replicate this 40 times to get an entire list.

I appreciate whatever help--thanks!
chucksabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:46 AM   #2
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Bonus question: I would like to download all the free agents to a file to look at all of them at once, but all my game is allowing me to do is to write report to disk one page at a time. There are over 40 pages of guys, so I don't want to have to replicate this 40 times to get an entire list.
Not 100% on this one. I think you can control this in preferences from the opening menu for the game.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:47 AM   #3
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
My question is: how can I efficiently approach evaluating this list of 1,000 guys versus the value of the guys in my system? They all kind of look alike at first blush, so I could use a tip on approach here.
What scale are you using for ratings/potentials?
Stats only?
Scouting on?
How many levels of minors?
Old 10-05-2014, 09:49 AM   #4
Bristolduke
All Star Starter

I'll address the latter first. There may not be a way around this due to the large number (I had to do 90 once). However, it is linked to how you show your lists. If you have the page display on then that is what gets used for the list. So switch to scroll display. There is a limit (size, memory, etc) where I think OOTP will always use the page format.

Happy coping and pasting!
As for how, the technique I use in reviewing the FA, is will they perform better in my park or system. So find what key attributes you want and filter there. Then see if they can be an improvement.
Commish of the On-Line Dynasty League
SIMBL2 - Westbury Cannons
Great Lakes Baseball - Toledo Neptunes
World Baseball - Guantanamo Marines
OMLB - Cincinnati Reds
Bristolduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:02 AM   #5
RchW
Hall Of Famer

What about exporting data to csv files?

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 12:49 PM   #6
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You can try filtering by age. I sign players 23 and under to develop (usually) and 25 and up to plug holes.
Try filtering by age and see if that takes you out of pages and into the list so you can export in one batch.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:15 PM   #7
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksabr View Post
Just export your league's rosters, the fa's will also be in the exported file. Then change the file extension from .txt to .csv and open in excel/oo. You can then delete the non fa's from the file and just leave the fa's in the file and then you can sort them by individual ratings to your hearts content
Lukas Berger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:54 PM   #8
OakDragon
Hall Of Famer

Well, if you've got thousands of guys and they're all ones, I'd start by eliminating all the guys who are not high on intelligence and work ethic. They're likely the only ones who are going to progress from there anyway. That ought to narrow the field quite a bit.
OakDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:44 PM   #9
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
Just export your league's rosters, the fa's will also be in the exported file. Then change the file extension from .txt to .csv and open in excel/oo. You can then delete the non fa's from the file and just leave the fa's in the file and then you can sort them by individual ratings to your hearts content
I'm in an online league which prevents us from looking at league setup, and that's the only way I know how to do it. Is there a way outside of league setup where I can do this?
Old 10-06-2014, 12:04 AM   #10
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
I'm in an online league which prevents us from looking at league setup, and that's the only way I know how to do it. Is there a way outside of league setup where I can do this?
Ah.

I don't think it can be done in an online league. I don't play online, so don't really know for sure, but I'm betting it's not possible.
Lukas Berger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 01:17 PM   #11
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
Ah.

I don't think it can be done in an online league. I don't play online, so don't really know for sure, but I'm betting it's not possible.
Yeah, i thought this would be the case. I did ask the league commissioner to download the CSV files for me, so I hope he will help me with this as well.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:35 PM   #12
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakDragon View Post
Well, if you've got thousands of guys and they're all ones, I'd start by eliminating all the guys who are not high on intelligence and work ethic. They're likely the only ones who are going to progress from there anyway. That ought to narrow the field quite a bit.
To be clear, I think what you mean is that by eliminating the guy on the lower end of the intelligence and work ethic scale, the remaining guys are the ones who stand the best chance of progressing. Do I have that straight? Also, did you test for this, or are you saying this is basically common sense?
Old 10-06-2014, 01:58 PM   #13
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
To be clear, I think what you mean is that by eliminating the guy on the lower end of the intelligence and work ethic scale, the remaining guys are the ones who stand the best chance of progressing. Do I have that straight? Also, did you test for this, or are you saying this is basically common sense?
It's widely accepted that higher work ethic and intelligence and the desire to win give players a better chance to develop.

As for all those 1/1 guys, try changing your relative ratings settings. Guys who remain 1/1 when set to Class A are not likely to develop, but you should see some guys have their ratings jump when compared to Class A (or whatever level you choose), meaning that they'd be good or great players at Class A, and that'll help you differentiate between guys. This is a useful tool when the draft comes around, too.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:55 PM   #14
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
It's widely accepted that higher work ethic and intelligence and the desire to win give players a better chance to develop.
So it's received wisdom. OK.

Quote:
As for all those 1/1 guys, try changing your relative ratings settings. Guys who remain 1/1 when set to Class A are not likely to develop, but you should see some guys have their ratings jump when compared to Class A (or whatever level you choose), meaning that they'd be good or great players at Class A, and that'll help you differentiate between guys. This is a useful tool when the draft comes around, too.
I don't think this is available in 14, is it? Because that's what the game is being played in. If it is, where would I find it?
Old 10-06-2014, 05:07 PM   #15
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So it's received wisdom. OK.

I don't think this is available in 14, is it? Because that's what the game is being played in. If it is, where would I find it?
It's not, sorry. Just assumed you were in 15 since this is the, ummm, boards for 15.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:09 PM   #16
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's not, sorry. Just assumed you were in 15 since this is the, ummm, boards for 15.
Yeah, but no one hangs out in the boards for 14 anymore.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:14 PM   #17
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, but no one hangs out in the boards for 14 anymore.
No doubt. I couldn't care less if you post here about 14, just let us know you're specifically talking about 14 when you post.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:09 PM   #18
OakDragon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Correct. Intelligence and work ethic increase the chance of developing.
OakDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:44 AM   #19
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No doubt. I couldn't care less if you post here about 14, just let us know you're specifically talking about 14 when you post.
But then the board nazis will come and demand you post in the 14 board without even reading the post or offering help.

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:43 AM   #20
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
But then the board nazis will come and demand you post in the 14 board without even reading the post or offering help.
Yeah, that will happen, and maybe that's what the mods want (which is up to them to decide). But it'll also save people time by making sure all suggestions are appropriate. Otherwise, it's the equivalent of a wild goose chase.