Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 03-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #1
Thundercrack
All Star Reserve

So how are people planning on using Associations?

Not that familiar with how this feature should or could be used, but sounds intriguing. What say you?
Thundercrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
Cornelius McGillicuddy
Banned

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
If I decide to play fictional I might setup some independent minor leagues but probably not unless Markus introduces the ability to trade cash for a player.
Cornelius McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
Cras
Hall Of Famer

while the idea is nice, and I may use it in the future, when my league matures beyond real life (I am running a historical fictional league based on MLB, so I follow what MLB did in its histroy).

but for the time being, I will import that league and stick with the sub-league mechanism for the American and National Leagues. They do the job well enough at the moment. Maybe should I find myself restarting the chornology and starting 1876 NL will I consider Associations.
2000, 2005, 2008 American League Central Division Champions
1983, 1993 American League West Division Champions

OOTP | Orbiter | SSMS | FSX | LoL | MLP:FIM!
Cras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:36 PM   #4
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
We should definitely be able to trade cash for players.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:14 PM   #5
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack View Post
Not that familiar with how this feature should or could be used, but sounds intriguing. What say you?
I'm still waiting for all of the details. Because it is such a hard thing to implement I'm guessing its not going to be everything that everbody wants yet. But this go 'round will be a great starting point for future changes.

Basically, it will allow you to set up a worldwide post season. You could have ten leagues from ten countries associate and compete against each other in the post season. As of now there is no inter-association play or all-star, so it sounds like associations are mainly for post-season play. Not sure yet if associations only occur upon league creation and then don't change or they can change over time. Again, we need to hear more.
Pre-OOTP 23 Custom Cap & Jersey Template v3.0 by Deft and NoPepper (with layers from other various artists) that I use: Caps, Jerseys
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
DreamTeams
Hall Of Famer

I'm interested in having 4 leagues with six teams each and no interleague play. Eventually, the champion from each league will participate in a post season playoff. The overall association will unfold historically with each coming into existence at different timelines.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:42 PM   #7
RMc
All Star Starter

I'm already planning a universe in which the Players League war with the National League (1890s) ends in a victory for the PL, dismantling the NL and basically shattering everything to pieces, with major league baseball sprouting all over the continent (and eventually, the world)...
Old 03-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #8
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Not really intending to plug my work but, here, I have a world spanning 1871-now which I will use associaitions with a lot in the 1800s and early to mid 1900s.
Pre-OOTP 23 Custom Cap & Jersey Template v3.0 by Deft and NoPepper (with layers from other various artists) that I use: Caps, Jerseys
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:09 AM   #9
DustinthePOWERHOUSE
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMc View Post
I'm already planning a universe in which the Players League war with the National League (1890s) ends in a victory for the PL, dismantling the NL and basically shattering everything to pieces, with major league baseball sprouting all over the continent (and eventually, the world)...
That sounds awesome by the way...
DustinthePOWERHOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:56 PM   #10
Lazy Horse
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I was working on a "what if" game involving the creation of the Continental League. I know this feature is going to help me solve a lot of the problems I was coming across. Can't wait.
Lazy Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:24 PM   #11
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Remember, associations can't play interleague, just playoffs. That means no IL/AA setup, but IL/PCL is possible.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:54 AM   #12
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Horse View Post
I was working on a "what if" game involving the creation of the Continental League. I know this feature is going to help me solve a lot of the problems I was coming across. Can't wait.
I've been wanting to do the same thing for several years. Unfortunately, I don't think the association functionality will truly be able to simulate this, but it might provide something useful.

I think the biggest problem would be an inability to have players from MLB leave and sign with CL clubs. If there is no free agency in MLB, I don't think players could leave when their contracts expire. So you'd have to turn on free agency in MLB to see players leave for a rival league.

Based on what I've heard about the new associations tool, there could be other limitations as well.
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:03 PM   #13
Cinnamon J. Scudworth
All Star Starter

I bet this idea has probably been done before, but I've been doing some research on the attempts to promote baseball in Britain in the 1890s and 1930s. I've been thinking about trying a fictional-historical league for the first time and want to incorporate this. Taking things up in 1946, I'm thinking I could use the associations feature to have an "Atlantic Cup" between the MLB and a fictional post-war UK league that gains prominence with the participation of several American stars.
"Sometimes, this is like going to a grocery store. You’ve got a list until you get to the check-out stand. And then you start reading People magazine, and all this other [stuff] ends up in the basket."

-Sandy Alderson on the MLB offseason
Cinnamon J. Scudworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #14
CBL-Commish
All Star Starter

My first thought was to have a championship series between my Contintenal League and the Majors. And I'm really interested in the combined draft pools, although I doubt it's going to be implemented in the way I'd like (competing leagues can draft whomever they like, and then have to fight it out to sign the players).
Old 03-20-2012, 06:29 PM   #15
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBL-Commish View Post
My first thought was to have a championship series between my Contintenal League and the Majors. And I'm really interested in the combined draft pools, although I doubt it's going to be implemented in the way I'd like (competing leagues can draft whomever they like, and then have to fight it out to sign the players).
Technically, it's when leagues are not in an association together that they have competing drafts, e.g. the NFL and AFL in the 1960s prior to the merger agreement.

What OOTP is not able to give you yet is a truly dynamic world before leagues decide to cooperate by forming an association. That's something for future development. Associations open the door to that sort of dynamic universe, so it's an important step along that evolutionary road.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:21 PM   #16
JDevil
All Star Reserve

Does anyone know if different leagues can have different financials? IE a league with a salary cap and a league without?
JDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:53 PM   #17
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDevil View Post
Does anyone know if different leagues can have different financials? IE a league with a salary cap and a league without?
If I remember correctly from what Markus has explained, everything that you normally access in League Setup can be different between your associated leagues. That includes Financials. The universal settings that apply to all leagues will be all the others like Global Setup, Player & Picture Options, AI Options, etc.

However, I think you will be able to set some rules that will be shared among your leagues. Like the draft and free agency, obviously, because leagues will be able to share draft pools and free agents if you want.
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:09 PM   #18
JDevil
All Star Reserve

Excellent !!
JDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:58 AM   #19
CBL-Commish
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Hough View Post
If I remember correctly from what Markus has explained, everything that you normally access in League Setup can be different between your associated leagues. That includes Financials. The universal settings that apply to all leagues will be all the others like Global Setup, Player & Picture Options, AI Options, etc.

However, I think you will be able to set some rules that will be shared among your leagues. Like the draft and free agency, obviously, because leagues will be able to share draft pools and free agents if you want.
Cool, now I can have a postseason championship between the Majors and the Sao Tome Baseball Conglomeration (average salary: $250/yr).
Old 03-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #20
Chomps
Major Leagues

I was thinking that it would be very interesting to have a historical 1945 Negro League and a historical 1945 MLB League setup together as associations. My understanding is that the Negro Leagues contained some super talented players that never had the chance to be on the big stage. Will be really fascinating to see how the Playoffs unfold.

Does anyone have quick start historical leagues or templates for these two leagues around this time frame?
Chomps is offline   Reply With Quote