Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:21 PM   #1
old timer
Hall Of Famer

# of promotions at the start of PT

Does anyone know why so many teams get promoted at the beginning of PT? In OOTP 19, the number of teams promoted was reduced considerably once the perfect leagues existed. It looks like the same process will be repeated. 16 teams will be promoted from bronze and silver, but I don't get why this is necessary? Why can't they promote fewer teams?

It seems like it would be better if promotion from the very beginning were harder. At the very least, don't promote the teams with mediocre records so they have a chance to build up and be competitive at higher levels.

Last edited by old timer; 03-27-2019 at 06:22 PM.
old timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:42 PM   #2
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

They want to fill the highest levels as soon as possible.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:59 PM   #3
old timer
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
They want to fill the highest levels as soon as possible.

But that doesn't answer the question. Or I'm just not getting it. Why would it matter if there were fewer diamond and perfect leagues in the beginning? You can still fill some leagues without promoting as many teams so quickly. Or am I missing something?
Old 03-27-2019, 07:03 PM   #4
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by old timer View Post
But that doesn't answer the question. Or I'm just not getting it. Why would it matter if there were fewer diamond and perfect leagues in the beginning? You can still fill some leagues without promoting as many teams so quickly. Or am I missing something?

They want to fill out the leagues quickly to get the tiers separated I'm sure. I want that also.
mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:42 PM   #5
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Undeserving teams will get their butts kicked when they get bumped up. That is what is going to happen to one of my teams.
OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:52 PM   #6
old timer
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdog512 View Post
They want to fill out the leagues quickly to get the tiers separated I'm sure. I want that also.
Let's say you only promoted the top 8 teams and let's assume there are currently 50 silver leagues. Then you'd have 400 teams going on to gold level and that would fill 13+ (not sure how to handle the incomplete league) gold leagues. Then you'd have 104 teams promoted from gold which would fill 3+ diamond leagues. Then you'd have a slight shortfall for 1 perfect league, depending on how you handled the small leagues.

So perhaps they could go with promoting the top 10 teams instead so they could get a perfect league as fast as possible, by why the need to get multiple ones? Is it really worse to have to wait slightly longer to reach the perfect level compared to having a lot of teams getting promoted too fast? Does this somehow make them more money? Or am I just missing something still?
Old 03-27-2019, 08:37 PM   #7
Arobbins
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdog512 View Post
They want to fill out the leagues quickly
this
Arobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:43 PM   #8
old timer
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arobbins View Post
this

You can fill out leagues quickly without promoting so many at once. You'll just have fewer at the top in the beginning, but how is that bad? It will be more of an accomplishment to move up which seems like a good thing.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:24 PM   #9
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGPuppies View Post
Undeserving teams will get their butts kicked when they get bumped up. That is what is going to happen to one of my teams.
So they get relegated. Where is the harm in that?

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 03:03 AM   #10
Mormo
Minors (Single A)

It's really that simple. Even if all the perfect league teams suck they still have to be filled. If there was a system to fill all of them out at once they would do that. If very few people got promoted as you suggest then you'd remain in the same tier as a team that is better/worse than you. The objective isn't to make you earn a promotion; the objective is to spread teams out as much as possible based on quality. Even with 16 teams promoted only the best teams will even reach perfect which is the intention. And from there it will correct itself over the weeks.
Mormo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 03:07 AM   #11
Mormo
Minors (Single A)

Having a small number of teams at the top will defeat the purpose of having a top. The point is to get teams out of leagues where they're winning 105 games and it's not achieved by only promoting teams winning 115 games.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:21 AM   #12
old timer
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormo View Post
Having a small number of teams at the top will defeat the purpose of having a top. The point is to get teams out of leagues where they're winning 105 games and it's not achieved by only promoting teams winning 115 games.

Promoting the top 10 would get those teams out of there though wouldn't it? I don't see how promoting 16 is superior. Those bottom 6 teams getting promoted don't likely belong at the higher level and so I still don't see why they're needed. Right now in my league the 11th-16th place teams have records ranging from .531 to .475. Why is it a bad thing to keep these at the same level? They're not so great that they'll start beating up on the other teams at this level.

Last edited by old timer; 03-28-2019 at 03:23 AM.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:58 AM   #13
Mormo
Minors (Single A)

If you're in the top half of the silver league right now you're basically a perfect league level player. You don't perceive those teams as being worthy because nobody is really spending money like that. They don't have the kind of roster you'd expect from a perfect league team. But if you're above .500 in the silver right now you're in the top 1/6 of all teams making you a perfect league level player. If you're in the top half of Iron right now you should be an entire tier above anyone below .500. I don't know how else to explain it but when there are only 3 levels filled the 1st in the division probably should be 2-3 tiers away from the 5th in the division. Promoting half the league at this point is more than fair.

I think you're imagining going up to perfect and seeing a bunch of Babe Ruth's. If there aren't many 100 cards in silver right now (there aren't) there won't be so many if they get promoted. All it's doing is creating needed separation between current teams. What you're proposing is only keeping teams with different talent competing against each other for longer than they should be.

I bet if you check your league right now the teams 7-10th are miles apart from the teams 27-30th and really shouldn't be stuck at the same level for another season.

In PT19, in my diamond league, almost every single team has the same level of talent and it comes down to strategy or RNG, which is the intention, not who has the best players.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:46 AM   #14
old timer
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormo View Post
I bet if you check your league right now the teams 7-10th are miles apart from the teams 27-30th and really shouldn't be stuck at the same level for another season.

In PT19, in my diamond league, almost every single team has the same level of talent and it comes down to strategy or RNG, which is the intention, not who has the best players.

Comparing 11th-16th (not sure why you picked 7-10th?) to the rest, I just don't see these teams belonging to a different league than the bottom ones. There just isn't that much difference in quality yet amongst these teams (or at least I'm not seeing it for some reason).

My team is currently 16th and the team on the bottom has an inferior team, but not so bad they can't be competitive with mine. In fact, they've beaten my team in the 3 games we've played so far (yeah, too small of a sample size).

So what I'm saying is the teams from 11th to 28th place don't seem like they need to be separated. One consequence of separating them is you're keeping some teams (the promoted ones) that clearly don't belong together, together for even longer. In my opinion, the gap between 1st and 11th place is greater (at this stage) than the gap between 11th and 28th.

Last edited by old timer; 03-28-2019 at 05:06 AM.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:21 AM   #15
Mormo
Minors (Single A)

Well we disagree on whether those teams should be in the same division. You may be missing my point of relativity. Maybe you understand and we just don't agree. Maybe you're too focused on getting me to understand you. Who knows.

One thing that's almost for sure is there is a set amount of leagues per tier, which I believe one level up is about half as many teams as the previous one.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:24 AM   #16
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

My take on it is that the devs value filling out the tiers as quickly as possible more than they do filling them out as accurately as possible. They have simply chosen to rely on future rounds of promotion and relegation to improve tier accuracy, rather than focusing on maximizing accuracy in the initial promotion rounds.

Both are perfectly acceptable approaches to this issue. Your analysis is not wrong... It just isn't what they decided to value.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:31 AM   #17
Kushiel
All Star Starter

I am sure they had discussions about filling the tiers because they changed the initial promotion making it more friendly to FTP teams than 19 was. Since we know it had to have been discussed, then Markus and crew must have made the best choice as they see it from weighing the game play and the business side.

Kushiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 12:13 PM   #18
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
So they get relegated. Where is the harm in that?
It's hard to get relegated if you're not tanking. 16 up and 2 down ends up putting a ton of teams way higher than they belong. I'm glad I started slowly.
zrog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:12 PM   #19
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Yeah I learned my lesson last year, not going to rush up the ranks this time. That just leads to pressure to spend money if you wanna stay up there. I'll be happy chilling in gold or whatever for a while, just competing with mere mortals instead of hall of famers.
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote