Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions

Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions Post suggestions for the next version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 04-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
TonyFrancis
Minors (Double A)

Tabbed Interface

My assumption is this probably wouldn't even be possible in OOTP15 and probably belongs in a future suggestion forum when you're looking at another rewrite, but I think it would be a great enrichment, specifically to the online league participants, but also in general, to allow you load a league without having to close the current league you are in. Let me make it clear, I don't expect that you should be able to sim in multiple leagues at once because that would hog too many resources, however, as an online league guy it would be great to negotiate deals and make moves in multiple leagues at once without having to take the time-consuming step of saving and loading a new league each time I need to switch.
TonyFrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
blasek0
Major Leagues

Nice idea, but even keeping multiple leagues loaded into memory, without actually simming them forward, would get incredibly bloated, especially for users who don't have 64bit CPUs and are limited to 4gb of memory.
blasek0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:00 PM   #3
TonyFrancis
Minors (Double A)

Yeah, that's a major obstacle and that's why I figured it would have to involve a rewrite. Maybe it's slightly more of a wish than a suggestion! I've run OOTP11, OOTP12, and OOTP13 at the same time before and it's extremely slow, just was kind of hoping multiple leagues in one software, it could be accomplished better. Whether it's practical, I guess the programmers know better than I do.
TonyFrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #4
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

You could always install OOTP on another drive and open it twice.
Bluenoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #5
blasek0
Major Leagues

I think it could be added more easily if it was built around multiple tabs within the same league universe. The extra memory being used by having multiple tabs open would be mostly negligible. However, keeping two leagues loaded at once, and the memory usage could get extreme quite quickly. Even with only a single league with almost no history open, OOTP's eating up 900mb of memory currently. For a 32bit CPU, that's ~25% of the available memory (Windows 32bit versions chop you off at 3.5GB addressable memory) assuming you've got a 4gb memory set.

Adding this feature would make a 64-bit version of OOTP mandatory though, probably. And that is a whole gigantic codemonkey of its own.

Opening two instances of OOTP from two separate disks is a good idea though, if you have the memory to handle it. R/W from separate disks would greatly reduce the bottlenecking from having multiple leagues open, because OOTP is murder on disk R/W. Also, putting OOTP onto an SSD would greatly speed that up.
blasek0 is offline   Reply With Quote