Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 05-23-2010, 11:56 PM   #1
JustinM
Major Leagues

Possible rules bug?

I'm not sure if this is a mistake or not and I can't find the relevant rule in the book, so I leave it to the forum to decide whether I should submit a ticket for this.

Bottom of the 9th, tie game, Andre Ethier on 3rd. Ronnie Belliard hits a ball into the right-center gap, Ethier scores. Belliard gets credit for a double. See the screenshot attached.

I thought the batter could only get credit for the number of bases the winning run had to advance to score. Am I wrong?
Attached Images
JustinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:11 AM   #2
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

Wouldn't that be the same for a home run?

You hit a home run when bases loaded, all 4 runs count no matter what.

BusterKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:29 AM   #3
Syt
Minors (Double A)

According to Section10.06 f/g of the rules:
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/downloads/y20...ial_scorer.pdf

Quote:
(f) Subject to the provisions of Rule 10.06(g), when a batter ends a game with a safe hit
that drives in as many runs as are necessary to put his team in the lead, the official
scorer shall credit such batter with only as many bases on his hit as are advanced by
the runner who scores the winning run, and then only if the batter runs out his hit for
as many bases as are advanced by the runner who scores the winning run.

Rule 10.06(f) Comment: The official scorer shall apply this rule even when the batter is
theoretically entitled to more bases because of being awarded an “automatic” extra-base hit under various
provisions of Rules 6.09 and 7.05.
The official scorer shall credit the batter with a base touched in the natural course of play, even if
the winning run has scored moments before on the same play. For example, the score is tied in the
bottom of the ninth inning with a runner on second base and the batter hits a ball to the outfield that falls
for a base hit. The runner scores after the batter has touched first base and continued on to second base
but shortly before the batter-runner reaches second base. If the batter-runner reaches second base, the
official scorer shall credit the batter with a two-base hit.

(g) When the batter ends a game with a home run hit out of the playing field, the batter
and any runners on base are entitled to score.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:01 PM   #4
Sdpm100
Hall Of Famer

As Syt has posted, it can only be credited a single whatever happens. Plus I'd say that in the situation shown, there's no chance the batter passes first base even if the runner is on second - there's no need.

I seem to recall there was a similar (but rarer) problem some versions back where runners would be thrown out after the winning run scored as well. Not sure on the status of that one.
Sdpm100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:56 PM   #5
JustinM
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syt View Post
According to Section10.06 f/g of the rules:
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/downloads/y20...ial_scorer.pdf
Thanks Syt. I'll submit the ticket when I get home from work. I can't do it here.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:21 PM   #6
Gambo
Hall Of Famer

Without actually seeing the play it's hard to tell exactly what happened with the runner on 3rd. He may have forgotten there were two outs and for some odd reason decided to hold third tagging up but the ball fell in and by the time he crossed the plate the batter reached second already. It has happened. The description shows a long fly ball to right-center.

I doubt that happened and it is possibly a bug but who knows.

OOTP MODS:
Historical Face Gen Project, Spritze/Gambo Database, OOTP Stadium Chart and Ballpark Images, MLB Compiled Uniform & Logo Pack
available at...
http://www.ootpmods.com
Gambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:41 PM   #7
JustinM
Major Leagues

10.06(f) says that you don't get a choice of how to score it. It's a single no matter how long it took Ethier to score.