Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 05-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
smythejd
All Star Reserve

What are some ways to help players in the off-season?

I have been playing OOTP for over a year now... Have been wondering this question for some time... What are some ways to help players improve during the off-season? Here are a couple of questions which come to mind from my current team...
Can I do anything for a pitcher who has 4 quality pitches but low stamina?
How can I have a relief pitcher work on a new pitch so I can turn him into a starter?
smythejd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smythejd View Post
I have been playing OOTP for over a year now... Have been wondering this question for some time... What are some ways to help players improve during the off-season? Here are a couple of questions which come to mind from my current team...
Can I do anything for a pitcher who has 4 quality pitches but low stamina?
How can I have a relief pitcher work on a new pitch so I can turn him into a starter?
The first case is new for v13. You can't do anything except put him out there and see if he can go 6-7 innings. That's very much realistic in current MLB. He may get a stamina boost, which would be a bonus.

It's very rare for a relief pitcher to become a starter. It almost always goes the other way. Charlie Hough is the most obvious example and him being a knuckleball pitcher makes him atypical. Same with Wilbur Wood. I'm having trouble finding a regular pitcher who spent any significant time as a reliever first. Derek Lowe had 4 seasons in Boston early in his career.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:07 AM   #3
bailey
Hall Of Famer

The Tigers tried to turn Phil Coke into a starter last year, but the experiment was not successful.

bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:35 AM   #4
GMLoophole
All Star Reserve

am I missing something?

I don't think there's anything for you to do to "improve" players during the off-season in this game.
GMLoophole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:03 AM   #5
smythejd
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLoophole View Post
I don't think there's anything for you to do to "improve" players during the off-season in this game.
I was afraid of that...

Thanks
smythejd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:09 AM   #6
Ambermonk
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
It's very rare for a relief pitcher to become a starter. It almost always goes the other way. Charlie Hough is the most obvious example and him being a knuckleball pitcher makes him atypical. Same with Wilbur Wood. I'm having trouble finding a regular pitcher who spent any significant time as a reliever first. Derek Lowe had 4 seasons in Boston early in his career.
Don't forget Dick Farrell who was the Phillies top reliever in 1957. He eventually became a starter for the Houston Colt 45s, and then the Dodgers. He finished his career back with the Phillies as a reliever again.