Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-18-2019, 03:19 PM   #21
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by losbravos View Post

So that's 2 different answers from 2 different devs, cool.

I play exclusively in Challenge Mode. So despite you agreeing with a concern I'm bringing up in the 'beta-test', I'm being told to "Live with it."

Cool. How do I request a refund, all the links I found through google are dead. I don't see a need to buy this version, when in OOTP 19 a year of development on my favorite player results in him being a better player than who he starts out as in OOTP XX.

edit: Never mind on that last bit, I found it
Imagine if they had to cater to everyone who wants their favorite player rated higher. They'd all be the best player in the league. Ridiculous.

I want Mookie Betts to be at least twice as good as Soto because of last year's stats.

Last edited by zrog2000; 03-18-2019 at 03:20 PM.
zrog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:21 PM   #22
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Why is this an issue with new MLB live updates? This will sort itself out after a couple of months automatically.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:39 PM   #23
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Cool. How do I request a refund, all the links I found through google are dead. I don't see a need to buy this version, when in OOTP 19 a year of development on my favorite player results in him being a better player than who he starts out as in OOTP XX.

edit: Never mind on that last bit, I found it

Whatever floats your boat.
Just be careful you don't cut off your nose to spite your face.
(Or, you know, insert whatever cliches you think are most appropriate here.)
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:51 PM   #24
DawnBTVS
Major Leagues

Quote:
But that's my point,

Soto last year : .292/.406/.517 146 wRC+
Acuna last year (only 10.5 months older): .293/.366/.522 143 wRC+
Could the ratings differences be partly due to ballpark as well regarding ZIPS?

SunTrust Park had a 0.802 HR Factor compared to Nationals Park being 1.173 according to ESPN.

Tie those to the fact that Soto had more BB and fewer K (89 vs. 99 including IBB) compared to Acuna's 53 vs. 123 (including HBP/IBB) and maybe there's an argument to be made that ZIPS believes Soto has a better skill set to put up a similar season as last year in comparison to Acuna who may be more reliant on a high BA to sustain a similar OPS total.

Worth noting that Soto only hit 6 HR at home, which seems like it is low for such a HR favorable park, but better overall whereas Acuna hit better on the road but with similar power totals (IIRC 14 HR against 12 on the road).

I don't have a real dog in the fight but if you told me to project who would have the better season, I'd put my $$ towards Soto largely due to his plate discipline and home ballpark.
DawnBTVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:09 PM   #25
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

you are crying this much about one player's ratings (based on an entirely separate projection system)?

edit them yourself if you want. that's what I used to do playing franchise modes back when I was 8, it's your game world to play in.

Last edited by dkgo; 03-18-2019 at 04:10 PM.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:19 PM   #26
losbravos
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrog2000 View Post
I want Mookie Betts to be at least twice as good as Soto because of last year's stats.

I'd agree with you, their current ratings should be that different! Using zips for potential ratings is great. Saying that as of opening day 2019 Soto is a better pure hitter than anyone but Mike Trout, because of his ZiPS projections is lazy.
losbravos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:38 PM   #27
itsmb8
All Star Starter

Aaaaaaaaaand we're back with another ratings thread lol
itsmb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:42 PM   #28
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Soto is projected at a 154 wRC+ on ZiPS and Acuna a 127. Looking at the other projections, they all seem to be in agreement with ZiPS about Acuna, with Steamer, The Bat, ATC projecting him for a 123, 123, 129 wRC+ respectively. Whereas ZiPS appears to be higher on Soto than the other projection systems, the others all have him above a 140 wRC+. I don't think your gripe here is with OOTP, as using an aggregate projection, Soto is projected second in MLB with a .935 OPS, behind only Trout. I'm not saying the projections are right, but I will tend to go with the projections over angry fans. To make you feel better consider that while Soto is not very good defensively, Acuna does make up for it everywhere else with what he does in the field and on the bases, which is why they're both projected in the 4-5 win range, or in other words, both projected to be all-star caliber players.

Last edited by wallewalls; 03-18-2019 at 04:43 PM.
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:07 PM   #29
CBLCardinals
OOTP Roster Team

Why are you bringing logic and fact-driven analysis to this discussion??

It should be just anarchy and emotion-based.

DUDE JOE SCHMOE is rated too low - my uncle knows his hitting coach and he’s a beast. And he hits better on Tuesdays after a Big Mac and Fries. Why can’t OOTP rate him that way???!!!!!!!!??????

Simple tip for everyone - go to Fangraphs website, go to Zips projections. That will answer majority of any questions one may have on rated too high/too low. I’m sure there are some adjustments here and there beyond that, and if someone looks drastically over/under rated AFTER reviewing both Zips projections and ratings in game, it’s fair to bring up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallewalls View Post
Soto is projected at a 154 wRC+ on ZiPS and Acuna a 127. Looking at the other projections, they all seem to be in agreement with ZiPS about Acuna, with Steamer, The Bat, ATC projecting him for a 123, 123, 129 wRC+ respectively. Whereas ZiPS appears to be higher on Soto than the other projection systems, the others all have him above a 140 wRC+. I don't think your gripe here is with OOTP, as using an aggregate projection, Soto is projected second in MLB with a .935 OPS, behind only Trout. I'm not saying the projections are right, but I will tend to go with the projections over angry fans. To make you feel better consider that while Soto is not very good defensively, Acuna does make up for it everywhere else with what he does in the field and on the bases, which is why they're both projected in the 4-5 win range, or in other words, both projected to be all-star caliber players.
CBLCardinals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:36 PM   #30
losbravos
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallewalls View Post

For the last time, because I feel like I'm just repeating myself over and over. I have 0 issues with the potential ratings of Soto vs. Acuna.

By starting Soto's opening day CURRENT RATINGS at his ZiPS projectons, he DEVELOPS into this by the end of the season:

Someone who should be producing stats that exceed his ZiPS projections. So they take a bullish projection of Soto, set that as his baseline, and let him develop into someone who should produce at a god like clip.

But I'm being attacked for thinking there's something wrong with that.

Last edited by losbravos; 03-18-2019 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:45 PM   #31
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Soto
K% - 20%
BB% - 16%

Acuna
K% - 25.3%
BB% - 9.2%

And there small minor league numbers are pretty much exactly like that. With Acuna K%, BB% worst off than Soto.

But again with the live update this will change their ratings as they gain stats for the current year. You are playing before the season and complaining about computer projections.

Last edited by jimmysthebestcop; 03-18-2019 at 05:47 PM.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:50 PM   #32
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I really don't think you are being attacked at all, but if you are being attacked, from your perspective, I don't think it's for "thinking there's something wrong with that." It's more for not accepting that just because you think there is something wrong everyone else has to agree with your logic and come over to your way of thinking.
That's an unrealistic expectation.
And while I don't believe you started the thread this way, it does seem that as this conversation has developed you have become more and more defensive and reactive (over-reactive), and yes, that has probably brought down a bit of backlash against you. If this is truly a deal-breaker for you and causes you to want a refund, that is totally your prerogative. Again, seems like an over-reaction to me, but you have to do what's right for you. But when you swing that like a cudgel around here because you don't feel like you are being heard or agreed with, well, that feels a bit silly.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:00 PM   #33
Charley575
All Star Reserve

Fictional players be like

Sorry. Too easy.

Something like this happens with every release. I'm sure nobody at OOTPDEV has it out for Acuna. If you think he's been underrated just adjust the ratings to what you think they should be. It'll be ok. The live updates will likely smooth this out over time anyway. Take care.

Last edited by Charley575; 03-18-2019 at 06:05 PM.
Charley575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:18 PM   #34
losbravos
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdWatcher View Post
I really don't think you are being attacked at all, but if you are being attacked, from your perspective, I don't think it's for "thinking there's something wrong with that." It's more for not accepting that just because you think there is something wrong everyone else has to agree with your logic and come over to your way of thinking.
That's an unrealistic expectation.
And while I don't believe you started the thread this way, it does seem that as this conversation has developed you have become more and more defensive and reactive (over-reactive), and yes, that has probably brought down a bit of backlash against you. If this is truly a deal-breaker for you and causes you to want a refund, that is totally your prerogative. Again, seems like an over-reaction to me, but you have to do what's right for you. But when you swing that like a cudgel around here because you don't feel like you are being heard or agreed with, well, that feels a bit silly.

I'll admit I probably am being over reactive to the comments on this board.

However, I didn't request a refund because I disagree with the ratings. I requested a refund because I brought up an issue I had during the 'beta-test', a dev response even said he agreed with me, but ultimately I was told to "deal with it."

It's not a beta test, it's pre-order bonus early access. I wanted a refund because it's just another way OOTP has moved towards the micro-transaction heavy, lootbox filled, carbon copy year to year BS I'd expect from a company like EA or Ubisoft.

I'm out.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:20 PM   #35
TwinsGuy11
Minors (Triple A)

I find some ratings absurd every year... but I just edit them.
TwinsGuy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:52 PM   #36
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

What Matt said (following on Lukas' explanation of how the ratings got there in the first place) was

Quote:
I'd agree with you, I think Acuna should be just as good offensively as Soto, but I'm not the one to rate the players. You have a few options:
-Live with it
-Manually edit the ratings in commissioner mode
-Use the live updating function to pump Acuna up when he hits a HR every game over the opening weekend
You were not told to just deal with it. You were told that it was one of at least 3 options available to you to handle the situation to your satisfaction.
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:51 PM   #37
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Quote:
For the last time, because I feel like I'm just repeating myself over and over. I have 0 issues with the potential ratings of Soto vs. Acuna.

By starting Soto's opening day CURRENT RATINGS at his ZiPS projectons, he DEVELOPS into this by the end of the season:

Someone who should be producing stats that exceed his ZiPS projections. So they take a bullish projection of Soto, set that as his baseline, and let him develop into someone who should produce at a god like clip.

What am i looking at in this pic? I dont know what Soto's default ratings are on day 1 of a save, so idk how much hes grown in the season if thats what the issue is. If your issue is the projected statline, that does not really mean anything. I've noticed through the years that that projected statline is really inflated and is not representative of what a players season will end up as. It's not something that should be taken too seriously because it assumes a player is playing all 162 games in a neutral MLB environment, which is not the case in reality. Of course he would exceed ZiPS projections in this environment, every player probably would. The only time I think one should even consider the projected statline is if it's really low.

Last edited by wallewalls; 03-18-2019 at 07:54 PM.
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 05:03 AM   #38
Becko
Bat Boy

Resurrecting because I randomly got this thread as a search result on a whole different query but I love love love following up on projection system discussions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Berger View Post
Looking it up, ZIPS projects Soto at .296/.400/.559, Acuna at .276/.344/.511 and McKinney at .229/.295/.407

So the main problem definitely seems to be that McKinney is a bit too highly rated for some reason. We'll adjust him down a bit.
This being the 2019 projections that we can now compare to the actual numbers, how did ZiPS actually do?

Soto: .282/.401/.548
Acuna: .280/.365/.518
McKinney: .215/.274/.422

Not too bad, right? It was 10 points of OPS off on Soto, 28 on Acuna and 6 on McKinney. Other than being a shade low on Acuna's walk rate, the differences just amount to a double here or an out there.

Last edited by Becko; 05-10-2020 at 05:03 AM. Reason: Tildes not appreciated, apparently
Becko is offline   Reply With Quote