Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Front Office Football > FOF - General Discussions

FOF - General Discussions Discuss the upcoming Front Office Football by OOTP Developments here.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:53 PM   #21
T-Bone
Minors (Double A)

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants44 View Post
I bought DDSF 16 with hopes it would be the game I was looking for. and sadly it was not. No in game play calling is a killer for me - have to have that for me to stay interested at all.
Yes - this game was a big disappointment.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:27 PM   #22
Qrashman
All Star Reserve

Does anyone still make roster files each year for FPS? I remember playing the hell out of that back in the day. 6 hours a day for years hahaha.

There was also a game a couple years before FPS that was just called "NFL" or something. If I remember correctly it was just a black box with NFL on it. I remember you had to answer questions every time you turned the game on to verify it wasn't a copy of the game. "Whats the 4th word on page 26", etc. It was just Xs and Os on a screen but man was it good.

Edit: Wow here it is. NFL Challenge. 1985 hahaha i guess it was more than a "couple years". NFL Challenge was how I got into roto/fantasy sports, except back then I didn't know fantasy sports even existed. 3 of my friends and I picked teams consisting of all players in the NFL and I would just simulate the games in NFL Challenge. Whichever person's "team" got the most rushing yards got four points, 2nd most three points, etc. I kept all the stats in a notebook manually. We did this for a bunch of categories and played a lot of seasons. Little did we know it would become a huge thing many years later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF_YEq5nkio

Watching this video I can smell the fan of my 1984 Tandy computer like it's in front of me.
HBL Waiting List

Last edited by Qrashman; 02-03-2016 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:17 PM   #23
FlexD
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslanking View Post
New football game out on the market. Anyone have a review? The basketball sim is highly regarded. Anxious to try a football sim but front office footballs UI is horrendous.

Thoughts

Front office football really is good when you play online

Last edited by FlexD; 02-09-2016 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:21 AM   #24
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPD View Post
Front office football really is good when you play online
I own FoF, but stopped playing it more than a year ago. The interface is horrible, the teeny tiny font is too hard on my eyes, and the play diagrams are difficult to read and look like they were drawn by a 7 year old.
Cultural icons, gone but not forgotten: David Bowie, Lou Reed, William S. Burroughs, Tristan Tzara, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsburg, Jimi Hendrix, John Cage, Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls), Mike Hudson (The Pagans), Joey Ramone (Ramones), Stiv Bators (Dead Boys), Tomata Du Plenty (The Screamers), Joe Strummer (The Clash), Lester Bangs
Old 02-15-2016, 09:37 AM   #25
Enforcer
Minors (Double A)

Qrashman,

Yes I played NFL Challenge we used to just call it XOR football lol (that was the creators I believe.

I do believe FPS and XOR were great games.

I find it absurd that no one can make a better game LOL.
I mean it has only been over 17 years ago HAHA!

Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrashman View Post
Does anyone still make roster files each year for FPS? I remember playing the hell out of that back in the day. 6 hours a day for years hahaha.

There was also a game a couple years before FPS that was just called "NFL" or something. If I remember correctly it was just a black box with NFL on it. I remember you had to answer questions every time you turned the game on to verify it wasn't a copy of the game. "Whats the 4th word on page 26", etc. It was just Xs and Os on a screen but man was it good.

Edit: Wow here it is. NFL Challenge. 1985 hahaha i guess it was more than a "couple years". NFL Challenge was how I got into roto/fantasy sports, except back then I didn't know fantasy sports even existed. 3 of my friends and I picked teams consisting of all players in the NFL and I would just simulate the games in NFL Challenge. Whichever person's "team" got the most rushing yards got four points, 2nd most three points, etc. I kept all the stats in a notebook manually. We did this for a bunch of categories and played a lot of seasons. Little did we know it would become a huge thing many years later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF_YEq5nkio

Watching this video I can smell the fan of my 1984 Tandy computer like it's in front of me.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:05 PM   #26
james17
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enforcer View Post
Qrashman,

Yes I played NFL Challenge we used to just call it XOR football lol (that was the creators I believe.

I do believe FPS and XOR were great games.

I find it absurd that no one can make a better game LOL.
I mean it has only been over 17 years ago HAHA!

Enforcer
It is ridiculous that in 17 years there's not been at least one game as good as FPS. Hell, I'd plunk down my money for an updated XOR game in a second.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:23 PM   #27
redfox000
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants44 View Post
I bought DDSF 16 with hopes it would be the game I was looking for. and sadly it was not. No in game play calling is a killer for me - have to have that for me to stay interested at all.

at this point Madden Coach Mode is the best option for the football sim player. Amazingly sadly considering how long the genre has existed and how many games have been announced and yet how little improvements have actually come in last 10 + years.

for what it is worth, I do really like the Wolverine Basketball games and think they have gotten better with every release.
I too was disappointed by Wolverine Studios getting this game. I know they want football, but that is just a bad game there. Years and years ago they were developing their own football game from the ground up. Having been privy to some information on it I was very excited about it, but then the main developer left and took the license to the game with him. This is a very poor replacement for that game. IMHO
Old 02-19-2016, 03:26 PM   #28
redfox000
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoboda View Post
I have to say both sadly and happily I just completed another season on frontpage sports football 97. I still like the 97 game better because of a couple of features they took out in 98. In my opinion still the best football sim game ever I have to agree. Looking forward to someday feeling the same way about Beyond the Sidelines
Man those were the good ole' days...i spent most of my teens and 20's playing those games and had a career starting with Football pro all the way through 98. Sigh.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:27 PM   #29
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

FBPRO98 is still the Gold Standard for Online leagues imo, Create your own plays, use them in h2h league games. Sadly no matter how much we who loved it would like a game similar, this is a very small niche market were talking about. It falls into no-mans land not a true text sim and not an arcade game. It is for Hard Core Coach Mode gamers who also want the GM feel. <Sigh> I miss that game....

damn you FBpro99 for ruining the world
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Old 03-16-2016, 08:30 PM   #30
Mike Lowe
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslanking View Post
Front office football looks to be great but the interface is so horrendous I can't see past it. It's almost like a gorgeous princess being held in a far off castle. The only way to get to her is through 5 miles of brambles and thickets, two moats filled with crocodiles and sharks with lasers On their head.

You really really want to get to the princess. But it is not worth the effort.
Yes she is.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:34 PM   #31
Mike Lowe
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoboda View Post
I have to say both sadly and happily I just completed another season on frontpage sports football 97. I still like the 97 game better because of a couple of features they took out in 98. In my opinion still the best football sim game ever I have to agree. Looking forward to someday feeling the same way about Beyond the Sidelines
I always loved 97 as well. I still remember the first time I clicked "advance to offseason" or whatever it was called. A true "WHAT" moment. I even remember my first draft pick for my Lions, DE #60 Brian Terwilliger.

Anyway, what were the differences you mentioned between 97 and 98? I forget.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:39 PM   #32
Mike Lowe
Hall Of Famer

Last, another game that had a lot of promise (followed by a pretty hard crash landing from what I recall) was .400 Studio's game...Total Pro Football was it?
Old 03-18-2016, 01:34 PM   #33
killershrew
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyb37 View Post
To me its just Brooks Piggott's other game Pro Football Simulator with a few new screens. I played the demo having played Pro Football Simulator for years and I have decided not to buy the full version. It's not very good as a single player game, lacks depth, loads of buggy issues with stats/ratings.

As for the Basketball game they have announced a new version while leaving the last version full of bugs and without an update in more than a year. Used to be impressed with Wolverine but not any more.
I second this. At one Point, 5 years ago, it was a promising game then development stalled. It could have been great but having payed for PFS only to have that unfinished game turn into this I'm out.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:11 PM   #34
nbryant
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe View Post
Last, another game that had a lot of promise (followed by a pretty hard crash landing from what I recall) was .400 Studio's game...Total Pro Football was it?
TPF was good with tons of promise but from what I understand internal issues within .400 studios caused it to die while the coder, Arlie, went on to found Greydog software. He has hinted from time to time of doing another pro game (his BBCF college game is still great) but doesn't seem to have done anything.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:58 PM   #35
Ron.
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbryant View Post
his BBCF college game is still great
I will second this. After buying it on release and not playing in many years I was pleasantly surprised to find that it had been updated for last season.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:04 AM   #36
Reggie
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe View Post
I always loved 97 as well. I still remember the first time I clicked "advance to offseason" or whatever it was called. A true "WHAT" moment. I even remember my first draft pick for my Lions, DE #60 Brian Terwilliger.

Anyway, what were the differences you mentioned between 97 and 98? I forget.
My wife thought I had lost my mind with that game. I printed out year end stats and kept them in a filing cabinet. I would print the draft pool and tape it to the wall by the computer and study it as I was planning my draft. And I used to lay in bed talking about a LBer I drafted named Kit Anderson. Man he was good. I was so proud of drafting him ... the old lady didn't get it.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:47 AM   #37
redfox000
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
My wife thought I had lost my mind with that game. I printed out year end stats and kept them in a filing cabinet. I would print the draft pool and tape it to the wall by the computer and study it as I was planning my draft. And I used to lay in bed talking about a LBer I drafted named Kit Anderson. Man he was good. I was so proud of drafting him ... the old lady didn't get it.
I did similar things. Those were the days. I had a huge Excel spreadsheet with tons of tabs that detailed stats, rosters, records, standings, etc... over the many years my league went on.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:00 AM   #38
dwallom
Bat Boy

While we wait for BTS. Anyone playing Action PC Football??
Old 04-07-2016, 07:49 AM   #39
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

Front Page Sports Games have Live Play by Play. Total Control Football has the hole aspect of been a GM. NNBTK16 has Social Media,Adam Silver doing Draft,Live by Play,Teams can move but no League Evoultion like OTTP meaning the Computer can't expand League. Fast Bresk Basketball/NBATK16 don't have full Offseason Mode like FHM/OTTP because those Games have a date when Free Agent Period starts but those Basketball Games do the same thing so if Durant wants to wait intill like Septembet 12 he can not the 30 day Period.
Old 04-23-2016, 03:41 PM   #40
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by garion333 View Post
Except it is worth the effort, which is what everyone tries to tell everyone!

Fwiw, the new version supposedly will update the interface.
No Mac version means I'm likely done with this title for life