Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 09-05-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
hfield007
All Star Starter

So you want a method for Hall Of Fame Voting?

Well my other thread on hall of fame voting was well received and people generally liked the formula.

But it was... well complicated and long to say the least.

So I have yet another formula that is much easier and quicker then the last.

WAR, what is it good for?
Well, for now it will help us in this hall of fame voting method.
This method can be consuming at the end of your seasons. It is meant to mimic a real hall of fame vote each season, not just something to decide if a player gets in after he retires.

One of the best introductions into this game is the all-telling statistic WAR (Wins Above Replacement). And it can be very handy for a quick hall of fame voting system.

Again like my last creation you will need an Initial Vote Multiplier for each player. We will only use a player's WAR to determine this. For Starting Pitchers and Batters the system is as follows.

For each single season with a WAR of 3.0-3.9 give the player 0.5 points. For each season of 4.0-6.4 give the player 1.0 points. For each season of 6.5-8.9 give the player 1.5 points. And for each season over 9.0 WAR give the player 2.0 points.

Then after that look at his career WAR. The following chart shows how many more points to add using his career WAR.

30 = 0.5
40 = 1.0
50 = 2.0
60 = 3.0
80 = 4.0
100 = 5.0

Relief pitchers, however, go off of a different system.

The seasonal WAR is as follows.
WAR = Points
1.5 = 0.5
2.0 = 1.0
3.0 = 1.5
4.0 = 2.0

And the career WAR is as follows.
20 = 1.0
25 = 1.5
30 = 2.0

OPTIONAL is adding additional points for certain milestones. WAR can penalize players who are one dimensional (500 HR but nothing else). If you would like, the following point additions can be made.
500 HR = 3.0
3,000 H = 3.0
1,500 RBI = 1.0
1,500 R = 1.0
300 W = 3.0
500 Sv = 2.0

These can be added because most of these milestones are usually locks for the HoF.

You should now have a final number for the player based on his WAR.

Now all you need is the site random.org and to be able to set up two random integer generators on it. One that ranges 1-6 and another 2-9.

Upon the five year waiting period a player is eligible for his first voting. I keep a list of retired players and what year they retire on a wordpad document. Next to it I put the initial vote multiplier (the number of points a player earned through war that I explained in the above paragraphs).

I take this number and and randomize the 1-6 integer generator that many times. If the player had a 13.5 initial vote multiplier (the points earned from WAR) then I do the random integer generator 14 times and the last number i cut in half. That amount of times using the 1-6 number generator is to get there first ballots percentage of votes. TO BE CLEAR, the number you assign to a player is how many times you did the 1-6 number generator for their first ballot. If someone had 5 points based off of the war guide you generate 5 numbers from the 1-6 generator and add them up.

Keep these percentages handy as you will use them again for those who fail to make the hall.

A player needs 75% to reach the hall of fame. If he makes it you can add him to the hall and delete him from your list.

When next season rolls around you will have your list of players who failed to make it last year. These are a base for the players votes for there second season. You will generate ONE number from the 2-9 random number generator to see how much you will add to the percentage, then click the 1-6 generator to see how much to take off their percentage. Most players gain votes every year they are on the ballot which is why the Positive die is bigger than the negative.

If the positive die is a 7 and the negative die a 2, then the player gains 5%

If the positive die is a 3 and the negative a 6, then the player loses 3% of his vote.

If a player drops below 5% of the vote he may not be voted on again. A player also has a maximum of fifteen years on the ballot.

NOTES

Anything 25 and above from the inital points is basically a guarantee the first year or second. Anyone receiving at least 10.0 points from the initial guide has a legitimate shot at making it and should splash in with around a 35% first ballot and will usually end up between 45% and making the hall of fame. Below 10.0 points for the initial ballot and likely the player will never even near 60% of the vote (And 60% would require a ton of lucky number generators.)

The numbers mimic real life voting fairly accurately I have found. You may adjust how you want to give the initial voting number based off of WAR but this system works pretty good for me.

I hope you enjoy!

The last one relied heavily on career numbers. This one basically can consider someone who was great for ten years and retired just as good as someone who was great for maybe 7 years but played 20. I'm not sure which system I rather employ but I do like this one.

Last edited by hfield007; 09-05-2011 at 10:42 PM.
hfield007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:05 PM   #2
Corona
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Will be using this, thanks a bunch.
Corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:13 PM   #3
hfield007
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona View Post
Will be using this, thanks a bunch.
i edited the relief pitchers way a little. It took a bit more testing to get the numbers more accurate.

Other then that I am definitely looking for any suggestions or tweaks you prefer if you would use this system. So far this has looked pretty good for me.

It also should be mentioned that WAR isn't a perfect stat especially for HoF voting. It's very possible your 600 HR king may not get into the HoF using this method.

So another thing you can do is add maybe 3 or 5 points or something to the initial vote multiplier for those who have 3,000 hits or 500 HR. Small tweaks to make the system better for yourself.

Last edited by hfield007; 09-05-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:40 PM   #4
Corona
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Everything looks good to me. The only change I'm going to do is to lower the percentage needed to get in to 70%, I play 12 less games a season. I might also
make any player that retired as a the king in any important category an automatic HOF no matter what this system says, just a personal preference.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:42 PM   #5
hfield007
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona View Post
Everything looks good to me. The only change I'm going to do is to lower the percentage needed to get in to 70%, I play 12 less games a season. I might also
make any player that retired as a the king in any important category an automatic HOF no matter what this system says, just a personal preference.
Good choice. I added some optional add on points to the original post that should help for the handicap of homerun hitters who will have low WAR.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:49 PM   #6
Corona
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Nice additions, makes sense to add them. WAR did really simplify things, especially for this.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:40 AM   #7
Cras
Hall Of Famer

If you stick this prcoedure into an application tool, you got something sweeter than yoohoo.
2000, 2005, 2008 American League Central Division Champions
1983, 1993 American League West Division Champions

OOTP | Orbiter | SSMS | FSX | LoL | MLP:FIM!
Cras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:57 PM   #8
hfield007
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cras View Post
If you stick this prcoedure into an application tool, you got something sweeter than yoohoo.
haha if only I had the ability to do it.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:12 PM   #9
CarolinaSoxfan
Minors (Triple A)

Great stuff! I will be using. I may add some values to postseason stats as well. I am thinking of a guy like Curt Schilling who is a borderline HOF mainly because of his dominance in the postseason. Any suggestions as to what you would add for values for postseason stats?
CarolinaSoxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 03:09 PM   #10
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaSoxfan View Post
Great stuff! I will be using. I may add some values to postseason stats as well. I am thinking of a guy like Curt Schilling who is a borderline HOF mainly because of his dominance in the postseason. Any suggestions as to what you would add for values for postseason stats?
Off Topic and resurrecting this ancient thread: Curt Schilling is only a borderline HoF candidate to the dunderheaded BBWAA. A lifetime 3116/711 K:BB ratio? That's 4.38 K for every walk and 3,000+ K. Only the galactically stupid would not have put him in yet, and we haven't even talked about his post-season heroics with the Phillies, D-Backs, and Red Sox: 11-2 with a 2.23 ERA and 120 K to go with 25 BB when it matters most? Wake the bleep up BBWAA! Sorry...Had to get that off my chest. We now return you to this 3+ year old thread that should help us with how to choose HoFers in OOTP.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote