Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 08-24-2019, 10:36 PM   #1
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Andrew Luck retiring

Per Adam Schefter on ESPN's ticker.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016

Last edited by Cobra Mgr; 08-24-2019 at 10:37 PM.
Cobra Mgr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 11:54 PM   #2
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

Will the Colts break the code and sign Kap?

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/showthread.php?t=326812
Hrycaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:00 AM   #3
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

This makes me appreciate Eli Manning even more. So far, he has not missed a game due to injury in his entire 15-season career.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 04:07 AM   #4
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrycaj View Post
Will the Colts break the code and sign Kap?
For what, backup QB? I doubt it. I can see a team doing it if they are desperate enough for a starter. But I doubt they'd go down that rabbit hole for a backup.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:43 AM   #5
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
For what, backup QB? I doubt it. I can see a team doing it if they are desperate enough for a starter. But I doubt they'd go down that rabbit hole for a backup.
Yep, this ^^^

Kaepernick is just not worth the hassle of the media circus that would ensue plus pissing off half of a team's fan base. True, the "media circus" would consist of almost unanimously positive coverage and praise for an organization (because that's the direction the media tilts), but still, half the fan base...

For the Colts specifically, they don't have a need for Kaepernick. Jacoby Brissett has a similar skillset and is several years younger. Kaepernick, who hasn't thrown an NFL pass in two-and-a-half years and is almost 32 years old, was last seen in the league as a mediocre-at-best starting QB on the downside. Now, should the Colts start out of the gate looking good, only to see Brissett go down with a serious injury, then I could maybe see a scenario where they'd entertain plugging Kaepernick into the system since, as noted above, his game is similar to Brissett's. But bringing him in as a backup? Brissett wouldn't need to be looking over his shoulder, and - overall - just not worth the hassle.
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:55 AM   #6
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Luck getting booed at the end of the game last night........I would never criticize a decision a man makes based on his health. He has a right to make that choice. But I understand the fan reaction. If Luck was looking at surgery and intense rehab that might have him ready by week 12, I get it. That's a long way off and w/his history, there is no guarantee it would work out.

But if it is a situation where he needs rest and can be back by week 3, then that would be a different story. We're not talking about a RB, DE, not even a head coach. We all know the importance of a good QB. That's why they are called a "franchise" QB. Every choice, whether major or minor, directly or indirectly, is based on his presence. Win now or build build for the future? Sign the free agent? Keep the vet? Keep the coach? Change the coordinator? The diagrams in the playbook. Every move the Colts made is six degrees of separation from "Luck is our QB til @ least 2025".

Knowing that, as frustrating as it may be for him, the fans and organization wouldn't be wrong to expect Luck to tough it out and play this season. Not retire 2 weeks before the year kicks off. Luck's retirement is his choice to make, but it's in reality a selfish one. If, in NFL terms, his injury is a relatively minor one. So while I wouldn't boo, as a Colts fan I'd initially think my franchise QB should, frankly, suck it up. This is football. Pain is in the job description. Unless long term of quality of life is threatened you expect a QB to deal w/an ankle sprain.

Of course, none of the above matters if Luck's latest injury is more than what we've been told. But you can't blame Indy fans because they weren't given all the information.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 08-25-2019, 10:21 AM   #7
Reed
All Star Starter

In 6 seasons
Torn cartilage in 2 ribs
Torn abdomen
Lacerated kidney
At least 1 concussion, maybe more
Torn labrum in throwing shoulder, surgery, had setback and missed 2017 season
Current/recurring calf/ankle injury.

I am sure he hoped to play this year but I do not blame him for deciding he is not ready and it is not worth it. I can understand fans being disappointed but they are not the ones getting injured.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:02 AM   #8
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

I certainly wouldn't have booed him, but I can understand the frustration.

Interesting to find out how this hits the cap going forward, not sure how much was guaranteed on his last contract and how that will play out.

Let's Go Crew
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 01:25 PM   #9
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Just amazes me how they are letting him keep the money. Unreal. The dif between how Barry Sanders and Megatron were treated in comparison.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 08-25-2019, 03:28 PM   #10
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

That's a horrible decision for Andrew Luck to have to make, respect to him.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:28 PM   #11
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
Just amazes me how they are letting him keep the money. Unreal. The dif between how Barry Sanders and Megatron were treated in comparison.
Difference is they were healthy and retiring more for personal reasons.
It would be like paying an injured worker over a worker that just quit.
If Luck was healthy and just walked away then i could see them as the same.
But whens the last time Luck was healthy?
For a guy named Luck he sure has been unlucky with injuries.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:12 PM   #12
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballMan View Post
Difference is they were healthy and retiring more for personal reasons.
It would be like paying an injured worker over a worker that just quit.
If Luck was healthy and just walked away then i could see them as the same.
But whens the last time Luck was healthy?
For a guy named Luck he sure has been unlucky with injuries.
1. I never heard of someone going on disability after an ankle sprain.
2. Calvin Johnson cited wear & tear on his body as the factor for his retirement just like Luck.
3. Once again, there is always an excuse for why one section is treated one way from another. Selective morality is never seen for what it really is as usual.

Irsay can do what he wants with his money. If I was loaded like him I wouldn't think twice about the money either. So I don't criticize him for it. I'm just amazed at the difference in treatment. That's all.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 08-26-2019, 01:08 AM   #13
thehef
Hall Of Famer

I'm not sure I understand the comparison to Luck and Sanders. By all accounts, Luck simply retired due to the inability to get healthy. Sanders, OTOH, "retired" as part of a contentious negotiation. IOW, ownership probably felt that Luck had made a good faith effort to honor his contract. Nobody can credibly say that Sanders did.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:53 AM   #14
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Sanders didn't "retire" He retired. Money was made an issue by the Lions because they were bitter @ Barry for some reason after all he did for the franchise. And they took him to court for 5-6 mil. Luck is walking away w/5 times that amount. And I strongly disagree Luck made a "good faith" effort to get back from what has been reported to be a sprained ankle. Like I said there is always a "reason". I'm just amazed.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance

Last edited by Cobra Mgr; 08-26-2019 at 01:56 AM.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:10 AM   #15
knightdreamer2k
Major Leagues

I understand as a fan being upset, but to boo? No I do not agree at all. It is his life, and the choice is his alone. He made a responsible decision and to boo him shows the selfishness of the fans. I should never have to remind anyone this but human beings do play the sports we love.
knightdreamer2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 02:20 AM   #16
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Sanders didn't "retire" He retired. Money was made an issue by the Lions because they were bitter @ Barry for some reason after all he did for the franchise. And they took him to court for 5-6 mil. Luck is walking away w/5 times that amount. And I strongly disagree Luck made a "good faith" effort to get back from what has been reported to be a sprained ankle. Like I said there is always a "reason". I'm just amazed.
From Barry's wiki page: "Sanders offered to pay back the entire $5.5 million in return for his release from the team. The Lions refused, stating they would welcome Sanders back to the team; otherwise, they would honor his announced retirement. Sanders' agent Lamont Smith lobbied the team to trade his client."

Maybe there's more to it. I haven't researched the episode and could be missing something. But it sure seems like Barry was simply tired of playing for the Lions (hard to blame him), and wanted to play elsewhere.

Whether Luck has made a "good faith" effort to honor is contract may be up for debate, but I don't think there is any question that Sanders did not.

Re "there is always a "reason"," I'm not sure what you mean. Reason for what?
Old 08-26-2019, 04:54 AM   #17
Sharkn20
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Actually 3 times that amount.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Sharkn20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:06 AM   #18
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
From Barry's wiki page: "Sanders offered to pay back the entire $5.5 million in return for his release from the team. The Lions refused, stating they would welcome Sanders back to the team; otherwise, they would honor his announced retirement. Sanders' agent Lamont Smith lobbied the team to trade his client."

Maybe there's more to it. I haven't researched the episode and could be missing something. But it sure seems like Barry was simply tired of playing for the Lions (hard to blame him), and wanted to play elsewhere.

Whether Luck has made a "good faith" effort to honor is contract may be up for debate, but I don't think there is any question that Sanders did not.

Re "there is always a "reason"," I'm not sure what you mean. Reason for what?
If my memory is correct, he told them he was thinking of retiring in the winter. He made it official B4 camp. The LIons then demanded a refund. He fought it. Lost. So he decided to try and make lemonade out of lemons and buy his freedom from Detroit and they refused. But all along he was retiring.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 08-27-2019, 10:59 AM   #19
ThatSeventiesGuy
Hall Of Famer

As a Colts fan, I wish the guy all the best. He's had a hell of a time staying healthy the last four seasons or so with the exception of 2018. I'm hoping the booing was more due to the timing than the decision itself, but I still don't condone it.
ThatSeventiesGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:07 PM   #20
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightdreamer2k View Post
I understand as a fan being upset, but to boo? No I do not agree at all. It is his life, and the choice is his alone. He made a responsible decision and to boo him shows the selfishness of the fans. I should never have to remind anyone this but human beings do play the sports we love.
I agree. We should remember, too, that teams release and trade players all the time, without any consideration for how loyal the player has been or how many times he played through pain, etc.
Cultural icons, gone but not forgotten: David Bowie, Lou Reed, William S. Burroughs, Tristan Tzara, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsburg, Jimi Hendrix, John Cage, Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls), Mike Hudson (The Pagans), Joey Ramone (Ramones), Stiv Bators (Dead Boys), Tomata Du Plenty (The Screamers), Joe Strummer (The Clash), Lester Bangs
Antonin is offline   Reply With Quote