Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:41 PM   #1
jmknpk2
All Star Reserve

How do you manage spring training?

I have a relatively simple system to handle spring training, which has deviated significantly from what I would consider standard traditional real-life spring training management.

Batting:
I usually have only my projected starting lineup and bench players in spring training, unless I have a player almost ready to bring up to the majors that I would like to use an option on and have get some major league experience. Players called up only because they are on the 40 man roster, I just don't use.

I make my daily spring training lineups based on the number of plate appearances players have already had during spring training. Batters with the least number of plate appearances start and play the entire game. Lineup order is based on plate appearances in ascending order (those with the least batting earliest).

I set defensive positions with a priority on those I'd like to learn a new position.

This assures that even my bench batters have had as much spring training experience as projected starters. This also results in a natural pattern of days off. If an individual player is in the starting lineup for so many consecutive days, he will build up enough plate appearances so that he will be automatically removed from the lineup for a day of rest.

I was considering using the DH during spring training in my non-DH league. I rethought this because pitchers seem like they need some batting experience during spring training. I'm not sure if I was just randomly lucky or pitchers benefited from batting during spring training. But my pitchers hit much better than expected, early in the regular season.

Pitching:
I usually bring up a couple or few minor league pitchers whom I have little hope will have more than a cup of coffee in the majors. I only use those backup pitchers in games where all other pitchers are tired. Those players usually don't get many spring training innings. They aren't taking away spring training experience from my projected opening day pitching staff. I do this so that I never need to use a pitcher who is less than 100% ready. And pitchers get as much spring training experience as possible without being overused.

My five man starting pitching staff rotation is followed, unless I have a 6th starter I am considering to use in the regular season. But I usually lean in favor of using that 6th starter as a reliever instead of starter.

Other than starters, I try to balance relief use of pitchers based on the number of batters faced. Whichever reliever has faced the least amount of batters, and is also 100% ready, I will use next in a game. This balances spring training pitching experience across all pitchers, including relievers. Near the end of spring training, I also take into consideration innings pitched, which can vary widely. I try to balance both innings pitched and batters faced equally among all pitchers, including starters, by the end of spring training. If a reliever needs more batters faced or innings pitched than a starter, I will start that reliever instead near the end.

At the beginning of spring training, when no relievers have pitched, I use the relievers with the most stamina first. With the idea my bullpen will get more experience earlier this way. Relievers with less stamina will be used last, and the relievers with more stamina will be 100% ready for use again, by the time all the relievers with less stamina have been used once. Though I typically need to use some of the backup relievers (which I doubt will have much major league impact) during the first time through starting rotation with a 45 pitch count.

Starters get a pitch count or inning count, which gradually increases throughout spring training:
1st start: 45 pitches or 3 innings.
2nd start: 60 pitches or 4 innings.
3rd start: 75 pitches or 5 innings.
4th and later starts: Up to 90 or 100 pitches, depending on circumstances such as stamina and how much the starter has already pitched.
In the last week of spring training, I don't use a starter unless they will have at least 6 days rest before opening day. I will use starters as relievers in this scheme in the last week if that fits best.

I usually have relievers pitch until they are "tired". Then they sit until they are back to 100%. I would try pulling them from a game a little bit earlier than they are "tired", but this is not so easy to project and estimate.
Of course, relievers will get more experience earlier in the season than later.

One other thing. I try to avoid long extra inning games which could tire my pitchers out. So I substitute the worst batters and worst pitchers when tied in the 9th inning, to hopefully lose the game quickly.

I am pretty satisfied with this strategy so far.

Last edited by jmknpk2; 11-23-2017 at 11:23 PM.
jmknpk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 12:53 AM   #2
MrBojangles
All Star Reserve

I'm intrigued.

Why are you satisfied with this strategy? Are there results achieved through this effort or is it more of a personal satisfaction?

For my part - I let my manager handle Spring Training.

I guess that makes us opposite ends of the spectrum - which is why I am so curious about your approach.
MrBojangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:08 AM   #3
beorn
All Star Starter

I could be way out of date, but last I knew, spring training in OOTP accomplished only two things (other than injuring players):

1) removing rust, which requires just a few games played, and
2) providing fielding experience at a position where the player is not yet all that experienced

To that end, I have always limited the playing time of important players. In an online league, I bench them for 5 games if it is going to be a 7 game sim. I tend to play young players who are still improving at their positions, and otherwise fill in with low value minor leaguers. (Again, I may be out of date, I have not watched a spring training game in a very long time, but last I knew, that is just about the same strategy employed by real life teams. Important veterans did not rack up a lot of innings in ST.)
beorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:07 AM   #4
old fat bald guy
Minors (Triple A)

What beom said. I manage the games to control things, but the idea (I think) is to play guys just enough to blow off the rust and hope you can avoid injuries. And maybe fool around with guys at positions they don't usually play. I also do the gradually increasing pitch-count thing the OP does, but I don't know if that helps.
old fat bald guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:32 PM   #5
metsguy234
Minors (Triple A)

I generally simulate about a week at a time, and cull my spring training roster each time. I may play out the last game or two of spring training if I have a decision about a roster spot I just can't figure out.

This is probably not the best way to play spring training as per how OOTP is designed, but I find it to be the most realistic. As someone mentioned above, it probably makes strategic sense to carry a huge roster and more or less bench your best players during spring training unless they're trying to learn a new position.
metsguy234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:47 PM   #6
jmknpk2
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Why are you satisfied with this strategy? Are there results achieved through this effort or is it more of a personal satisfaction?
I like to give players plenty of play time. I'm not sure exactly how much time it takes to knock off rust. I prefer to give them all about an equal share. Just feel they will all definitely be ready for the first game of the season. And if I am deciding which players to keep on the active roster, I have an equivalent set of spring training stats to compare.

I do try to teach players new positions when that is feasible. So, the more play time, the better they will learn a new position.

I've been playing out each game. Mostly so I can switch pitchers exactly when I'd like.
jmknpk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:09 PM   #7
drhay53
Major Leagues

Everyone on my 40 man roster goes to spring training but no more than that. Pitchers are given their exact planned roles for the season, with a 5 man rotation, and the extras from the 40 man aren't given a role. Starters in the lineup are slated in with my desired batting order, and the depth chart is auto-filled.

In the past I haven't felt good about the early season results when I go with a 6 man rotation or add a bunch of fluff to the roster. It always feels like guys get off to a slow start. It could just have been random luck, but this works for me so I stick to it.
drhay53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 03:34 AM   #8
Cobby
Minors (Triple A)

OK. I want to remove rust but also avoid injuries as much as possible. So ideally my established players would play just the minimum amount to remove the rust. The trouble is, I have no real idea how much is required. Beorn thinks that 2 days in 7 is sufficient. DrHay seems to think that his teams start off slowly if his starter's playing time is diluted much at all.

What I've been doing is using 7-day lineups and giving my established position players 3 starts out of 7. The rest of the slots are used for getting younger players experience at positions that their basic ratings indicate they could qualify for (or improve at). This goes for younger starting position players too - the exception to the 3 starts in 7 rule is for younger starters getting experience at new positions.

For pitchers, I set a 6-man rotation and strict order then set the pitch count limit to 77. (I just sort of picked 77 out of the hat. I did want it to be some multiple of 11 so that I don't have to move my fingers when I'm typing in the numbers). All of the relievers have their roles "unassigned".

Even though I'm using the 7-day lineups during spring training, I still go to the regular depth chart screen and just have the bench coach set it up. In the past my starters would get disgruntled about their role on the team if they weren't set as starters - something that I would do on occasion when I wanted a young player to get experience in that starter's position. Having the starters listed as such in the regular depth chart seems to keep them from getting all grumpy on me even though the regular depth chart isn't actually being used.

I do have a few non-roster invitees most years. These are good position player prospects that look to be within two years or so from making the team and need to get defensive experience. Or pitching prospects I want to get a look at. I have this idea in my head that inviting a player to spring training will allow for a more accurate scouting assessment. Once again, I have no idea if that's actually the case.

All-in-all, I'm happy with my little method. I haven't noticed my teams starting off slowly and I don't feel like spring training injuries are excessive. But, whether my players could play less or need to play more to knock off the rust - who knows?
Cobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 01:29 PM   #9
Romagoth
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by beorn View Post
I could be way out of date, but last I knew, spring training in OOTP accomplished only two things (other than injuring players):

1) removing rust, which requires just a few games played, and
2) providing fielding experience at a position where the player is not yet all that experienced

To that end, I have always limited the playing time of important players. In an online league, I bench them for 5 games if it is going to be a 7 game sim. I tend to play young players who are still improving at their positions, and otherwise fill in with low value minor leaguers. (Again, I may be out of date, I have not watched a spring training game in a very long time, but last I knew, that is just about the same strategy employed by real life teams. Important veterans did not rack up a lot of innings in ST.)
This is pretty much what I do as well; except I go even further. I bench ALL of my starters, especially pitchers, for 3 weeks and play all my backups/minor league call-ups. The last week or two of spring training is when I start playing my starters. This approach has worked well for me, at least regarding injuries as I've never had a major injury to a starting player.
Romagoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:27 AM   #10
kgor93
Minors (Single A)

I turn off spring training. Tbh, I'd rather learn about my team as I go.
kgor93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:34 AM   #11
beorn
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romagoth View Post
This is pretty much what I do as well; except I go even further. I bench ALL of my starters, especially pitchers, for 3 weeks and play all my backups/minor league call-ups. The last week or two of spring training is when I start playing my starters.
Actually, I do this the other way around. I tend to get the veterans' games in early. But I suppose my thinking is a bit gamey.

1) Give any injuries more time to heal before opening day.
2) The manual says that players on the ML roster do not accumulate rust, even if they are not playing. So once I figure the rust is removed, it should not come back just because they are benched. (Of course, I must once again admit I have not re-checked any of this recently.)
beorn is offline   Reply With Quote