Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 01-12-2020, 08:05 PM   #1141
campinginalaska
Minors (Single A)

As a huge Texans fan and a homer, I must say, with all hatred I can muster, F Bill O'Brien, F Romeo Crennel, and F the McNair family.

Yeah I love that they brought football back to Houston but they allowed Rick Smith to make all our GM decisions for so many years, bring on an angry little man in Bill O'Brien that looks like a deer in the headlights in every single major game and then become good friends with Bill, effectively meaning that we will literally never have another HC until he has another losing season. I am certain that Cal McNair doesnt even watch the games, if he did, he'd be on the phone right now calling John Dorsey or any other GM candidate cause his team just threw away their future to concede 51 unanswered points and Bill O'Brien said in the press conference "Yeah I had 24 points but... I'm not surprised I gave up 51 points to the Chiefs, its the Chiefs!" Poor excuse.

This guy went for it, 4th and 5th, in his own fourty, the same guy who was doubtful to go for it, 11 minutes left, down 17. He's wasted JJ's prime, Hop's prime, Watson's rookie contract and probably more to come. Can't wait for this franchise to implode eventually when everyone retires and buttchin finally gets exposed.
campinginalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:53 PM   #1142
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

carroll punts and never gets the ball back

meanwhile lafleur throws several times for the win while fat mike mccarthy no doubt is running and punting and trusting the defense. excellent coaching
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:54 PM   #1143
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

W/all the gps tech we have, don't we have something better available to help with whether someone made a 1st down or not?
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:01 PM   #1144
low
Hall Of Famer

Whew!
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:14 PM   #1145
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
W/all the gps tech we have, don't we have something better available to help with whether someone made a 1st down or not?
You'd think. But then again, while technology can certainly pinpoint the location of the ball in relation to the first down line, can it also determine the exact moment that a) the runner is down by contact, or b) his forward momentum is stopped? The latter is a judgement call. The former would require technology to determine when when a knee, elbow, shoulder, or whatever other body part is down, and that the downed body part is actually down due to opponent contact.

I'm reminded of some engineers putting together some diagrams and calculations of the JT Barret 4th down play where he was, highly controversially, ruled to have gotten a first down in the 2nd OT of the Michigan/Ohio State game in 2016. The calculations (which, incidentally, revealed both a stop short, and a first down, depending whose data you reviewed) did not appear to be of the type that could be done in the time it currently takes for current reviews. It involved triangulating based upon the position of still photographs, determining the position of the photographers, etc... Now maybe, with all the NFL cameras and some high-powered 'puters, that could be done pretty quickly. Especially if you put a sensor or transmitter in the ball... I dunno. (I'm sure the NFL has explored the idea... probably just a matter of time...)

The bottom line in this case is that it sure seemed like the refs, who bungle plenty and certainly bungled some today, got the placement of the ball (on the Rodgers to Graham pass) correct. To my live eye, I thought he came up just short. But in slo-mo, I saw that Graham's knees & so forth initially rolled over the defender rather than touching the ground. And so the refs, who IMO deserve most of the criticism they get, got that one right. Good for them.

(Either the refs, or the replay dudes, or the overall system botched that Seattle fumble call early in the game, though.)
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:24 PM   #1146
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
You'd think. But then again, while technology can certainly pinpoint the location of the ball in relation to the first down line, can it also determine the exact moment that a) the runner is down by contact, or b) his forward momentum is stopped? The latter is a judgement call. The former would require technology to determine when when a knee, elbow, shoulder, or whatever other body part is down, and that the downed body part is actually down due to opponent contact.

I'm reminded of some engineers putting together some diagrams and calculations of the JT Barret 4th down play where he was, highly controversially, ruled to have gotten a first down in the 2nd OT of the Michigan/Ohio State game in 2016. The calculations (which, incidentally, revealed both a stop short, and a first down, depending whose data you reviewed) did not appear to be of the type that could be done in the time it currently takes for current reviews. It involved triangulating based upon the position of still photographs, determining the position of the photographers, etc... Now maybe, with all the NFL cameras and some high-powered 'puters, that could be done pretty quickly. Especially if you put a sensor or transmitter in the ball... I dunno. (I'm sure the NFL has explored the idea... probably just a matter of time...)

The bottom line in this case is that it sure seemed like the refs, who bungle plenty and certainly bungled some today, got the placement of the ball (on the Rodgers to Graham pass) correct. To my live eye, I thought he came up just short. But in slo-mo, I saw that Graham's knees & so forth initially rolled over the defender rather than touching the ground. And so the refs, who IMO deserve most of the criticism they get, got that one right. Good for them.

(Either the refs, or the replay dudes, or the overall system botched that Seattle fumble call early in the game, though.)
I think the refs gave him a little bit more than he had gained, but he got it by a nose. Still there is only so much you can do. I just think it is silly to not give them a little help. Tennis has lasers to help judges w/line calls. It seems like they a multi billion dollar industry could come up w/something better than eyeballing it.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 01-12-2020, 11:41 PM   #1147
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by campinginalaska View Post
As a huge Texans fan and a homer, I must say, with all hatred I can muster, F Bill O'Brien, F Romeo Crennel, and F the McNair family.

Yeah I love that they brought football back to Houston but they allowed Rick Smith to make all our GM decisions for so many years, bring on an angry little man in Bill O'Brien that looks like a deer in the headlights in every single major game and then become good friends with Bill, effectively meaning that we will literally never have another HC until he has another losing season. I am certain that Cal McNair doesnt even watch the games, if he did, he'd be on the phone right now calling John Dorsey or any other GM candidate cause his team just threw away their future to concede 51 unanswered points and Bill O'Brien said in the press conference "Yeah I had 24 points but... I'm not surprised I gave up 51 points to the Chiefs, its the Chiefs!" Poor excuse.

This guy went for it, 4th and 5th, in his own fourty, the same guy who was doubtful to go for it, 11 minutes left, down 17. He's wasted JJ's prime, Hop's prime, Watson's rookie contract and probably more to come. Can't wait for this franchise to implode eventually when everyone retires and buttchin finally gets exposed.
"We will gladly trade you franchises" - signed every Browns fan......
ohiodevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:14 AM   #1148
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
carroll punts and never gets the ball back
Can someone tell me the logic behind that? What was it, 4th and 5 close to mid field with around 3 minutes left?

Time dictates you have to hold GB to three and out or you're going to have to burn all of your timeouts. So 6 and out at worst.

What difference does it make if you're doing that from the Packers 20 or near midfield? If they get two first downs it's over. IMO Seattle wasted an opportunity on that 4th down play by punting. The only possible reason to punt would be for better field position if they got the ball back. Is that worth losing the 4th down chance?
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:16 AM   #1149
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiodevil View Post
"We will gladly trade you franchises" - signed every Browns fan......
Browns got a new head coach. I never heard of him and can't remember his name. I think Garrett was available, why not him? Get yourselves some 8-8 seasons!
Old 01-13-2020, 02:26 AM   #1150
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Can someone tell me the logic behind that? What was it, 4th and 5 close to mid field with around 3 minutes left?

Time dictates you have to hold GB to three and out or you're going to have to burn all of your timeouts. So 6 and out at worst.

What difference does it make if you're doing that from the Packers 20 or near midfield? If they get two first downs it's over. IMO Seattle wasted an opportunity on that 4th down play by punting. The only possible reason to punt would be for better field position if they got the ball back. Is that worth losing the 4th down chance?
After the sack of Wilson on 3rd down, it was 4th-and-11 at Seattle's own 36. I think if it's an incomplete pass on 3rd down rather than a sack - and thus 4th-and-5 at the Seattle 42, they've probably go for it. But as it was, not as easy of a call.
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 05:12 AM   #1151
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
After the sack of Wilson on 3rd down, it was 4th-and-11 at Seattle's own 36. I think if it's an incomplete pass on 3rd down rather than a sack - and thus 4th-and-5 at the Seattle 42, they've probably go for it. But as it was, not as easy of a call.
Ok. I forgot about that sack.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:16 AM   #1152
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think the refs gave him a little bit more than he had gained, but he got it by a nose. Still there is only so much you can do. I just think it is silly to not give them a little help. Tennis has lasers to help judges w/line calls. It seems like they a multi billion dollar industry could come up w/something better than eyeballing it.
I think he got it too, although not by more than half a football.

The yellow line was incorrectly shown about a foot further than the actual first down so anyone using it to judge the replay is going to be wrong. The chains are before the 36
Attached Images
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:33 AM   #1153
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
Browns got a new head coach. I never heard of him and can't remember his name. I think Garrett was available, why not him? Get yourselves some 8-8 seasons!
Kevin Stefanski.....was the Vikings OC last year, been with them for 16 years. He was the guy that DePodesta and the Analytics people wanted last year but Dorsey wanted (and got) Kitchens. This time around the Analytics group won out....I am not a fan of the hire, but at this point I am used to the revolving door every two years.....we'll see, keeping expectations very low.

Last edited by ohiodevil; 01-13-2020 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:07 PM   #1154
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Kevin Stefanski.....was the Vikings OC last year, been with them for 16 years. He was the guy that DePodesta and the Analytics people wanted last year but Dorsey wanted (and got) Kitchens. This time around the Analytics group won out....I am not a fan of the hire, but at this point I am used to the revolving door every two years.....we'll see, keeping expectations very low.
Every two years? Isn't it every year recently? The Browns are a talented team. They are every bit the underachieving team my Cowboys are. It's depressing when you see teams like the Eagles and Steelers play like they did with the crap they had. More obviously, the Titans. Coaching matters.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:15 PM   #1155
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

This is the guy NFL teams are waiting to pick up once the NFL finishes their investigation. Let's keep in mind, he not only hurls racist insults & curses his children's mother. But HE POSTS HIMSELF DOING IT. He doesn't even have the mental capacity to recognize what it reveals about himself.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 01-13-2020, 05:36 PM   #1156
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This is the guy NFL teams are waiting to pick up once the NFL finishes their investigation. Let's keep in mind, he not only hurls racist insults & curses his children's mother. But HE POSTS HIMSELF DOING IT. He doesn't even have the mental capacity to recognize what it reveals about himself.
An absolute pile of trash.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:06 PM   #1157
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
Every two years? Isn't it every year recently? The Browns are a talented team. They are every bit the underachieving team my Cowboys are. It's depressing when you see teams like the Eagles and Steelers play like they did with the crap they had. More obviously, the Titans. Coaching matters.
They have had 7 coach/GM pairings since the Haslam's bought the team in 2012....yep....seven in eight years.....I think they underachieved this year because of how bad Kitchens was as a Head Coach. Hopefully they figure it out soon, I mean the Saints and Buccaneers eventually figured it out.

As much as I detest the Steelers and Ravens, they are two of the best run organizations in the league and they happen to be in our division. At least I have the memories of the mid/late 80s Browns teams even with the 'Drive' and 'Fumble' in there...at least I have seen playoff football here.

Last edited by ohiodevil; 01-13-2020 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:02 PM   #1158
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
They have had 7 coach/GM pairings since the Haslam's bought the team in 2012....yep....seven in eight years.....I think they underachieved this year because of how bad Kitchens was as a Head Coach. Hopefully they figure it out soon, I mean the Saints and Buccaneers eventually figured it out.
Don't hold your breath.

Question we should ask is, who is the favorite to be the new Browns GM &/or coach in 2022?
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 01-14-2020, 12:14 AM   #1159
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
Don't hold your breath.

Question we should ask is, who is the favorite to be the new Browns GM &/or coach in 2022?
Clearly that is what Josh McDaniels is waiting for, the 2022 search......
Old 01-14-2020, 09:22 PM   #1160
pilight
All Star Starter

Luke Kuechly retires at 28 due to multiple concussions
pilight is offline   Reply With Quote