Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 06-29-2019, 04:33 PM   #101
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

2 hours 20 minutes to get to the bottom of the 4th! Heh.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:58 PM   #102
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

Glad I stuck with that game! London Classic
Old 06-29-2019, 10:02 PM   #103
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

I'm impressed they got it done in under 5hrs. 14 pitching changes 49 baserunners. I want to know how Boston LF's went 0-6. Even John Smoltz hit one in the gap.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:48 AM   #104
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
I'm impressed they got it done in under 5hrs. 14 pitching changes 49 baserunners. I want to know how Boston LF's went 0-6. Even John Smoltz hit one in the gap.
Wow, yeah that's crazy.
Old 06-30-2019, 12:54 PM   #105
Hageneezz
All Star Reserve

I don`t like modern day baseball!
Hageneezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 02:39 PM   #106
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

I'm just seriously getting into the MLB this season. But I've come to the conclusion Boston's bullpen blows.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 06-30-2019, 03:14 PM   #107
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
I'm just seriously getting into the MLB this season. But I've come to the conclusion Boston's bullpen blows.
According to FanGraphs metrics, the Red Sox have the 6th best bullpen in MLB. Boston's pen has the highest K/9 in MLB at 10.78 per.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...ate=2019-12-31

Last edited by darkhorse; 06-30-2019 at 03:15 PM.
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:53 PM   #108
knightdreamer2k
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
According to FanGraphs metrics, the Red Sox have the 6th best bullpen in MLB. Boston's pen has the highest K/9 in MLB at 10.78 per.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...ate=2019-12-31
That is only strikeouts which has no bearing on the best bullpen.
knightdreamer2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 06:01 PM   #109
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightdreamer2k View Post
That is only strikeouts which has no bearing on the best bullpen.
"No bearing?"

There's a strong correlation between K rate and success in the big leagues for a hurler. And, we weren't discussing who had the best bullpen in MLB, but rather whether Boston has the worst, which obviously they don't.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:24 PM   #110
knightdreamer2k
Major Leagues

Quote:
"No bearing?"

There's a strong correlation between K rate and success in the big leagues for a hurler. And, we weren't discussing who had the best bullpen in MLB, but rather whether Boston has the worst, which obviously they don't.
They have the second most blown saves. They are the worst in the American league. Bullpen is measured by ERA and blown saves.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:32 PM   #111
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
They have the second most blown saves. They are the worst in the American league. Bullpen is measured by ERA and blown saves.
The Boston pen is also 5th in MLB with 21 wins, 6th in WAR, and 11th in ERA. Once again, nowhere the bottom in either MLB or the AL.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:56 PM   #112
knightdreamer2k
Major Leagues

Quote:
The Boston pen is also 5th in MLB with 21 wins, 6th in WAR, and 11th in ERA. Once again, nowhere the bottom in either MLB or the AL.
What are you talking about. Next to last in blown saves. Tell me what is the purpose of your bullpen?

To hold a lead. This isn't even a debate. All Boston is talking about is their bullpen. You have gotta to be kidding me.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:00 PM   #113
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Bullpen is measured by ERA and blown saves.
Quote:
What are you talking about. Next to last in blown saves. Tell me what is the purpose of your bullpen?

To hold a lead. This isn't even a debate. All Boston is talking about is their bullpen. You have gotta to be kidding me.
What, have we tossed out ERA now that nothing else fits with your argument?

Old 06-30-2019, 10:55 PM   #114
knightdreamer2k
Major Leagues

Quote:
What, have we tossed out ERA now that nothing else fits with your argument?

Last in the AL in blown saves means there is no argument. Please tell me what is Boston looking for at the trade deadline? Is Sox management happy with their bullpen? Whatever floats your boat.
Old 06-30-2019, 11:29 PM   #115
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Last in the AL in blown saves means there is no argument.
Yes, we can definitely agree they are last in blown saves. Other than that, you are wrong on every count.

The Red Sox are 12-11 in one run games and 6-3 in extra inning games. And, as mentioned before their bullpen is 5th in MLB in wins.

Since Kimbrel hasn't been replaced, it's no surprise the Red Sox feel in need of a lockdown closer.

Last edited by darkhorse; 06-30-2019 at 11:35 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 01:12 AM   #116
knightdreamer2k
Major Leagues

Quote:
Yes, we can definitely agree they are last in blown saves. Other than that, you are wrong on every count.

The Red Sox are 12-11 in one run games and 6-3 in extra inning games. And, as mentioned before their bullpen is 5th in MLB in wins.

Since Kimbrel hasn't been replaced, it's no surprise the Red Sox feel in need of a lockdown closer.

You're amazing. Someone else mentioned that Boston's bullpen is not very good, in which you replied epically that "no but they are 6th in k-rate."

I responded that they are next to LAST in blown saves. You epically try to defend an indefensible position posting a bunch of numbers, that doesn't deal with the main point of an ineffective bullpen. Blown saves lead to losses. If you can't hold down leads, you can't win.

Everything you said after that is fluff to save face. The point is the Boston bullpen is not good which the post that mentioned it was correct. I never said anything other than that. I am so done with you.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:03 AM   #117
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Nobody is happy with their bullpen. Rightfully to blame are the turbocharged moonshot baseballs. SP *and* RP ERAs in the AL are up 1/3 of a run compared to even last season, and starters on average log almost a full out less than in '18. That's another out that the bullpen has to collect… because of the turbocharged moonshot baseballs, which keep flying by the way.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:01 AM   #118
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You're amazing. Someone else mentioned that Boston's bullpen is not very good, in which you replied epically that "no but they are 6th in k-rate."
Incorrect. Boston's bullpen is 1st in all of MLB in K rate. They are ranked 6th in WAR. Neither figure remotely achievable by the worst bullpen in the American League.

Quote:
I responded that they are next to LAST in blown saves. You epically try to defend an indefensible position posting a bunch of numbers, that doesn't deal with the main point of an ineffective bullpen. Blown saves lead to losses. If you can't hold down leads, you can't win.
A bullpen's job is the same as the starting pitching, to prevent runs and help their team win games. The Red Sox pen is above average at both of those attributes.

Quote:
Everything you said after that is fluff to save face. The point is the Boston bullpen is not good which the post that mentioned it was correct. I never said anything other than that. I am so done with you.
The Red Sox have a positive record in one-run games and extra-inning games and their bullpen is 5th in MLB in wins. None of those numbers are achievable by the worst bullpen in the AL. I'll show you what the worst bullpen in the AL actually looks like for future reference.

The Orioles bullpen has a 6.18 ERA, has contributed minus -0.8 WAR, has a won-loss record of 6-17 with 14 saves, and surrenders 1.92 HR's per 9IP. All of those figures are dead last in the AL by a good margin. The Red Sox bullpen, by comparison, has a 4.37 ERA (8th), 2.7 WAR (5th), a 21-13 W-L (4th) with 17 saves, and gives up 1.24 HR per 9 IP (6th). In no facet other than blown saves are they even remotely bad. In summation, they have been above average and the save is about as useful a stat in determining the quality of performance as batting average or the game-winning RBI.

Last edited by darkhorse; 07-01-2019 at 08:27 AM.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:21 AM   #119
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

Am I alone in thinking the whole London experience was a complete joke? I'm normally a giant fan of MLB Network but I felt they went with the hard sell on this. Like they received a mandate from the league office to push it hard. The typical stuff you see from ESPN, which I expected at this point when I had to tune into that garbage network to watch. I get games in Japan, Mexico, anywhere in the Carribbean but nobody cares in England. I was just there last July, I asked around (I get it, small sample size) I didn't find anybody that cared. I would really like to know how many non U.S. Travelers really went to these game? Or if MLB took a page out of the NFL book and paid people to show wearing jerseys to make it look like they cared. As for the actual games that could be a longer post, but the league should be embarrassed to say the least. What did they make the pitchers use? Baseballs with a super ball core? Those balls were worse than the crap they make them use everyday here in the states. This may be my first and last controversial post. I tend to stay away from such things but for some reason this whole thing really rubbed me the wrong way this weekend and I wanted to vent.

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/showthread.php?t=326812

Last edited by Hrycaj; 07-01-2019 at 08:22 AM.
Hrycaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:17 AM   #120
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrycaj View Post
Am I alone in thinking the whole London experience was a complete joke? I'm normally a giant fan of MLB Network but I felt they went with the hard sell on this. Like they received a mandate from the league office to push it hard. The typical stuff you see from ESPN, which I expected at this point when I had to tune into that garbage network to watch. I get games in Japan, Mexico, anywhere in the Carribbean but nobody cares in England. I was just there last July, I asked around (I get it, small sample size) I didn't find anybody that cared. I would really like to know how many non U.S. Travelers really went to these game? Or if MLB took a page out of the NFL book and paid people to show wearing jerseys to make it look like they cared. As for the actual games that could be a longer post, but the league should be embarrassed to say the least. What did they make the pitchers use? Baseballs with a super ball core? Those balls were worse than the crap they make them use everyday here in the states. This may be my first and last controversial post. I tend to stay away from such things but for some reason this whole thing really rubbed me the wrong way this weekend and I wanted to vent.
I understand your suspicions. MLB went to London for monetary purposes period. They want to extend their brand. And they become more valuable if they can show investors, media & advertisers that they have a strong international reach.It would have been a PR nightmare to have a poorly attended game. I wasn't in England, of course, so I can't say one way or the other if interest was genuine or not. But I visit streaming sites that come from Europe & they show American sports. I'd doubt they would waste the effort if the games weren't getting ratings.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance