Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 05-08-2019, 04:18 PM   #1
Pivot
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Batting Potential

On my historical team, my older players (in their mid 30's) have more batting growth potential than most of my younger players. This doesnt seem right. Comments?

Separately, why do so many slow players (speed rating of 3-4) have igh steal ratings (14-15)?? Again, this doesn't seem right. Comments??
Pivot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:59 AM   #2
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pivot View Post
On my historical team, my older players (in their mid 30's) have more batting growth potential than most of my younger players. This doesnt seem right. Comments?

Separately, why do so many slow players (speed rating of 3-4) have igh steal ratings (14-15)?? Again, this doesn't seem right. Comments??
Generally with older players the potential rating you see is more about past glory then any actual future potential. As they decline their actual current rating retreats farther from their earlier potential and it is rare that they will regain any of this. Your younger players might never reach the heights that some of your older players once did but that doesn't mean they aren't already better options than your aging veterans now. Also, the younger the player the more chance that his potential rating might improve and he might end up reaching higher levels than is currently foretold.

As for the speed and stolen base ratings (and I'm just assuming you mean on a 1-20 rating scale)- think of this as the slow player who has good base-stealing savvy and picks his spots. Without good speed he isn't going to get that many opportunities to pick up steals, but when he does see an opportunity and goes for it he has a pretty good chance of being safe. Players with the kinds of ratings you describe will likely be the type to attempt something like 4 stolen bases in a season (at most, depending upon strategy settings and statistical modifiers, etc.), but with a good chance to be successful on 3 of those attempts. So you have to remember that these ratings work in combination in the game and then hopefully it will make more sense to you.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote