Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-28-2019, 02:11 PM   #21
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandersen View Post
When you guys sim, are you simming a week at a time? A game? A month? I've always basically played games out at the start of the year until I'm 5 games out or 5 games up for a playoff spot, then I'll start to sim a handful of innings, if I get a bigger lead or a bigger deficit, I will start to sim entire games. It may take me a month and a half or two to get through a season, but I'm more invested. Always interested in other peoples simming habits.
I'm currently playing as the GM only, simming day-to-day so far. However, considering on-field gore I've already witnessed, I might as well start simming a week at a time.

Apart from watching the crime against humanity that passes for Major league baseball in Miami these days, there's nothing else for me to do at this point until the draft.

Last edited by Caporegime; 03-28-2019 at 02:17 PM.
Caporegime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 03:16 PM   #22
Whoofe
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post
Crush the draft. This also means having lots of salary room so you can sign impossible players. If an impossible player who is highly rated draftee wants like 3 million you might have to give him like 7-10 million to sign him. Do it.

wait.... so "impossible" doesn't always mean "impossible"?
Whoofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 03:46 PM   #23
starfox64
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
When you guys sim, are you simming a week at a time? A game? A month? I've always basically played games out at the start of the year until I'm 5 games out or 5 games up for a playoff spot, then I'll start to sim a handful of innings, if I get a bigger lead or a bigger deficit, I will start to sim entire games. It may take me a month and a half or two to get through a season, but I'm more invested. Always interested in other peoples simming habits.
I rarely manage games, preferring more to build the team and watch them grow! I sim day by day and check the box score almost every day, and every month or so check in on the game logs on my top prospects. Might manage more when we have a chance to compete, by right now I'm just waiting on development to happen.
starfox64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 03:52 PM   #24
starfox64
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caporegime View Post
LMAO! I'm off to a running start as the Marlins' GM. The club is 1-17. Caleb Smith has an ERA over 12. There's no way that 2.5 star rating is accurate. He's more like - 4 stars.

Chen has the club's only win and is the ace of the staff. He's been solidly mediocre. Brinson has 6 HRs....5 of them solo shots. Fresh off the IL, Jorge Alfaro homered in his first game back...then promptly went right back on the IL (60-day this time) with a torn ligament.

A challenge is one thing, but this more like trying to raise the Titanic. It might actually take an exorcism or two to slay the demons dogging this franchise.

How's everyone else doing so far?

2019 was...rough to say the least, as I finished with the second-worst record in the league at 60-102.

Just wrapped up 2020 and saw a marked improvement, finishing at 72-90 with -- get this -- the least runs allowed in the National League! My international signing won the ERA title barely over deGrom, and my big trade acquisition Chris Archer performed very well too. You might be wondering, how did you then finish 18 games under .500? Well...the bad news. We finished last in every single offensive category, outside of SBs (1st with 163 including 71 !!! from speed god Billy Hamilton), with a dreadful .210 team average, 523 runs scored, and a mere 2.2 WAR from ALL batters. So yeah, there's a lot of work to do this offseason. But things are looking up in Miami!
Old 03-28-2019, 04:06 PM   #25
starfox64
Minors (Single A)

....and the NL just introduced the DH in my save O.o

Last edited by starfox64; 03-28-2019 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:24 PM   #26
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoofe View Post
Should be highly improbable. They could ask for significantly above 5 million. It might take 10-12 million. You only get 1 offer so better make it crazy high if they are top 5 overall prospect and your stealing them in round 3 just for a ridiculous signing bonus.

I've had to give people asking significantly more then 3 million 8.5 million before.

But if you get all min budget players then you should have plenty of cash to do this during your rebuilding years.

Or you can skip a year. Draft rounds 1-3 offer 1 buck. You get comp pick the next year when they don't sign. MLB teams knowingly draft players that already signed to college all the time. No shot at signing them don't want to spend 1st round Monday this year so they basically use a loophole to "defer".
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 05:45 PM   #27
chriskelly
All Star Reserve

OK. I'm taking the fish challenge. House rules are trades hard / favor prospects. I'm allowed to do 1 FA pickup, waiver pickup and trade per month. Trades are 2 for 2, maybe 3 for 3, but that's it, with no cash. we will see!
chriskelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 05:55 PM   #28
starfox64
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskelly View Post
OK. I'm taking the fish challenge. House rules are trades hard / favor prospects. I'm allowed to do 1 FA pickup, waiver pickup and trade per month. Trades are 2 for 2, maybe 3 for 3, but that's it, with no cash. we will see!
Trust me, challenge mode with no house rules is tough enough as is...
Old 03-29-2019, 12:51 PM   #29
starfox64
Minors (Single A)

Another improvement from the squad in 2021, finishing just below .500 at 80-82. Biggest offseason news was my failed pursuit of an 80/80 IFA that left me with a stupid amount of cap space in ST with no one to spend it on...so I splashed on Kimbrel (lol) and now have three 80/80 guys with probably the best bullpen in the league. Best farm system in the league with three specs in OSAs top ten, things are again LOOKING UP!
Old 03-29-2019, 01:17 PM   #30
jcmurr
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoofe View Post
No, but the bonus required to sign one is hardly worth it unless he’s incredible. It seems rare that the top overall prospect is an “impossible sign” for me but that might just be anecdotal. Because of that, I tend to pass first 3 rounds at even looking at them and hope to snag one after. At the very least, you can get a look at an estimated price during negotiation at low risk.

Though it’s not guaranteed, I typically offer ~30% above their ask and cap it at 10-12 mil. I’ll sign one of these guys every 3-5 years depending on what I’m looking for.

Last edited by jcmurr; 03-29-2019 at 01:19 PM.
jcmurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 01:38 PM   #31
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post

Wrc+ and woba are great stats. But you also must look at their bb% and k%.

My first guess is your team strikes out too much and doesn't walk enough. Or walks enough but strikes out tremendously.

All the contact and power won't help sometimes if you k all the the time and don't walk.
turns out it was just some initial bad luck, team is rolling, on pace for over 100 wins, lineup top 2 in the NL for runs, pitching staff #1 for runs against.
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 01:41 PM   #32
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caporegime View Post
LMAO! I'm off to a running start as the Marlins' GM. The club is 1-17. Caleb Smith has an ERA over 12. There's no way that 2.5 star rating is accurate. He's more like - 4 stars.

Chen has the club's only win and is the ace of the staff. He's been solidly mediocre. Brinson has 6 HRs....5 of them solo shots. Fresh off the IL, Jorge Alfaro homered in his first game back...then promptly went right back on the IL (60-day this time) with a torn ligament.

A challenge is one thing, but this more like trying to raise the Titanic. It might actually take an exorcism or two to slay the demons dogging this franchise.

How's everyone else doing so far?
i was also disappointed with caleb smith's initial ratings. i even bumped him up a little bit, but he still never got good results so i ended up dfa'ing him unfortunately. i really like him in real life too
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 01:59 PM   #33
starfox64
Minors (Single A)

2022, off to a 32-22 start, easily the best since the beginning of the save. Here are some of the team leaders, the pen is absolutely lights out.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 03-29-2019, 02:08 PM   #34
starfox64
Minors (Single A)

Just traded for a top-10 catcher too!
Old 03-29-2019, 05:16 PM   #35
mandersen
Minors (Triple A)

I feel like a similar scenario with the Orioles would be fun, and since I'm a Cubs fan in RL I prefer to sim AL teams
mandersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 05:21 PM   #36
starfox64
Minors (Single A)

Any updates from fellow GMs? I’ve made the first playoffs with the team in 2023, but haven’t gotten the chance to play in a while.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:01 PM   #37
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marlin View Post
If you are a Marlins fan then you hate this man. Ditto is you are an Expos fan. If you try to "save" the Marlins in OOTP you will come to hate him too. I give you the cause of your sleepless nights and OOTP frustrations. The evil SOB who made the mess you are now trying to clean up:

he bilked the local community out of hundreds of millions of dollars, too... only ~1/5th of people are sports fan and any public tax money going to stadium is a total crock of sh%t.

some financial statements leaked a few years after that... he was making ~20-50M/year and that's accounting nonsense numbers. (i.e. totally fake and severely undervalued #'s)

tried to say he didn't make any money off the team, which is/was a total fabrication.

i think billionaires and their corporations get enough handouts... far outweighing any social safety net by far... too bad people don't understand scale.

Last edited by NoOne; 04-11-2019 at 08:02 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:05 PM   #38
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallewalls View Post
Man I don’t know if it’s because marlins park is such an extreme pitchers park or if it’s bad luck because I am not finding much luck with my hitters. I have multiple guys 65+ overall according to my scout but am lucky if I have three members of my everyday lineup with a wRC+ above 100. This has been my biggest challenge so far. My team has a lot of talent, as we were projected for 100+ wins in 2021 but the lineup is really struggling to score runs in the early part of the season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
that's within volatility of that type of player... some years are bad, some good... few inbetween.

the only truly consistent ones, and even tehy have bad years, are the 76+batters... and then pitching is just more complicated to draw a line like that... far more exceptions than batters.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:07 PM   #39
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
i sim a game at a time, but only to ensure the right order of SP. i'm just mindlessly doing it until a problem arises or i need to tweak something or look around for funt etc.

i like to complete many years. i want to turn my team over and create history. that's what i spend leisure time looking over -- outside of sim-managing a team.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:52 PM   #40
Ghost Town
Minors (Single A)

Getting ready to start my first game of OOTP 20 and am going to undertake the Marlins challenge. (I was thinking about the Orioles, but I think the Marlins are probably a little harder.)

Haven't played OOTP since OOTP 18, which was my first real go 'round with the game, and I had tremendous success turning around the Padres into a dynasty.

Do trades still need to be put on Very Hard/Favor Prospects, or is Hard the right setting for OOTP 20?
Ghost Town is offline   Reply With Quote