Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:13 PM   #121
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpidbeaver View Post
  1. I'd really like to be able to instruct my minor league managers to play some players a different defensive position, but not have to force start them at that position. I'm not sure if it's realistic, but I don't necessarily want to have that guy completely take over that position. Rather, I'd like to mix in some starts, maybe have him come in for some reps during blowouts or whatever. I like having the AI handle lineups for the most part, but would also like some influence on how those players are handled. Influence, not total control. It would be cool to also have hard-headed managers refuse or resist those "suggestions."

Actually you can do this already. You can change how certain players are used on what positions they play at. You can also set innings limits, pitch counts, and things like that in the player profile pages. It's a little hands on but not too burdensome.
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:56 PM   #122
texasmame
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
We haven't finalized the list for next year, so idle speculation can definitely help us narrow down the final feature list.
*waves hand magically*

Smell-a-vision.

But seriously

1. The ability to highlight certain years and get aggregates of a player's stats from those years only - like Baseball-Reference does.

If not that, at least the "last three years" average of a player should be available somewhere.

2. How about getting the play-by-play during the 3D presentation to be as detailed as the non-3D PBP. I know we're "watching" the game with the 3D but that doesn't mean the "color" painted by the PBP needs to be any less.

3. The ability to drag the 3D on-field text markers with right click just like on the non-3D game screen.

4. Trading AI that changes with the team's status. If "rebuilding," they should be looking at unloading expensive, productive vets for prospects. If "win now," they should be more willing to give up more in trades to get pieces they need, etc. The generic trading AI (favors vets, favors prospects across the board) has always stuck me as woefully inadequate for a game of this quality.

As the defending NL West Champions, the SALMON fall to the wildcard Dakota Rushmores in the first round in seven games.

Last edited by texasmame; 01-05-2017 at 04:01 PM.
texasmame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:28 AM   #123
diesel230
All Star Reserve

If a player makes it to the Majors or your leagues equivalent, even for one game, i would like to see his retired facegen show that teams logo and colors rather than, for example a single A or independent team he had the most career games with.
diesel230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:28 PM   #124
SaoMagnifico
Minors (Double A)

My wishlist, in no particular order:

1. Realistic fall/winter leagues. I don't know how this would be coded, but the idea would be that you could "loan" players from your major league team to an independent fall or winter league team, and they would return either after a set amount of time or at the end of that fall/winter season. An option whereby teams from different leagues could loan players to the same fall or winter league teams would be cool, too -- the old winter league in Hawaii used to feature players from both the MLB and Japan, and I believe the new Curacao Winter League is open to players from the MLB, Latin American leagues, and the Honkbal Hoofdklasse.

2. Better schedules. The stock schedule generator is pretty crude; on my 32-team setup (two subleagues, each with four divisions of four teams apiece), every year, my NL East team opens the year by playing a team from the NL North, and it plays a few series against the AL East. Never any variance. An easier way to customize the schedule (rather than editing the schedule file or individually creating and changing day-by-day game matchups, which takes ages to do) would be great. Options I'd really like to see would include choosing which divisions play each other in interleague play if it's enabled and setting up "rivalries" in which teams play home-and-home series every year, like the existing Subway Series, Beltway Series, Freeway Series, etc.

3. Smarter free agents. In the real world, you would never see someone like Yoenis Cespedes sign as a fourth outfielder on a team that had Mike Trout, Bryce Harper, and Andrew McCutchen in the outfield, but that sort of thing happens all the time in OOTP right now. Only occasionally will a free agent tell me he won't sign because there's not a clear spot for him in the starting lineup. That should happen more often. Similarly, free agents should be smart enough not to insist on getting an eight-year contract for $50M per year on the eve of spring training, only to turn around and accept a three-year deal earning $1M per year as soon as spring training starts because no one else is bidding for his services. It's common for free agents to sign late and have to take a bad deal, but the way this is currently coded makes it easy for a savvy GM to totally exploit players and sign them to contracts their real-world equivalents would never accept.

4. More/better ethnic groups and namesets. Right now, players generated from places like the Dutch Caribbean are predominantly white with predominantly Dutch/Flemish names that don't exactly fit with real-world players from the ABC islands like Xander Bogaerts, Kenley Jansen, Andrelton Simmons, and Jurickson Profar. I'd also like to see less generic ethnic groups than "African" and "Polynesian", considering the incredible diversity of those regions; for example, I'd love to add the real-world league in Palau to my games, but the namesets are just not great.

5. More realistic suspensions and ejections. In the real world, players charging the mound make up a pretty small percentage of those who get tossed or suspended, and benches-clearing brawls often lead to players other than the pitcher and batter getting tossed -- and sometimes lead to injuries as well. Particularly combative players taking exception to a collision on the basepaths or a home run being hit off them by a cocky young batter would make for an interesting dynamic, especially if in certain situations, managers could be ejected and/or suspended as well -- as in the real world.

Just a few ideas.

Last edited by SaoMagnifico; 01-07-2017 at 09:29 PM.
SaoMagnifico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 04:04 AM   #125
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

My biggest wish. No more position players sac bunting in the late innings with a 3+ run lead when playing a modern MLB set up. Please. This really can't be that hard to program.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:10 PM   #126
drksd4848
All Star Starter

I hope the Historical exhibition feature gets some lovin'. This year was a great start, but hopefully:

- we can have a multiple playoff round tournament

- the ability to set uniforms and stadiums without having to quit out and restart the game. As of now, if you quit out and restart and you have teams from different years playing each other, both teams will default to the later year.

For example, if one team is from 1969 and the other team is from 1980, if you quit out to change the uniforms/stadiums, when you re enter, both teams will be from 1980.

Oh, and one more thing: Can the little Pawns swarm the mound to celebrate when the win a championship series? Sort of like when they brawl, only the opposing teams' pawn doesn't run out to the mound to beat up the pitcher!

Last edited by drksd4848; 01-09-2017 at 12:18 PM.
drksd4848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:37 PM   #127
WIUPIKE
All Star Starter

A few suggestions I have.

- Player development contracts. (Ability to change minor league affiliations, each minor league team have some sort of attributes that would mean something. (Field Conditions, Accommodations, Batting Cages, Bus or Plane)

- Expansion process starts 2 years prior to inaugural year season to start developing minor league system.

- Able to sort prospects in trade screen by osa ranking. (use to be able to but have seen that go away in recent versions)

-Trade AI to see better rebuild and win now options. Teams looking to rebuild will sell players for prospects and win now teams may over pay prospects for starter.

- Shop a player- ability to ask for prospects only or certain age range of players (these would be the only one for ones offered).

- Increase scouting staff- Have additional scouting staff for drafts and minor leaguers to have multiple opinions on players.

- Adding more staff 1B/3B coach- Minor league instructors (Better they are better for development)

- In team history for team drafted players ability to see player MLB stats..
(EX- Round 1 (Player X) -1000 Games 950 hits .238 BA 65HR 50SB)
WIUPIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:10 PM   #128
Statsman1
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIUPIKE View Post

- Shop a player- ability to ask for prospects only or certain age range of players (these would be the only one for ones offered).

I have been asking for this for a few iterations of OOTP already - when I shop a player, it would be great to be able to specify what I would like to get back in return - nothing worse than looking for a young 2B and being offered 40-year-old RFs in return for your decent pitching prospect.

No offers that fit my specs? Saves me a LOT of time when looking over the results.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:15 PM   #129
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
- Player development contracts. (Ability to change minor league affiliations, each minor league team have some sort of attributes that would mean something. (Field Conditions, Accommodations, Batting Cages, Bus or Plane)
Those conditions in the brackets really don't matter much anymore after the requirements MLB imposed on minor league facilities in the early 1990s. The biggest requirement for ML clubs these days seems to be geographical proximity for their higher minor league affiliates. That's a trend that's been ongoing for a few years now.

As a feature, I really don't see this having much appeal for the user playing an MLB club. Where the minor league players are is of vastly lesser importance compared to the abilities of those players and how they are developing. PDCs might be of interest to someone who is the GM of a minor league club, but then, OOTP does not really recreate affiliated minor league club expenses (which is where PDC considerations might play a role, in terms of the prestige of the ML parent, or quality players a particular ML parent club might provide).

Last edited by Le Grande Orange; 01-09-2017 at 03:19 PM.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:27 AM   #130
Elektranaut
Major Leagues

The almanac to morph into baseball reference
Elektranaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:53 AM   #131
cienpelusas
Minors (Single A)

The ability to search/filter players by any in-game available stat given its value. That would be a massive improvement while looking for players that fall inside what you're exactly trying to get.
cienpelusas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:22 AM   #132
westendcards
All Star Reserve

I would love the ability to edit stats within the game. I am not a fan of exporting, dealing with the CSV file then importing. Allow access to an editor screen so we can edit the player stats.
westendcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:33 PM   #133
SaoMagnifico
Minors (Double A)

Quote:

- Expansion process starts 2 years prior to inaugural year season to start developing minor league system.

- Able to sort prospects in trade screen by osa ranking. (use to be able to but have seen that go away in recent versions)

-Trade AI to see better rebuild and win now options. Teams looking to rebuild will sell players for prospects and win now teams may over pay prospects for starter.

- Increase scouting staff- Have additional scouting staff for drafts and minor leaguers to have multiple opinions on players.

- Adding more staff 1B/3B coach- Minor league instructors (Better they are better for development)

- In team history for team drafted players ability to see player MLB stats..
(EX- Round 1 (Player X) -1000 Games 950 hits .238 BA 65HR 50SB)
I love all of these. 1B coach could improve (or hurt) team stolen bases, 3B coach could improve (or hurt) team baserunning.
SaoMagnifico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:27 AM   #134
tward13
All Star Starter

Handling of Doubleheaders in 7 day line-up screen. Have a Game1/Game2 link for the day with the DH and let you set separate line-ups for each.

This will help control pitcher use and let you start different guys in each game. It's been a request for many years now.
tward13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:34 AM   #135
drksd4848
All Star Starter

Expanded powers as commissioner:

- The power to veto any of the changes that occur as a result of a Dynamic League change

For added depth, you could get a email during the winter meetings period that says, "The owners have voted in favor of adding the DH. Accept or reject?" Or "The owners have voted down your decision to add a luxury tax. Override?" The owners could also be allowed to remove you as commissioner. How about that?

For even more added dept, you could have a Bud Selig type option that allows you to blackmail owners who go against your decision making. (kidding)

- Force owners to spend more money on their teams (my fictional league has a lot of cheapskates) This would be like a dialogue check box, as opposed to editing each owner's tendencies.

- Contraction, with a dispersion draft. I know you can manually do this, but how about a check box in a Dynamically evolving league? Or it could automatically happen after a pair of teams have five straight years of operating losses. I.e. If a team is in the red for a certain amount of years... bye bye!

The key is adding the dispersion draft, which as far as I know, doesn't exist in OOTP. All players in a team's (or more than one team's) organization would be placed in a pool and then a draft would a occur in the league menu.

Either way, there should be some consequence for teams that are not profitable - like bankruptcy - and a league's commissioner should be allowed to take some sort of action.

Last edited by drksd4848; 01-13-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:52 AM   #136
drksd4848
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tward13 View Post
Handling of Doubleheaders in 7 day line-up screen. Have a Game1/Game2 link for the day with the DH and let you set separate line-ups for each.

This will help control pitcher use and let you start different guys in each game. It's been a request for many years now.
Concurrently, with that point: how about modifying players fatigue recovery. Say you have a catcher who is tired but has a hot bat. If you rest him at his position, but use him as a DH or a pinch hitter, he will still have some percentage of fatigue recovery. As in, he'll recover, but not as fast or he will still have complete rest if used exclusively as a pinch hitter. If he's forced to play the field, no recovery.

I think this ties in with double headers and resting players and stuff.

Last edited by drksd4848; 01-13-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:03 PM   #137
zukes
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drksd4848 View Post
Concurrently, with that point: how about modifying players fatigue recovery. Say you have a catcher who is tired but has a hot bat. If you rest him at his position, but use him as a DH or a pinch hitter, he will still have some percentage of fatigue recovery. As in, he'll recover, but not as fast or he will still have complete rest if used exclusively as a pinch hitter. If he's forced to play the field, no recovery.

I think this ties in with double headers and resting players and stuff.
Co-sign this. I hate having a hot bat and having to take him out to rest. Playing at DH for a couple days should slowly get him back to 100%. So should using him as a pinch hitter or runner only.
zukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 03:41 PM   #138
SxSnts9
Minors (Double A)

I think this is an easy fix and I'm sure it's been suggested already, but the 26th man option for doubleheaders. I'm pretty sure the MLB allows teams to call up one extra player on days when the parent club has a double header. I'd like to be able to call up a spot starter or an extra utility guy if I have a few guys Day-To-Day. It's what the real clubs do.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:11 PM   #139
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

from MLB transaction rules for dummies:

"Roster Sizes: 25 players ...... There is one exception, new this year (2010): Rosters will expand to 26 players for certain regular or split doubleheaders during the year."
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:28 PM   #140
metsguy234
Minors (Triple A)

A few things I'd appreciate:

-Managerial history for each team - list of managers, their record with the team, and date they were hired and left (Football Manager has this, more or less)

-A way to allow players to play for multiple teams. This would be a work-around to do something like the World Baseball Classic or a winter league without the devs necessarily needing to code it into the game.

-News coverage of milestones being reached - I usually only find out about single-season or career records being broken by players not on my team after the fact

-Fix Rookie of the Year voting. For some reason, in my league, pitchers are only winning the award about once every 20 years. This isn't realistic. Apologies if that was addressed in a patch that I missed.

-Fix prospect rankings. My top prospect lists are often filled with guys that are 25 and 26 years old, or guys that neither my scout nor the OSA think have much potential.

-A small fix with regards to retired numbers - I would love if you could retire a player's number from inside of his profile - or, at the least, somehow have the game write up one of those blurbs for you when you retire it with a link to the player page

-More (optional) off-the-field storylines. I find these to be really entertaining and they really bring the game to life. I'd love to see some more of these written up with the option to turn them on or off.
metsguy234 is offline   Reply With Quote