Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 02-18-2014, 05:54 PM   #221
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by byzeil View Post
Pitching Roles. I think the 'stopper' was added in v13 (maybe) but it is only available based on the what years the league is based. It was put in for historical leagues I believe.

I would like to see the 'stopper' available for all years. You don't have to use it but I'd like to see it available in league well into the future.
I don't think it has anything to do with the year. The stopper is triggered by choosing 'rarely' when it comes to use of closers.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:19 AM   #222
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with the year. The stopper is triggered by choosing 'rarely' when it comes to use of closers.
"Normal" sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. But OOTP15 should probably include it even if it's set to "Very Often", considering the sabermetric uses of the Stopper role.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:03 PM   #223
Kammich
Minors (Single A)

I'm not sure if this thread is open or not, with the game being in the production stages by now i'm sure, but here are a handful of things I've always wanted to see...

-better options for the customizable awards. i.e. a certain type of criteria for real life awards- we control the names, and then pick from a scroll-list for what they actually stand for. AND/OR or just also: adding silver sluggers, making MVP an award pitchers can win if the year is good enough. If this happens, these two things- and MVP can be batters & pitchers + the silver sluggers... 1 customizable award that we could handle is more than fine. Maybe make it so we can add more than 1 customizable award?

something to that effect.

--
Adding of the 20k import posting fee section to the off-season. Player chooses the team to sign with (assuming in both offline dynasties we'll play for fun/documentation, as well as online & competitively, there should be more than 1 team with 20mil posting bids)..... the 'posting fee' could be adjustable- perhaps if some GMs preferred for online leagues for it to act as a luxury tax for the rest of the league, that could work- or if there is a way to just integrate it to storyline should a Japanese feeder league- accurate or not- be so that 20mil is subtracted from a team's funds but does not go towards the contract, and only is refunded if the team & player cannot reach an agreement. I think from there it could be customizable as well, but in a simple way such as an import player can only be posted 1-X(owner has control) times tops and then can choose free agency right when his posting time runs out if he reaches no agreement by then.

two things i'd love to see- i was very encouraged to see that there will be an international signing period in the offseason in addition to more farm space for younger prospects. I'm super excited Pre-ordered, and cannot wait to immerse myself.

(OH! One last thing. Perhaps the coding for historical teams could be fixed in an extremely minute way, just enough to make adding jerseys and icons etc. etc. for those years and the respective imagery that matched up? It can be hard unless it's a quickstart or you're lucky and have the logos in an old zip or can find them fast! It would be cool....if possible!)

thanks guys- I love the work, and to be perfectly honest, the '2013 update' has a lot of features that seem fixed, stats look better, etc. Best OOTP franchise as far as realism has gone in a long time, saved for not micromanaging S1 of the draft ..

So I'm really looking forward to 15 Thanks for all the hard work!
Old 02-20-2014, 08:54 PM   #224
byzeil
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Didn't know that. If that is the case then my request would be just to make it available all the time. In on-line leagues I can't control the settings.
byzeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:58 PM   #225
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by byzeil View Post
Didn't know that. If that is the case then my request would be just to make it available all the time. In on-line leagues I can't control the settings.
Didn't think of the online angle.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:48 AM   #226
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

I'd like to see the trading block actually mean something in solo play.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:15 AM   #227
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

also..we should receive stories about the hiring of staff by teams' which we do not.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:51 PM   #228
chimanbj
All Star Reserve

The notion of being able to invite a player to Spring Training without a promise of a roster spot would be fantastic. As it stands now, if the player is put on the ML roster during spring training, the contract becomes valid. I hope my post makes sense...
Old 02-21-2014, 04:22 PM   #229
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimanbj View Post
The notion of being able to invite a player to Spring Training without a promise of a roster spot would be fantastic. As it stands now, if the player is put on the ML roster during spring training, the contract becomes valid. I hope my post makes sense...
it does not promise the player a spot, which would be a Bug, I can still send to minors, DFA or outright release them.
le receveur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:41 PM   #230
chimanbj
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by le receveur View Post
it does not promise the player a spot, which would be a Bug, I can still send to minors, DFA or outright release them.
Hmmm...I need to test that. I want to see if I still get charged for the contract.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:31 PM   #231
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Historical schedule game times should be fixed, right now they're coded on Eastern Time instead of local time. (Don't forget historical time zone changes - Detroit was in Central Time in the sixties, and the 2007 daylight savings change affects early-season Arizona home games...)

Among similar lines, the 2002 schedule's team assignment errors should be fixed, and the rotation of teams year-to-year in fictional schedules should actually work properly.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:24 AM   #232
byzeil
All Star Starter

Rule 5 Draft

nevermind. Just tested the issue and it works correctly.

Last edited by byzeil; 02-28-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:04 AM   #233
greendiver
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by landru22 View Post
I'm sorry if this was addressed already in this thread (I'm admittedly too lazy to read through the whole thing)
Also, to qualify, I tend to put OOTP away in November and pichk it up again as Spring Training starts, so I'm doing these from memory.

A larger and more nebulous set of responses from the pitcher and catcher when you visit the mound.

Catchers lead off far too often

Too many good hit no field shortstops. Defense should be more of a priority here and in CF.

AI signs too many long term deals with 36+ players.

An Undo key. Too many times I get in a rhythm and let the pitcher bat when I needed to pinch hit.

I agree with PSU Colonel- I'd like the trading block to mean something in solo play.
greendiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:41 AM   #234
JMDurron
All Star Starter

Season records notifications in the PbP text and news stories don't take into effect fresh ones once you've set them in a historical league.

In my current Historical League, started in 1974, the single-season walks record was 170 by Babe Ruth in 1923. In 1982, Dwight Evans set the new mark at 191. In 1983, he had 177, moving Ruth down to 3rd. It is now 1984, and I'm paying more attention to the PBP text, and it was saying that Evans had the "2nd most walks of all time" once he got into the mid-160s. Once he got walk #171, the PBP congratulated him on setting the all-time record. The problem is that he didn't, it's only his third best season!

This may be something that is specific to a particular player's records not being considered. In my "fix Red Sox history" league, started in 1901, Babe Ruth keeps getting credit for breaking the single-season HR record set by any current or past player in the league except for himself. One year, he got credit when he hit #29, and finished the season with 43. The following year, he had 47 HRs, but received a story about breaking the record when he hit #36, because some other player had ended the previous year with 35.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that a player should be measured against his own records, not just the records established by others. I don't know why a player's own records would be a blind spot here, but apparently they are in historical play, at least.

EDIT - To clarify, the leaderboards are fine, but the PbP text and news stories appear to be off.

Last edited by JMDurron; 03-30-2014 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Clarification
JMDurron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:38 PM   #235
byzeil
All Star Starter

When I go to filter players in my organization from the roster page the 'Attributes' button is there in the lower right....but when I go the same place on the free agent page it isn't there.....
Roster page

Free Agent

It is MUCH easier to select the columns to filter by using the 'attributes' button than the pulldown menu.

Also, I saved the filter on the Free Agent page and that filter wasn't available on the roster page.

Last edited by byzeil; 03-30-2014 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:22 PM   #236
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

OK guys, I went through this thread during development of OOTP 15, and now most issues listed here have been fixed / added / improved. Some things unfortunately were not possible because they were rather big feature suggestions or simply too complicated to fix (i.e. league history issues when teams move, or the player pictures in the champions screen). But still, I think we've made great progress
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:43 PM   #237
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

One thing that bothers me is how staff members are handle as far as getting jobs. Far too often I see manager get hired by a MLB team with no prior history of managing or coaching not to mention when they do have a history they would have a terrible career record and then somehow get hired by a top MLB franchise like the Yankees.

But the real annoyance is when those said managers who've been horrible somehow managed to receive great ratings. (Hence why they were hired in the first place) so I guess my beef is that progression for staff members seem random and success doesn't play a role in staff getting better.

Oh and another thing is former pitchers becoming hitting coaches and former position players becoming pitching coaches..
SirMichaelJordan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:48 PM   #238
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMichaelJordan View Post
One thing that bothers me is how staff members are handle as far as getting jobs. Far too often I see manager get hired by a MLB team with no prior history of managing or coaching not to mention when they do have a history they would have a terrible career record and then somehow get hired by a top MLB franchise like the Yankees.

But the real annoyance is when those said managers who've been horrible somehow managed to receive great ratings. (Hence why they were hired in the first place) so I guess my beef is that progression for staff members seem random and success doesn't play a role in staff getting better.

Oh and another thing is former pitchers becoming hitting coaches and former position players becoming pitching coaches..
I don't disagree with your point but in real life the Yankees hired Joe Torre who by any analysis had poor ratings as a manager. Showalter was let go because he wanted to negotiate and Steinbrenner didn't like him. Showalter was a better manager based on results.

To me that's why it is so difficult to provide a realistic coaching/manager module. We don't know anyone is good until after they have success. Even then it is not clear who is responsible for the success. There is a scholarly article somewhere on the web which claims that high profile sports coach/management positions are often made for marketing publicity and media reasons (see Lou Piniella) instead of verifiable skill. Most analysis available suggests that managers contribute about 12% to the results (good or bad) each year.

MLB teams are showing that they understand things differently now by hiring inexperienced managers based more on personality assessment and straight non-baseball management skills. What I think they're telling us is that being a former player (catchers preferred) is enough ie he will have the respect of the players. After that its very likely the same type of skill assessment that you would look for in any "leadership" position including reasonable media skills. It's pretty obvious that a side benefit of hiring managers with no previous record is that the team doesn't have to answer questions about it. Controlling the media is a big deal.

Given that I think it's reasonable to conclude that MLB teams are telling us they don't think "baseball" management is a measurable skill.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:30 PM   #239
TheGrackle
Bat Boy

Hi

I'm all for lowering milestones as I also play a shorter 82 games season and have to my milestones in an Excel sheet.

Milestones also for shorter careers would be welcomed.

And how about adding new awards such as reliever of the year etc...

And how about team records for most wins in a season, losses in a season , runs scored in a season, least runs scored in a season etc...

Just a bunch of thoughts there!

Thanks for the opportunity and just love the game!
TheGrackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:24 PM   #240
thehef
Hall Of Famer

moved this to the v15 forum - http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ml#post3682825

Last edited by thehef; 04-24-2014 at 05:39 PM. Reason: better chance at response?
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote